It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:12 am

Board index » General » Safety

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Which Safety Harness?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:46 pm 
WB Videographer and BOTM winner

I'm needing a new safety harness and was wanting everyones opinion. I have a belt now that the shoulder strap is stitched into lap belt. Can't remove the seat covers when they get wet. Rode all weekend at D&K with a wet arse.

I have heard cam locks are good but they look a bit more expensive but it seems alot easier. Looking through the catalogs they have a v mount: wrap around style, roll bar bolt in style and floor mount bolt in style. I don't know if the roll bar mount would be long enough to reach my mounting point.

Just trying to get any and all opinions and ideas before I buy one.

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:02 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Crow,RCI,any one of them .I like a crotch strap. But all mine just fit together with a lock leaver

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:08 pm 
Master fabricator

I would suggest the latch-release type. I know several that have cam-release and have had problems time to time with them sticking from dirt and stuff. Latch-release is low maintanance.

G
A

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:53 am 
WB Contributor

cam-locs suck for offroad unless you want to clean them out every ride. Simpson or RCI. I run the crotch strap also and would suggest it to anyone it really helps hold your lap belts down where they need to be. I never used to run one and put one in my single and love it, belts never move.

"Lets go get stupid"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:30 pm 
BOTM Winner

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Safety-Ra ... t,882.html

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:53 pm 
BOTM Winner

I started out with the latch release style and thought they sucked. I use Simpson cam locs now and like them a lot better. It is true they do tend to hang up at times however If you spray them up with WD40 before and after a ride they work fine.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:03 pm 
WB Contributor

I have the impact belts you asked me about in mine and they are looped around the roll bar behind the seat instead of bolted and have over a foot of extra to spare
I have always ran latch type not to mention the yellow lightning bolt would look cool on your yellow buggy LOL

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:58 pm 

Well, I run cam-lock belts and love them there made by SABELT.COM (FREE) but before that I had simpson cam-lock belts and I loved them also. Most all belts will be plenty long to reach to where your mounting them. Allthough the mounting location is pretty low compared to your seat. Just follow the diagram that comes with the belts you choose. And the best belts are the ones you wear no matter what.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:35 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Here are a few mounting diagrams
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=5382&p=43001#p43001

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:45 am 

Thank you

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:51 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I am not sure how you run your shoulder straps but my shoulder straps are stitched to the lap belt and I can still take off my seat covers. I unhook the sides, slide the belt through the sides of the cover. Once both sides are out, I can remove the bottom of the seat cover and then pull the seat cover through the entire harness.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:30 am 
WB Videographer and BOTM winner

MickeyMouse wrote:
I am not sure how you run your shoulder straps but my shoulder straps are stitched to the lap belt and I can still take off my seat covers. I unhook the sides, slide the belt through the sides of the cover. Once both sides are out, I can remove the bottom of the seat cover and then pull the seat cover through the entire harness.

Mine is the same. I just didn't want to ubolt the sides and shoulder strapeverytime I wanted to take the seat cover off. I have my new ones in just not mounted yet.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:03 pm 

How many "points" would anybody recommend for a hill climbing harness and is a good idea to buy harnesses from speed shops that sell them cheap because of them being "out of date" I don't want to waste my money on a harness.
Thanks! Cameron

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:22 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

If you like the harness you have and you are only replacing it so you can get your seat covers off, you might want to keep your harness and use clips on the side straps. I have the same belts with the shoulder straps attached to the lap belt and I can remove my covers by unclipping the sides. Check out 3829 in the picture below..

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:24 pm 
Global moderator

dieseltechy360 wrote:
How many "points" would anybody recommend for a hill climbing harness and is a good idea to buy harnesses from speed shops that sell them cheap because of them being "out of date" I don't want to waste my money on a harness.
Thanks! Cameron

5 point are best , the crotch strap keeps the belts in place and keeps you in tight. the out of date harness is fine as long as it is not compromised by decay or damage

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:27 pm 

Firebug wrote:
dieseltechy360 wrote:
Thanks! Cameron

5 point are best , the crotch strap keeps the belts in place and keeps you in tight. the out of date harness is fine as long as it is not compromised by decay or damage

Ok Thanks! I hope to be out trail riding soon!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:15 pm 

I like 5 point belts with all 3 inch & a 2 inch crotch strap. That crotch strap is freakin great. It really keeps the belts low. Ive run most brands & liked M&R the best due to the color selection. Ive got cam locks for my car but think latch type are better in a buggy & are cheaper.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 3:02 am 

So which is better, bolt in or wrap arounds. I am to the point I have to order harnesses but lots to decide on.Are the 2 seperate mount shoulder belts better than the single mounting point? I talked to Phil at Phils bug shack and he prefered rci over rjs because he said the buckles are smaller on the rci. You Kentucky guys are lucky because I thought I was in heaven when I was at Phils. Loved the buggy with the saturn motor....hey wait I drive a saturn!!! Next winter's project?

Board index » General » Safety