It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:20 am

Board index » General » Safety

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I'm excited
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:14 pm 

The DOT has spent a lot of your tax dollars studying motorcycle helmets, how they protect, how they can kill/ paralyze, etc. and I've never felt they were best suited to buggies without some type of neck restraint also(mainly because of the weight). IMHO. While lurking around some old posts I found ncbuggy's link to Simpson and the Pit Warrior helmet which only weighs 2 lbs.,is heavily ventilated, has a wide field of vision, etc. and a very attractive price. If you couple this with a foam neck roll it may be a more user friendly and safer alternative to a motocycle helmet. I'm gonna get me one!

Post subject: Re: I'm excited
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:19 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I would do a little more research. I cannot find anywhere that says these are DOT or SNELL approved. I think they are only intended for the "Pit" crew and not for the racers.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:01 pm 

I was suspect on the non DOT rating since the Simpson site said it was for off road. I never did rely on my government to protect me so the lack of DOT certification is a non issue, it just means that it is not a street legal motorcyle helmet. There are racing certifications, etc. that can certify a helmet for motocross, car racing and these may actually be better purpose built helmets than a DOT helmet. I was just thinking this may be a good choice for a buggy with the addition of a neck collar.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:32 am 
WB Contributor

you should check out mountain bike helmets this ones pretty cool and comes in at 2 lbs
http://www.amazon.com/Giro-Remedy-Bike-Helmet/dp/B000BO3CTQ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:19 pm 

If that helmet is good enough for the mx bikers and the sick stunts they are doing then who am I to say no? About the same price as the Pit Warrior and seems to have a lot in common with it. Thanks for the tip.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:07 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I agree with the weight issue, I was surprised i didnt hurt my kneck when I slammed a tree.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:48 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

http://simpsonraceproducts.com/products ... 6994&sort=
This is a link to the Simpson helmet.I called and they said it is not dot or snell approved.
Would the rules committee or hill climb committee consider letting someone run this type of helmet.it actually shows a buggy in the uses picture and is made for offroading.I do believe a lighter helmet would be safer for us in our application due to rolling rather than an impact issue well I guess impacting trees as well, :shock: um cough,cough,nitro,cough.just putting it out there to see what you think. Chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:48 pm 
Master fabricator

I own a Simpson pit helmet, they are very light and have excellent field of view. They are light enough to not require the use of a neck collar. ANY full size helmet should be used with a collar because of it's weight and the damage it can do to the unsupported head/neck. DOT and SNELL ratings are there because of the speed in which the helmet is being used (impact rating) If what we are doing involved high speeds I would say DOT/SNELL rated helmets AND a rated neck collar would be required together. For the low speed incidents we are involved in, something to keep from banging your brain bucket on the roll bars is all we need.
I worked in EMS for a couple of decades, yes helmets can do more damage than you would think.

G
A

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:07 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I agree mike.the lady said they are not dot approved because they are not intended for highway use,they are designed for off road use and I believe the lightness would make them safer for us rather unsafe.anytime your strapping weight to your head you risk injury in a roll over or head on due to the force the weight puts on your neck.the helmets are designed for impact where the motorcycle guys momentum carries him off the bike and he crashes against something.flipping a buggy strapped in a five point seatbelt is going to stop your body but not the helmet.unless you have a neck brace or straps on your helmet to keep from moving.I think a skate boarders helmet would be even better,but at least this helmet is made by a reliable manufacturer.Chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:17 am 

I do concur with the opinions which are for lighter helmets/ neck restraints which may lessen the likelyhood of a neck injury. One of the DOT tests was to drop a bowling ball onto the helmet from a significant height and then examine the helmet for fractures. This helps explain why a DOT helmet has to weigh what it does. By the strictest interpretation ,read liability waiver, ANY type crack in a helmet condems it even if it is dropped on concrete and a superficial crack appears, so there are DOT approved helmets being worn that aren't DOT approvced anymore( but they are still good helmets). Another bitch I have is our Chinese friends generally produce one size of polycarbonate shell for motorcycle helmets and the difference in sizes is created with different polystyrene liners, ergo the guy with a pea sized skull gets better protection than the guy with the punkin head like me. ( unless you pony up the ching and get a proffesional grade hemet). All discussions about safety are good because the one thing about safety is it is never fixed.

Board index » General » Safety