It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:03 pm

Board index » General » Safety

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:29 am 
WB Contributor

We rode at stoney lonesome yesterday and was playing on a hill that you couldnt see over the top of. It was one of the hills you have to launch over and land in the road. Me and Tony Kiley was standing in the road when a buggy came flying over the top and nearly landed on us. Luckily we was paying attention and got out of the way. What concerns me is the kids that was running around playing. They dont really pay attention to things like that. I think it should be up to the driver to stop and make sure the path is clear and everyone knows which way he or she is going. I had to just walk away from the situation after that happened. It scared the shit out of me. I saw a guy get killed just like that in the national forest about 15 years ago and just to think about how easy it could have just happened again. Lets use our heads when rideing and keep this sport safe.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:08 pm 

I second that.Every weekend when cromer was open,guys on dirtbikes and quads would travel 2 to 300 miles just to race up and down the main trail wide open.That is why somebody got seriously hurt or killed on holiday weekends.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:57 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I was riding a few weeks ago at Durhamtown plantation and it was nice because everything was one-way and extremely well marked. All of the Trails were one-way and the play spots / jumps were marked one-way as well..

It was nice to know that someone was not going to be coming head-on around a corner.

Not only were the trails marked, they were heavily patrolled and they kept the less skilled riders off the advanced/extreme trails.

Overall it is a great place to ride. I was riding a 4 wheeler but I hope to bring the buggy back to the off road park soon.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:22 pm 
WB Contributor

We were jumping a large dirt pile at Fultondale 5 years ago and we stopped for 30 minutes to fix something.We got it fixed and started all over. I went behind the dirt pile to take a leak and there were two 6 year olds boys playing with their toy buggies in the dirt. I hollared at the dad and I have not seen them back out there since.It scared him pretty bad I spose.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:20 am 
WB Contributor

Alot of people really dont take things like this serious. Most adults pay attention to whats goin on around when riding but the kids are off playing and not paying attention. In another case yesterday a buggy climbed a hill and after on flat ground matted the gas to the floor and slung rocks and shit all over a bunch of people. Among these people was a young boy. His dad was pissed. From now on when this kind off crap starts Im going else where. I used to drink and ride but there are limits that need to be met. I just dont want anyone to get hurt or killed because of carelessness. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:58 am 
WB Contributor

This is always a huge problem that comes along with riding wellsville. I remember when i was a little kid we were on our way in to yellowcreek down the road by the river, and come up on ambulances cops all of that, We sat there in our motorhome for hours before we could get threw, Some idiot on a 4wheeler come around the corner haulin ass, and went head on into a buggy. Didnt see any of it , But from what we were told the guy basically splattered all over the buggy. Another incident when i was younger was my cousin was walking to go take a leak when a 4wheeler flew over a hill and ran him over, Luckily he was fine. Always keep an eye out, Its not so much yourself you have to worry about its the other moron.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:12 am 

I will always have a tall flag mounted on my buggy.
It is so the guy coming the other way will see the
flag before he sees you. That extra split second makes
all the difference on a blind hill top. This is not just
for the dunes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:39 am 

Yeah. The tall flag gives you that extra second to shit your pants before you collide..... Just like at Silver Lake.... That place is mostly one way, with flags and NO BEER and people get hurt/die there all the time too.

Safety off roading is like safety in a dynamite factory. Your always safe right up the point where- BOOOOM!

Board index » General » Safety