It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:43 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Air Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dual carb vs single carb
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:24 pm 

I'm running a 1915 with dual 44 empi carbs. It runs pretty good just bogs down really bad on hills unless your really into the throttle and has flat spots also. I was wondering if I switched to a single 44 carb if it would clean these types of issues up.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:21 pm 

What tranny are you running? 44's are a little big for a 1915 and I wouldn't go to a single carb either. Try to trade for a smaller pair,like 36 Dellorto's or 40 Webers.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:11 pm 

3 rib bus and why do you think I should keep the duals

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:59 pm 

Buckmaster wrote:
What tranny are you running? 44's are a little big for a 1915 and I wouldn't go to a single carb either. Try to trade for a smaller pair,like 36 Dellorto's or 40 Webers.

X2... your problem is not the duals, but the carbs themselves IMO. I run dual dellorto 40s with no problems what so ever. Great low end pull and tons of power on top. Yes, you may get a little more low end response with a single over duals but its not enough to out weigh the benefits of a finely tuned set of duals. A single weber or dellorto would be a huge improvement over dual empi carbs.. im sure they could be tuned to run correctly but with anything empi, your just buying time until the inevitable happens... and thats getting dellorto or weber carbs 8)

Save a tree... eat a Beaver

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:56 am 
BOTM Winner

I ran dual 44's for years on my 1915. it just takes time to get every little thing set up right. you can put smaller venturis in them to help with the low end and getting them jetted correctly and lowering the floats should help a bunch. There is no such thing as a bolt on carb!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:34 am 

Another problem with this is that I honestly don't have the funds to buy another set of dual carbs. So it's either fix these a little better or go with a single. Maybe trade the pair for a single weber 44 set up

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:30 pm 
WB Contributor

Like racebuggy said they will work . My wife's buggy has a 1915 with 44's but i had to go down on venturi size and rejet them .

Sent from my LGL31L using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:00 pm 
WB Contributor

you live in cleves ohio? if so go to the off road center and talk to them. or drews in hamilton

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:13 am 
BOTM Winner

Switching to a single is not the answer. They are much harder to tune than the duals. Your problem is they need to be dialed in {tuned} to your motor. First off, they are too big. You will have to choke them down to a smaller size by switching the venturi. This will help a lot. Then, you will need to tune them to your motor using jet reamers or getting new jets. Duals will run awesome at all rpm,s once you get them set up right. I run dual 44's on my 1915 and they work perfect. Took a while to get them right but I wouldn't want anything else. {well, maybe fuel injection}

Buy the best and cry once.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:05 pm 

What size venturi should I run then.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:09 pm 
BOTM Winner

Well, that depends on what heads you are using. If the heads are fairly stock or have one size bigger valves, I would start with a set of 32mm venturis. This will get you more throttle response at all rpm ranges. If your heads have huge valves and big ports, you may want to go with some 34mm vents instead. If your heads are bone stock and your cam is very mild, you can even run 28's or 30's. Most 1915 motors will run well on 32's. That's what I have in mine. Keep in mind, when you change to a smaller venturi, this makes the carb run richer. You may have to put smaller jets in it throughout to lean it out. If you are not famailar with tuning these things, you may want to grab some reading material and educate yourself a little. They are really easy to figure out once you understand them. DOn't give up on them, once dialed in, your motor will come alive like you wouldn't believe.

Buy the best and cry once.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:57 am 
BOTM Winner

have you cleaned them lately? did you get rid of the cheapy air cleaner bases? Dual carbs will NOT tolerate any dirt on the inside. I clean mine after every ride and never have a problem.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Air Cooled Engines