It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:21 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Air Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:37 am 

Ok so i have a 2180 that i built about a 2 years back and have been running it on empi hpmx 44s which i had a lot of problems out of. the motor ran great when the idle jets where not clogged up or the carbs were for some random reason out of sync. Then last year i decided to take it on the road in the snow and sucked some salt water in to them but did not think about it, till the following riding season when the idle jets seemed to clog about every 5 min on the trail, so after getting home i took them off for a rebuild when i pulled them apart there was nothing but corrosion on the inside. So i need a new set :x.

question: I am thinking about getting the real webers this time around. what are the big differences between the hpmx and the idf webers? also are there any other carbs that you all can recommend that will give me good power?

Thanks Matt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:54 am 

Posted using the WoodsBuggy Mobile App

I have been using empi carburetors and they work great . I know people are going to say Weber but I'm telling you I would put them up the side any Weber any day I build at least a couple of motors a month and I have then having great luck with the new empi . With your motor I would put a brand new set of 44 IDF carburetors on it about five hundred and twenty five dollars

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:58 pm 

I would go with webers or dellortos I had and have empi carbs I do not like the I got a brand new set and the throttle shafts are loose already so I went with Spain webers and ant had a problem with them this is my opinion but I would go with webers or dellortos

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:06 pm 

My empi 44's are junk on my 2500. They are just plain out wore out. On a differnt motor I had a few years ago had empi 44's also and they locked my motor up by letting to much gas in. And they was a brand new set. So just as soon as I get the cash true webers are on their way to me.
True webers or dellortos are the way to go

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:35 pm 

Like i said .....i got a set of empi carbs on a 2500 now been on there all year ran a couple hill climbs ran great ...just built a 2387 had a set of webers on it ran like shit ...put a new set of empi carbs with the jeting set ran great...so if you need a set of webers got a set for sell $275.00 there yours .... so there you go

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:42 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

The new empi carbs are just fine. I've got a 2387 super flow heads and running a set of new dual 44's and after setting them up they are running awesome. You can get good and bad in anything and empi gets ALOT of hell for ALOT of stuff but they good stuff also and for 1/2 the money there carbs are worth running IMO.besides if you don't know how to set them and you don't keep your air clean and fuel clean I don't care what ya buy you'll think their junk. Chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:54 pm 

My old buggy had a IDF Weber made in Spain. It took me a while to figure out that you have to make sure NO dirt gets in. Because it only takes a speck to mess them up! Learned that the hard way lol..... That's why I prefer FI

Last edited by Psycho Alpha on Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:12 pm 

but once cry once go weber empis are just chinese copies

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:22 pm 

I would run 40s . They all work good if setup right with good air cleaners and fual flitter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:54 pm 
WB Contributor

i bought a new set of empi 40s from southern buggies 2 or 3 years ago...never have had a problem, still runs like a beast....K n N air filter and 2 inline fuel filtersImage

Board index » Tech and Fab » Air Cooled Engines