It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:47 pm

Board index » Blogs » The Thoughts of Odyknuck

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Introduction
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:43 pm 
BOTM Winner

I would like to start off with a little of my background in Motorsport Mechanics and the offroad arena. Ever since I was a kid I have been fasinated with the Internal combustion Engine and the power its able to make. Remember the COX gas engine with the caster oil and glow plugs. Those were great! However I really wanted something I could drive so at the age of 13 I started to build a GO Cart. As I recall I never did finish it however the seed had been planted. The next project I started and actually finished was a MIni Bike. We had a field at the end of our street and it had some small hills . I soon found out about how Engines and gear ratios worked and eventually ended up with a torqey Mini bike that would climb the little hills in the field. Not long after that I bought my first RM 100 Dirt bike and eventually settled for the RM 250 class. Thats when I started going to Wellsville. I also did some Harescramble races. I soon learned that 2 cycle motors need top ends done on them often enough that I started doing them my self along with any maintenance required. I got out of the Dirt around the age of 32 (correction) and got into Harleys and rode them for a lot of years (and still do). I bought a Knucklehead basket case and built it from the ground up (actually 3 times in the last 20 years lol). After being into Harleys for awhile I started working part time in a Harley Pro builder shop and learned how to build HD Motors, transmissions and Custom BIkes. Years later I opened a part time Shop in My garage and still have it today going on 12 years. My shop is larger than it was in the beginning. You know gotta be able to park the Toys too. Anyways one day my buddy Plumberbill shows up at my door with a dirt bike and said we were going riding so off to Wellsville we went. Now mind you I had not been on a dirt bike in many many moons so it did not go to well. After about the 12th time being on the ground along came a Honda FL350 Odyssey. I looked at that and thought to my self now thats an old mans toy. It was not long before I had one and was doing every thing I could to make it go faster and ride better. Eventually I would graduate to the Honda Pilots and it was a whole new world of Offroad adventure in fast trail riding and Racing. I still have the Pilots and I enjoy them to this day. It was not long after I got the Pilots that I seen an add from a guy wanting to trade a Woodsbuggy for and Odyssey for his kid. I thought HMMM! I still had the Odyssey and it looksd interesting so I made the trade and the rest is History. That was the "Duck". I have been into the Big Buggys since. Well thats all for now. If I have bored you Its OK you only had to read it once! :mrgreen:

If you have a Buggy related subject you would like to read about PM me and I will gladly share my thoughts on it.

Post subject: Re: Introduction
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:40 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

This is a damn good story. It's good to hear how folk's got in to this sport. There should be a section just for this [The how did you get here section] :D I bet there would be some good ones

Post subject: Re: Introduction
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:37 am 
BOTM Winner

Thanks Rock. I find it funny on how once your into dirt it becomes a life long Obsession, even if it requires going full circle in life. :mrgreen:

Board index » Blogs » The Thoughts of Odyknuck