It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:55 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Air Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ignition.....
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:25 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

So instead of bombing deans thread on his buggy with more ignition questions, i decided to just make a thread. So, my questions... Which MSD coil do u reccommend with say a flamethrower electronic ignition? Does MSD make an electronic ignition for VW's with out having to buy the 270 dollar distributor? Does anyone know anything about the Mallory distributor listed on summit? http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku Alright, I think that's it for the moment. Sorry about all my questions lately, I just want my buggy to be legit for once haha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:58 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I use the Blaster 2 with my Pertronix system.

Never used that Mallory system.

Turbo VW Sand Racer
Polaris Ranger

"If you don't run into the Devil every once in awhile, you must be going in the same direction!"

Davis Motorsports FaceBook Page

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:35 pm 
BOTM Winner

Mallory makes a great product. All of their stuff is good.

If you decide on an MSD coil, either the blaster II or the High Vibration are two great choices. I currently run both of them, the HV on my buggy and the Blaster II on my big block Ford.

Which ever one you decide on is up to you. You will have to use a ballast resistor inline with the hot side of the coil if you choose one of these.
They will both work with the Pertronics igniter. I do not know about the Mallory. I will assume it would be compatible with that as well. Mallory makes some great coils as well.

Anything is better than the POS Bosch Blue coil. That thing was designed for points and does not have much kick to it. You will actually "hear" the difference in the way the motor sounds when you change to a good coil.

Keep in mind when you increase the voltage output of the coil, you can open up the plug gap some more. 42-52 depending on the output.

Roy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:43 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

does it matter if the coil is for a volkswagen or not? Will i need a coil box if i go to electronic ignition? Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:46 pm 
BOTM Winner

It does not matter. Any coil will work on a VW. It throws out a spark when triggered. That is all it does.
What do you mean by "coil Box"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:53 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

im not sure myself, my uncle told me iwth the electronic ignition id need a coil box... he may have been thinking about an ignition box. like an msd 6200 or something of that nature. so all i need for this would be the coil ballast resistor and the electronic ignition package and then im done? sorry for the confusion, im slow on the electrical side of things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:14 pm 
BOTM Winner

[quote='JeffClay']im not sure myself, my uncle told me iwth the electronic ignition id need a coil box... he may have been thinking about an ignition box. like an msd 6200 or something of that nature. so all i need for this would be the coil ballast resistor and the electronic ignition package and then im done? sorry for the confusion, im slow on the electrical side of things.[/quote]

Yes, that is all you need for a great working ignition system. I recommend getting a GOOD se

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:16 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

so i went up to summit today and picked up a MSD Blaster High Vibration Coil and a set of Taylor 8mm wires, but they are the type you have to put your own ends on. I think this combination oughta work out pretty well... Oh and i was going to buy a Pertonix Flamethrower electronic ignition, but they wanted 130 bucks for it at summit. Looks like im going to LA Products to pick that one up for 60 or 70 bucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:17 am 
BOTM Winner

That will be a good combination of stuff for a great working ignition system. It's nice to make your own wires, I always do that. You can make each one to the length that fits nicely on your motor.
Don't forget the ballast resistor.

One more thing I did not mention is you can get a special rotor button for the 009 distributor that has been modified and has the factory resistor removed from it. They are a good thing to get to give you more spark energy.

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=1253

Roy

Board index » Tech and Fab » Air Cooled Engines