It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:59 pm

Board index » General » Birthdays, Holidays and Newcomers Welcomes

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:50 pm 

I'm Hunter71495,

My real name is Ryan, I'm from central Pennsylvania, I'm a junior in high school and i turned 16 on July 14.What brings me here is the love for buggies and all off-road racing ;) Ever since i was a little kid i dreamed of owning a buggy. I currently do not have a buggy or a buggy project. I plan on getting a project buggy before Christmas. Personally i do not have very much knowledge in the field of off-road racing, but my cousins do (they own a welding and fab business) most of their business is off-road 4x4's and buggy's and other such vehicles, so i will have some help. I guess you could say off-road racing runs in my blood, my "dad" owned around 5 different 4x4's from back in the day until now. My parents are divorced though and that prick never bothers so, yeah. My brother and sister are both older then me and have long since moved out. So its just me and my mom and she's not a fan of dumping "thousands of dollars" into a puddle jumper but she says its my money and i can do what i want with it.

Back to the buggy though:

What i am thinking is a standard 2 seater buggy or just a little one seater.I have a limited budget and would love to have this project done by June,2012 in time for the first race. I would like to start out pretty small and "basic" and work my way up as i get more money and more experience.
The idea for 1 seater i would like to follow: (this is actual pictures from up at the 7 miler)
http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m49 ... /buggy.jpg
http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m49 ... buggy1.jpg
http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m49 ... buggy2.jpg
http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m49 ... buggy3.jpg

As you can see, it is one of the lowest(roof wise) buggy i have ever seen. Also its pretty short (length wise), lucky im only 5'6" :lol:

I'm not going to ride it around very much( like i would an atv), just here and there. My plan is to race it in the few off-road races we have around where i live.

http://www.lm4w.org -website for where im going to race

The trails are VERY TIGHT and the roughest trail's i will prolly ever see.

Do some youtube searches on the races if you want:
line mountain 7 miler
line mountain 3.5 miler
line mountain coal bucket

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:06 pm 

welcome to woodsbuggy and good luck with getting abuggy for your project there plenty of people on here to give advice on any part of a buggy so us posted on your build

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:35 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Welcome, I strongly recomend you post any buggy you are looking at buying with every bit of detail you can. There are enough of us on here that know what we are looking at and what it is worth. This way we can help you get the most bang for your buck and not just buy a headache.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:40 pm 

I agree. I just started on a project, and I have Jeff here to help me when I need him.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:37 pm 

Okay thanks for the welcoming guys and i will be sure to. we gota get on chat some time and chat and get to know each other. peace for now brah

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:54 pm 

Hunter, I am also a Yankee and grew up in Central Pa. Rode Tower City and Shamokin areas extensivly. Been to Line Mtn. many times, GREAT place. Welcome to Woods Buggy. These guys have more knowledge than any group I know of, and ALL will be willing to teach you everything they know, except maybe some of them Kentucky Boys, they have their own secret code. LMAO, only kidding, and no offence to the guys from Ky. This site is full of great people, enjoy us all. You made a great discovery here!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D 8) 8) :wink: Bye the way, where are you now?????

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:12 pm 

woogiebugger1 wrote:
Hunter, I am also a Yankee and grew up in Central Pa. Rode Tower City and Shamokin areas extensivly. Been to Line Mtn. many times, GREAT place. Welcome to Woods Buggy. These guys have more knowledge than any group I know of, and ALL will be willing to teach you everything they know, except maybe some of them Kentucky Boys, they have their own secret code. LMAO, only kidding, and no offence to the guys from Ky. This site is full of great people, enjoy us all. You made a great discovery here!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D 8) 8) :wink: Bye the way, where are you now?????

I live like 3 miles from trevorton dude! I used to go riding up there quite a bit on the old 1988 suzuki. But yea i know where tower city. I live right along 225 south of trevorton. and hell yea dude, it seems like a pretty awesome place to chat it up and learn alot! Whens the last time you were at LM?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:57 pm 

I wore out 2 buggies between Mahanoy City and Dornsife. If I had 20 bucks for every 23 deg. Stone I've worn out up there, I could give you a pair. That was great riding in the day. The miners used to leave the keys to the mine shacks for us to get " WARMED UP " as long as we kept everyone from fuc%in up their machinery. Of course, you can't be there every minute of the day, and gradually some of the places started closing down. We just started putting quieter extractors on and still sneak around. Locals loved us, gas ,cigarettes, food, BEER. Even the cops knew we needed fuel, so we could run down the streets, because the popo's daddy owned the gas station, sold the beer, food, and smokes. Talk about the " GOOD OLD DAYS " .
8) 8) 8)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:04 am 

And Line Mountain in 2010. That was the last time I was there, but my brother-in law lives in Malta ( Dalmatia ) , and I'll be coming that way soon.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:50 pm 

Hell yea bud, what your last name? since we are familiar with the races, maybe my mom knows you. and damn, i wish i could have been around for them days :(

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:58 pm 

WELCOME!!!! It is always nice to see new faces around.. I also am new to the site.. I have met some really good people on here, and most all can give good advice with any questions you may have..Good luck with your buggy!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:24 pm 
WB Contributor

small world guys! welcome! we'll see you on the trails sometime!oh my bed, i meant hills 8)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:26 am 

diamonddav wrote:
small world guys! welcome! we'll see you on the trails sometime!oh my bed, i meant hills 8)

I hope you meant my BAD :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:47 pm 
WB Contributor

thanks rick :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:19 pm 

I've been practicing welding on 1 inch steel pipe in school. I'm trying to get really good at it, because i know i will need to make some good welds for the buggy.

Also i have a question? How do you keep a nice bead all the way around the pipe? I can go about 180 degrees and need to turn it to get the other side, and it makes two beads and i was wondering if their was a way i could just make it out of one large bead?

Board index » General » Birthdays, Holidays and Newcomers Welcomes