It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:38 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Air Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oil relief questions
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:21 pm 
WB Contributor

I got an external oil cooler and it came with new relief pistons and springs. The springs are a lot stiffer than the old ones and one of the pistons is different than stock. Should I put these in or use the old ones? Where does the different piston go? I'm eliminating the shroud cooler and running everything through the full flow. The cooler kit is supposed to run off the adapter that replaces the shroud cooler.

Posted using the WoodsBuggy Mobile App

Last edited by hpfreak on Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Oil relief questions
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:26 pm 
WB Contributor

Attachment:
1384907198158.jpg
1384907198158.jpg [ 51.41 KiB | Viewed 5529 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:39 pm 

Keep the shroud cooler ...And run the other cooler with it. Keep the old springs too .

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:45 pm 
WB Contributor

My old cooler is not a doghouse cooler. Would you still keep it?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:31 pm 

I would try and send the cooler kit back and get a doghouse cooler it can't be beat! No hoses no clamps no leaks no electric fan........

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:31 pm 

No but I would go to a dog house that's the best way to keep your engine cool. Then add an additional cooler if needed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:36 am 
BOTM Winner

I agree with what Travis and Darrel said.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:52 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I run a bus dog house cooler,they are bigger and seems to cool better. Chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:18 pm 
WB Contributor

Thanks guys. I'm gonna run this for now and scour the swap meets for a doghouse setup.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:08 pm 
BOTM Winner

If you must use the remote oil cooler, run it from the full flow fittings, not the oil cooler adapter. Always KEEP the stock oil cooler in place no matter what kind it is. This is important.

Buy the best and cry once.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:38 pm 
WB Contributor

Roy wrote:
If you must use the remote oil cooler, run it from the full flow fittings, not the oil cooler adapter. Always KEEP the stock oil cooler in place no matter what kind it is. This is important.
why is important to keep the stock cooler in place? I'm getting rid of it to let the left cylinders run cooler.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:32 am 
BOTM Winner

The oil also cools the engine as well as the air flow. The oil draws heat away from the heads as it runs back into the engine. The heads are what you need to be concerned about running cooler, not so much the cylinders. Removing the stock cooler will not really let the head on that side run much cooler, Alot of the cooliong air for the head on that side actually goes over top of the oil cooler. Having a steady stream of air moving across the oil cooler is very important for the proper cooling of the motor. The old style oil cooler mounted inside the fan shroud is not the greatest BUT it works. If you plan on running your motor really hard, it will benefit you much more to switch to a doghouse system with a type 4 cooler mounted in place of the type 1. This is all you really need. If you feel like you really have to remove the stock oil cooler, it would be wise to run the aftermarket oil cooler from the oil pump full flow fittings instead of the stock cooler location. It's much more effecient this way. A cooling fan is a must if the stock cooler is removed. This fan must be thermostatically controlled.
The only time you ever need a remote oil cooler is if your compression ratio is set over 9.5-1. Anything else, the stock doghouse cooler will do just fine. If you run around all the time with it matted to the floor trying to blow it up, nothing will work.
My opinion, I would spend the money on a doghouse shroud and doghouse oil cooler and the wider cooling fan before I ever spent money on a remote oil cooler.

Buy the best and cry once.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:32 am 
WB Contributor

Put a radiator in it and forget about an oil cooler. Why throw good money away if you plan to go WC in the future. If you drink a lot you might need a rev limiter rotor more than am oil cooler

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:53 pm 
BOTM winner/Master fabricator

You guys got me sold on the type 4 cooler setup. So my plan is to get rid of the remote oil cooler, which leaks and get all of the stuff to run the type 4. But what I need to know is what doghouse is the best to use. I seen Chad said that he uses the type 4 doghouse. Will that fit ok or do you have to modify it? I have the aluminum jug tins. Are these good enough or do I have to get different ones? Do I need an adapter or anything to bolt the type 4 cooler to the motor? I never ran a stock type cooler before. So I have to start from scratch.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:05 pm 
WB Contributor

ive always been told to keep the doghouse cooler on....so i put a new doghouse cooler on it and ran from the full flow fittings to a mesa cooler with thermostat and fan....in the last 3 years ive only had the fan come on a couple of times and that was beatin real hard on it on a wet hillside.....

