It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:23 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Air Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:05 am 

Me and my buddy are looking to rebuild our dual port 1641 engine and thought, what the hell, why not just make it a bigger bore while we're at it?
We're going to be on a really tight budget when we do it, but we want to make sure that we do it right at the same time. We're thinking about making it a 1915, not stroked due to its extra costs.
If we decide to do this, what is absolutely necessary regarding replacing parts, and what existing parts just need to be inspected and possibly not replaced?
Also, I know the case and heads need to be machined, but I've also heard that the case should be line bored as well. Is this true and what exactly does line boring mean?
Thanks a lot, and you guys might be seeing some newbies out on the trails soon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:19 pm 
WB Contributor

Cam and lifters, heads, block and heads clearanced for the pistons, oil pump if it was mine, pistons and rods. You will need a crab or carbs. I built mine at $2400 that was labor and everything. Depends on what you want to do to how expensive it will cost you. Take off $350 for labor and you will have a ball park figure. Hope this helps.

The wild kids

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:53 pm 

If your looking to save costs you can always use a 34 pict- 3. Yes not the best but surely does work fine!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:22 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Happy, owner of Happy's Bugshop put it right on the money one time. He said "There are three components to a VW engine build, BUT You can only have two of them:

Cheap
Powerful
Reliable
You have to pick one . The most you get is two, and noone gets three"

I agree with Wild Kids on the money required to build a GOOD motor that will be enjoyable to operate and will last you a while if you maintain it. If you are trying to go super cheap, then you must understand a long engine life cannot be expected, but you can do it for $700 or so if you want to run an induction system (carb[s] and intakes)that you already have. Call Tim at Southern-buggies. Tell him I told you about him. I know its a long ride from our city to London, but its worth it . I go down there every couple of months, and a guy I work with goes twice a month to see his mom down there. Either of us will be glad to carry stuff for you. Tim is as honest as the day is long, and he is AWESOME about saving you money, if thats your goal in your build. He can also go all out, if thas what you tell him to do. A friend of mine who only rides on the street (puss! :twisted: ) and is on a close budget just had Tim build him a 1915 long block, and the bill is less than $700. New P&C's, new oil pump, new Engle 110 cam & lifters, punch out block and heads, reman stock rods. My friend sent him a good block with studs in it (line bore was ok) crank he already owned that needed only polishing, stock heads, stock rockers and pushrods,and a lightened flywheel. Tim's labor charge is $200- $250 on non-strokers. This one was $200 because it wasnt turnkey. (He does test fire and break in the cam on turnkeys).
Granted this is not gonna set any horsepower records, but my buddy has a fresh, reliable 1915 and didnt break his bank.
Do what you will ,there is nothing in it for me other than returning business to a very honest and eager to please shop owner and fellow woodsbuggy rider, whom I now consider a friend after the way he has treated me and EVERYONE I know who has dealt with him.

Larry

Oh BTW, line boring is a machining process that trues up the main saddles, where the main bearings ride in the case halves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:42 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Quote:
Happy, owner of Happy's Bugshop put it right on the money one time. He said "There are three components to a VW engine build, BUT You can only have two of them:

Cheap
Powerful
Reliable
You have to pick one . The most you get is two, and noone gets three"

Ask him where he heard that Larry............ :lol:

Turbo VW Sand Racer
Polaris Ranger

"If you don't run into the Devil every once in awhile, you must be going in the same direction!"

Davis Motorsports FaceBook Page

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:45 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Should've known !! I dont think we've met, but Happy has mentioned your name a few times when we talk woodsbuggies!! Davis racing, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:17 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

[quote='kybuggy1']Should've known !! I dont think we've met, but Happy has mentioned your name a few times when we talk woodsbuggies!! Davis racing, right?[/quote]

Yup.........

My ears have been burning lately too.......... :lol:

Turbo VW Sand Racer
Polaris Ranger

"If you don't run into the Devil every once in awhile, you must be going in the same direction!"

Davis Motorsports FaceBook Page

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:45 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Wasn't me, I haven't talked to Happy in months!! :lol:

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:48 am 

Thanks guys, something to think about. Luckily I'm in no hurry...

Board index » Tech and Fab » Air Cooled Engines