It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:15 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Air Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AA performance products?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:25 pm 
WB Contributor

Any one use there products? Found out my crank is junk. I seen kaddie shack has forged cranks on sale for $249. There made by AA performance products. The price is great but I've never heard of AA. Is it worth a shot or is thing gonna scatter my motor?

Posted using the WoodsBuggy Mobile App

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:37 pm 

I have used a few ..... have not had any come back yet.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:11 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

What stroke?

$249 is the going rate on 4140 69 stroke cranks.
4340 nitrided stroker cranks would be more.

Turbo VW Sand Racer
Polaris Ranger

"If you don't run into the Devil every once in awhile, you must be going in the same direction!"

Davis Motorsports FaceBook Page

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:22 pm 
WB Contributor

turboblue wrote:
What stroke?

$249 is the going rate on 4140 69 stroke cranks.
4340 nitrided stroker cranks would be more.
I'm just going back to 69 for now so I can get this thing back together before it gets cold. How much to get one shipped to my door from you?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:27 pm 
WB Contributor

Freak, I believe that you could go with up to a 74MM stroke with little if any clearance to the block and you can use the pistons you already have. I ran a 1976 stroker and it would impress you. Your carbs will work well with the combo as well. You might have to use barrel shims but they are not expensive.

Just a thought, :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:37 pm 
WB Contributor

Red Barron wrote:
Freak, I believe that you could go with up to a 74MM stroke with little if any clearance to the block and you can use the pistons you already have. I ran a 1976 stroker and it would impress you. Your carbs will work well with the combo as well. You might have to use barrel shims but they are not expensive.

Just a thought, :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
my case is clearenced for 82 mm but the parts list to move up to 74 is a little more than just shims. I can barely afford to put it back together let alone improve it. If I decided to stroke it that would be the end of my season and not riding it till next spring doesn't sit well with me. I'm seriously considering compiling parts this winter to go dark side and selling a running 1915 would help a lot.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:44 pm 

The dark side calls to many of us :evil:

Attachments:
1379119498073.jpg
1379119498073.jpg [ 41.83 KiB | Viewed 6090 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:46 pm 
WB Contributor

Attachment:
ImageUploadedByWoodsBuggy1379123105.368704.jpg
ImageUploadedByWoodsBuggy1379123105.368704.jpg [ 124.94 KiB | Viewed 5998 times ]

Yes the torque and horse power on the dark side is multiplied

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:49 pm 
WB Contributor

:[/quote]my case is clearenced for 82 mm but the parts list to move up to 74 is a little more than just shims. I can barely afford to put it back together let alone improve it. If I decided to stroke it that would be the end of my season and not riding it till next spring doesn't sit well with me. I'm seriously considering compiling parts this winter to go dark side and selling a running 1915 would help a lot.

Posted using the WoodsBuggy Mobile App[/quote]

Well heck then just get a stock recon crank. I am sure some one has a spare door stop laying around the shop

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:12 pm 

Ha now. Lol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:34 pm 
WB Contributor

I guess never mind, machine shop called me back today and said my rods were .003" under spec across the board. Now i just have to talk to scat (with lots of choice words) and have them replace everything. I guess thats what i get for assuming they were right instead of checking them. the wierd thing is everything looked fine as far as plastigauge was concerned. so if you buy a scat engine kit you should send everything to the machine shop first :evil:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:38 pm 
WB Contributor

Got home today and pulled out my reciepts. I purchased the engine kit from dans performance parts. I called dans and they told me they weren't going to do anything for me and I needed to talk to SCAT. Called scat and they told me I need to ship the bad parts back to them on my dime but didn't sound like they were going to do anything all they wanted to do was call me and my machinist a liar. Do I spend my money to ship these parts back or should I just call it a loss and start over? This whole thing has me so pissed off I'll never do business with either company ever again. On a lighter note I may soon have a new post in the for sale section with lots of vw engine parts. Anybody selling an eco tech or Subaru?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:19 pm 