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:38 pm 

afterburnt wrote:
You guys got me sold on the type 4 cooler setup. So my plan is to get rid of the remote oil cooler, which leaks and get all of the stuff to run the type 4. But what I need to know is what doghouse is the best to use. I seen Chad said that he uses the type 4 doghouse. Will that fit ok or do you have to modify it? I have the aluminum jug tins. Are these good enough or do I have to get different ones? Do I need an adapter or anything to bolt the type 4 cooler to the motor? I never ran a stock type cooler before. So I have to start from scratch.

I have a stock T1 doghouse, Dog House oil cooler to case adapter and oil cooler set up here. Let me know if/when you want it, I'll pull it off.

The T4 cooler has 2 extra rows and you will need to cut the front off of the doghouse and add a strip to fit.

http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDet ... tCode=1722

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... sc&start=0

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:04 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

]
afterburnt wrote:
You guys got me sold on the type 4 cooler setup. So my plan is to get rid of the remote oil cooler, which leaks and get all of the stuff to run the type 4. But what I need to know is what doghouse is the best o use. I seen Chad said that he uses the type 4 doghouse. Will that fit ok or do you have to modify it? I have the aluminum jug tins. Are these good enough or do I have to get different ones? Do I need an adapter or anything to bolt the type 4 cooler to the motor? I never ran a stock type cooler before. So I have to start from scratch.

Just need to make the shroud wider. I'd use stock tins and shroud. Some day I'm doing it to mine.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:46 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

hpfreak wrote:
Thanks guys. I'm gonna run this for now and scour the swap meets for a doghouse setup.

I'd be leery of buying a swap meet cooler.
You never know if the engine it was on previously had issues and pumped debris into the cooler.
We will not re-use a cooler on an engine rebuild that has "blown up".

Turbo VW Sand Racer
Polaris Ranger

"If you don't run into the Devil every once in awhile, you must be going in the same direction!"

Davis Motorsports FaceBook Page

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:19 pm 
WB Contributor

turboblue wrote:
hpfreak wrote:

I'd be leery of buying a swap meet cooler.
You never know if the engine it was on previously had issues and pumped debris into the cooler.
We will not re-use a cooler on an engine rebuild that has "blown up".
yeah agree, what I meant was just the tin work and such, I'd buy the actual cooler new.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:38 pm 
BOTM Winner

Dave didn't you see mine? I been running type 4 cooler for years. :mrgreen:

afterburnt wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:25 pm 
BOTM winner/Master fabricator

davehix wrote:
Dave didn't you see mine? I been running type 4 cooler for years. :mrgreen:

afterburnt wrote:

yea i seen it just making sure im doing it right. if i take my oil cooler and one oil filter off i will have more room and it will be eraser to pull the motor off .

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:22 am 

hillaholic wrote:
]
afterburnt wrote:
You guys got me sold on the type 4 cooler setup. So my plan is to get rid of the remote oil cooler, which leaks and get all of the stuff to run the type 4. But what I need to know is what doghouse is the best o use. I seen Chad said that he uses the type 4 doghouse. Will that fit ok or do you have to modify it? I have the aluminum jug tins. Are these good enough or do I have to get different ones? Do I need an adapter or anything to bolt the type 4 cooler to the motor? I never ran a stock type cooler before. So I have to start from scratch.

Just need to make the shroud wider. I'd use stock tins and shroud. Some day I'm doing it to mine.

Brad
Dave showed me your photo on is phone. What shroud is that and what's with the duct on the out side of the cooler?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:48 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

GuyP wrote:
Brad
Dave showed me your photo on is phone. What shroud is that and what's with the duct on the out side of the cooler?

That's not my picture but it's just a stock dog house shroud with the oil cooler area widened. The extra stuff just directs the air down. You don't really need all that. Maybe just the one next to the cooler to help keep mud out.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Air Cooled Engines