It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:06 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Air Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: electronic distributor?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:41 pm 

1835 vw in light sandrail, have a single IDF weber. Thought I would rid the flat spot so I installed a hot spark distributor, the first one I received was nearly impossible to find a spot where it didn't backfire, installed as per instructions. Put my 009 back in until I received a hot spark replacement, the 009 runs great except for the flat spot.
Installed the hot spark replacement, a little better but still back fires off idle. I did replace the cap and rotor.
Thinking about putting the 009 back in, any ideas?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:20 pm 

Hope this helps. Had a 2180 years ago that always had the flat spot, would set the points to .016" over and over, no help. Mentioned this to a VW sage locally and he asked if I had checked the dwell, to which I replied it was a VW and not a SBC, no dwell specs or adjustment in the distributor. He then enlightened me to set it at 48-52 degrees dwell by playing with the point gap. Lo and behold the man was right, took out the flat spot and from then on I set them all with a dwell meter. Alas, I got out of bugs for about 20 years and no longer have a dwell meter, but if you can find one try that. Made a believer out of me.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Air Cooled Engines