It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:37 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Air Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:37 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Last year I bought a stroker motor used and I've never got it to run right. When I first put it on it started right up and sounded awesome. Took buggy out for a ride and it started missing and sputtering as soon as left the truck. Full throttle would open up and run great then die off and miss. It's got dual 40's so I checked the jets and put them back ran good for a mile then same thing. I changed all gas lines filters and took carbs off and cleaned them and put new gaskets in them. #1 header would not get hot. Put new plugs in changed plug wires readjusted valves same thing. Checked compression had equal on all cylinders no leak off. Cleaned the jet on #1 again and ran perfect on all 4 cylinders,sounded perfect. Today I started it backed out of building and as soon as I got on it hard up the road it started spitting and sputtering and cutting out. I'm aggravated and just looking for some opinions before I start all over and tear into it. Thanks. Chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:41 pm 

I tried but I can't resist....... WC :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:52 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Psycho Alpha wrote:
I tried but I can't resist....... WC :)

I knew that was probably coming but it ain't gonna happen with this buggy,lol. Chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:41 pm 

I don't have much AC experience but my old buggy I battled that problem for years on my Weber IDF. Until I finally tore carb all the way down, soaked it, cleaned like crazy and total rebuilt it. Ran perfect the whole weekend then I sold it lol.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:13 pm 

I had the same exact problem. Spit shudder and a cold cylinder. Did the same thing to the carb. Finally changed out carb to duals, which you already got, and that fixed it. Something in the carb that I could not find or fix.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:06 am 

If you are sure that it is fuel delivery (and not electrical (points)) that is causing the sputtering, you will become a carb expert.
I always keep carb books around and read them cover to cover before I start on VW carbs.
I do remember that you do need to follow this list everytime that you are troubleshooting:
1 ) good compression
2 ) perfect gaskets and good crankcase vacuum. Sealing flanges on carb(s) not warped.
3 ) NO blowby (glazing of cylinder walls from previous carb problems).
4 ) No cold surfaces on intake(s) where fuel vapor can condense.
5 ) No initial sputtering of fuel when throttle is opened.
6 ) Proper jetting with no clogs.
7 ) Proper float settings. Use new floats if needed (weigh them).
8 ) Carb upgrades including float bowl overflow protection.
9 ) Idle circuit in carbs must be flawless. This circuit ensures proper fuel flow at the lowest vacuum levels. Sometimes just drilling a tiny hole in the butterflys can keep the idle circuit active at all times.
10 ) Too much air volume. Sometimes venturis are just too big. Vacuum is all about regulating air flow, just like the butterfly does.
The venturi also influences air turbulence.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:19 am 

New set of carbs ..or soak the carbs ,make sure your gas tank is clean also , after you soak the carbs take a air hose and blow threw all the vains ,and while your at it check for intake leaks you never know ..

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:53 am 

I can't find the video I watched to rebuild mine.
But in video the guy was using a brand new set of carbs and you wouldn't believe all the junk he cleaned out of them just from the manufacturing process!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:40 pm 
BOTM Winner

sounds like a clogged idle circuit and not enough fuel in the bowls. invest in some good aluminum base plates and tops for your filters. keep that dirt out!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:00 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Thanks guys. I was just aggravated. I tore everything apart and cleaned the hell out of them put back on changed coil,distributor, new cap fired it up ran perfect. Took up the road ran the piss out of it and it never missed a beat. Had to have been in that one carb I believe. This little motor revs quicker and seems like it's got more torque than my 2387. Can't wait to put it on some climbs and see how it does. Chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:44 pm 

Glad to hear you got it straightened out. My buggy is almost done and id like to come out your way and do some riding. Ill let you know when its ready.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Air Cooled Engines