It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:26 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Air Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:59 pm 

Ok a buddy of mine has a running 2000cc 1971 bus engine with a working alternator it is wore it has 51 lbs of compression all the way around and holds about 7 psi of oil pressure at idle. someone has converted it to a single carb with a ford carburetor which also needs work. does any one have any idea what this would be worth he has had a few low ball offers but i dont want to see him get screwed over.He is trying to get a set of ag tires so any info would be great. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:54 pm 

100 bucks :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:59 pm 

is that really all its worth? if so it would be worth more to part it out.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:21 pm 
WB Contributor

Worth scrap value. Too expensive to save type 4 parts are double those of a type one. They make great boat anchors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:39 pm 

ok Thanks i think he had someone wanting to pay $300 for it i guess i will tell him to jump on it. but yes i too notice parts where astronomically higher than type 1.
Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:41 pm 
WB Contributor

No problem I ran a type 4 Porsche 914 engine or should I say my 2.8 liter sat on my bench more than it ran

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:48 pm 

So are you running the acura tl engine I have one with 58k miles and I'm thinking of running it but is it too much for a stock six rib I have a three now but I know it's too much for that? Did you make your harness or buy one I know the comp.would need reflash end to eliminate the chip just main thing is harness and if a trans would hold together. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:02 am 
WB Contributor

EVERYBODY ON HERE HATES ME. BUT DREAM UP A DONOR CAR MOTOR AND TRANS AND IT WILL RULE. bUT PUT SOME SPIKEY TIRES ON IT 1ST. IT MAY NOT GRIP ON A MODERATE HILL AT 1ST , BUT WHEN IT GETS STEEEEP , THE WEIGHT IS JUST RITE AND YOU CAN GET ALL IN THE GAS.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:07 am 

Ok then your talking about running baby chains yes I have a whole donor car that's why I was asking if you did the harnes conversion yourself or if you paid someone to make it stand alone.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:14 am 
WB Contributor

SORRY FOR SKIPPING TO THE POINT , bUT TRASH IT. I LOVE THE PASSAT SET UP BUT IF PEOPLE WOULD QUIT ATTACKING IT AND BUILD ON IT... dAM 250 STARTERS , 600 ADAPTERS, 400 OIL PUMPS, 1400 HEADS 600 CRANKS 400 SHOCKS....... MY TRAILING ARM IS 38" AND FLOOOOOOOOOAAATS ACROSS B/S WITH A $10 SHOCK. wHO SAID IT? I SAID IT ... DAM A $400 C/V JOINT WHEN YER KIDS NEED TO GO TO COLLEDGE. dID YOU KNOW THAT IF YA CALL YOUR NEAREST COLLEGE YOU CAN INVEST TODAYS DOLLARS TO PUT YOUR NEWBORN IN SCHOOL AT 2034 PRICES? qUIT DOUBLE F#CK!N YER FAMILY!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:24 am 

Hey I'm all about the best bang for the buck that's why I don't have vw power. I can't afford it so I used what I had around which at the time was a 2.3 ranger fuel injected and my rail already had the adapter to start but I'm thinking of building another with more power that's why I'm looking at the acura swap

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:40 am 
BOTM Winner

2800passat wrote:
SORRY FOR SKIPPING TO THE POINT , bUT TRASH IT. I LOVE THE PASSAT SET UP BUT IF PEOPLE WOULD QUIT ATTACKING IT AND BUILD ON IT... dAM 250 STARTERS , 600 ADAPTERS, 400 OIL PUMPS, 1400 HEADS 600 CRANKS 400 SHOCKS....... MY TRAILING ARM IS 38" AND FLOOOOOOOOOAAATS ACROSS B/S WITH A $10 SHOCK. wHO SAID IT? I SAID IT ... DAM A $400 C/V JOINT WHEN YER KIDS NEED TO GO TO COLLEDGE. dID YOU KNOW THAT IF YA CALL YOUR NEAREST COLLEGE YOU CAN INVEST TODAYS DOLLARS TO PUT YOUR NEWBORN IN SCHOOL AT 2034 PRICES? qUIT DOUBLE F#CK!N YER FAMILY!

Nobody hates you on this site. We just feel that you are out there, off the wall and over the top and your constantly trying to convince everybody to build junkyard toys like yours in every thread. We don't care and will build what works for us. Yours is the exception not the rule so if you would just get over yourself and except the fact that nobody wants what you have, life would be grand for you here. :roll: :wink: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:05 am 
BOTM Winner

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:45 am 

Your bus engine is worthless. But odyknucks quote is priceless :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:07 pm 
BOTM Winner

OP take the 300 for the motor and move on. I have been sitting on a torn apart 1800 for years. There is a select market for them. Jake Raby is about the only vendor that deals with them.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:52 pm 

ok thanks i will tell him to jump on it. I thought since the rebuilt engines where so high that they might be worth a little but yes the parts are stupid high too.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:19 am 
WB Contributor

Hi Ody. You attract the rich kids. The po kids look my way but they may not be skilled at backyard fabbing. I enjoy building out of junkyards. Just like people with plastic (Visa), build theirs' straight off the ups truck. So far I have not had anything break from a junkyard. Only human error mechanical issues such as a bad weld , overheat, wire snags a branch etc. Had the center of a 930 crack in 1/2 last week, but that was off the truck.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:46 am 
BOTM Winner

I don't know about attracting the rich kids here as I think most of us are of the typical working class. Granted there are a few of us who are fortunate enough to have the skills and a little more disposable cash to be able to afford the high dollar stuff. I have no kids at home or in college and my wife unit and I work full time , so that makes a big difference on what I am able to do. I also have no issues with what you build. My issue is your constant imposition on others no matter what the thread context is. :|

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:12 am 
BOTM Winner

Passat, Here's an ideal. We have a Blog section on the forum. A perfect place for you to discuss your Junkyard toys until the cows come home. You could even title it "Junk yard Toys by Passat" The home of "Your Junks-R-Us" This way you do not have to hijack every other thread to get your point across. :wink:

Board index » Tech and Fab » Air Cooled Engines