It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:55 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Air Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:17 pm 

Can anyone provide any pictures/input on routing a morse style push pull throttle cable for an AC motor. Can this type of cable be routed through the fan shroud and bracketed on either side?

Any pictures or advice would be helpful.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:41 pm 
BOTM Winner

I used one when I built my last car. Used it for a couple months then pulled it out and threw it away. Do not like them. Good for a boat or something like that but throttle control it is not the best choice. This is just my opinion. Some may love them.

Buy the best and cry once.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:52 am 

I am with Roy on this one. There were too
many situations where I needed to "feather" the throttle. The heavy boat throttle cable was not responding in kind. I am back to a thin garage door
cable ...and I love it!
I will re-purpose my push-pull cables for my
new transmission shifter?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:32 pm 

Bought a Silver Lake buggy a few years back that had one. Had to have 10lb. Springs to work right even new.

My buggy throttle is 1.5 sticks of 5/16 brake line from autozone and $4 worth of steel cable and crimp ferrules. With another $4 invested for the spare in the trailer.

The spare is starting to get rusty from sitting after 5 seasons in the tool box because I can't kill the first one.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:41 am 
BOTM Winner

lngtrvl2332 wrote:
Bought a Silver Lake buggy a few years back that had one. Had to have 10lb. Springs to work right even new.

My buggy throttle is 1.5 sticks of 5/16 brake line from autozone and $4 worth of steel cable and crimp ferrules. With another $4 invested for the spare in the trailer.

The spare is starting to get rusty from sitting after 5 seasons in the tool box because I can't kill the first one.

same for me on both buggies

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:40 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I heard they also get mud stuck in them easily and cause poor performance. I currently run a 5/16" or 1/4" brake line (cant remember exactly), with a separate piece through the fan shroud with a coupler for ease of disconnect. My cable is some sort of teflon coated stainless I got from a friend that works really well. I use a knarp at the linkage and bought a ferrule and thimble from Menards to attach at my throttle pedal. I really like this set-up, and it is rigid so your throttle response isn't compromised with a flexing tube...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:15 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:17 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Looks like it cut the pictures off. If you look on the tapatalk app you can see them. The forum is kind of screwed up right now.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:16 am 

I had an issue on my first buggy with the brake line holding water in the low spots and rusting/freezing depending on Temps. This time around I used a Brake T-Fitting instead of a straight coupler between the 2 sticks of brake line and rigged a grease zerk into the T for periodic lubrication. It has worked very well. Way better than trying to shoot WD40 in from either end.

Don't get too excited with the grease though or it will bind worse than the Morse Cable until you work some of it back out.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Air Cooled Engines