Well I might can see dan's point of view being they just sell the parts but I would expect them to make a few phones calls to try and fix the problem and if I did call scat and they gave me the run around I would ask to speak to a manager and let them I was on member of a buggy website with over 3000 members and thousands of other people that check us out and everyone post reviews on parts we buy and use on our buggys. I would tell them how much it would hurt me to give them a bad review and quit using their part besides we all know not to use anything with Empi wrote on it. So good luck

Posted using the WoodsBuggy Mobile App iPhone

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:42 pm 
WB Contributor

Thanks Jeff. I did inform Tommy at scat that I was affiliated with a VERY large group of buggy enthusiasts and I would hate to ruin his business with over 5000 people and that's exactly what I would do if I waste my money shipping these parts back to him. He informed me vw parts are only 15% of scats business with a tone that said he didn't care. I then asked to speak to his manager to tell him that Tommy didn't care about 15% of his business. He started choking on his words that's when I hung up on him.

I'm so upset over this whole thing I'm thinking about selling my buggy and going back to dirtbikes but the 2 times I've actually went somewhere and rode this thing I had such a blast I think selling it would depress me more than anything:sad:

Now mind you they haven't actually said no yet but from the conversation I had with Tommy I don't feel comfortable spending my hard earned money to ship these parts back to them.

Last edited by hpfreak on Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:42 pm 
WB Contributor

Freak, I hate that you are having problems and I am sure that the crank and the rods Scat sell are now made in China. In China they do not have the greatest QA QC programs therefore lower cost and that is why the parts are no longer made for Scat in the USA.

I do also know that as a engine builder we need to check specs and compare them to the parts we are assembling. I find it hard to understand how you could plastic gauge the parts and still have a failure due to out of spec parts. I know that funds are tight but I would send the parts back in either case they are at best a door stop that will piss you off every time you see it. They may just replace the parts, keep in mind they deal with joe public all the time and half of the guys building VW engines are hobbyist or shade tree's like myself.

I believe you work as a mechanic so if you are at a dealer or a good size shop you have a source for salvaged engines a lower price than john Q public. My buddies that worked at Toyota got their Honda engines for like $250.00 from LKQ I know I paid more for mine. So if the dark side is you desire then we are here for you.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:51 pm 
WB Contributor

Yes I can get motors and harnesess and pcms cheaper but that's not what scares me its the trans and the cost associated with making one handle a larger power plant.

How deep would I be in a trans if I wanted to reliably run an ecotech? Anyone selling one?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:58 pm 
WB Contributor

I'm working on a gadget that the bus or Porsche inner c/v's bolt to 2 chain sprockets each. Then to a Honda Vtec 2.4, automatic. Sell your buggy and save up and find a Honda. 8) . A.C. will be B.C. lol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:32 am 
WB Contributor

hpfreak wrote:
Yes I can get motors and harnesess and pcms cheaper but that's not what scares me its the trans and the cost associated with making one handle a larger power plant.

How deep would I be in a trans if I wanted to reliably run an ecotech? Anyone selling one?

I would call Chuck Jones he will give you the best advice on the transmission. I really think that a Stock three rib with a super diff should handle a stock normally aspirated echo tech engine. You should be able to run your flywheel, the clutch may need to be upgraded. I think you are running the diesel starter so that should work as well.

Water cooled consortium, Chairman of the Build

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:51 pm 
WB Contributor

I am a die hard a/c guy but if quality parts keep disappearing and the cost keeps going up we all will have water pumpers . Quality vw parts are outrageous when you can find them :sad::sad::sad::sad:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:32 pm 

Is the crank so far gone that it can't be repaired?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:25 pm 
WB Contributor

It would take welding, grinding, and nitriding to repair (well over the cost of a new crank).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:54 pm 

What's your thoughts about the "Cheap Ecotec" that's for sale on here right now? I gotta hunch that it won't be around long for the price of $4500.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:02 pm 
WB Contributor

Bubbalowe wrote:
What's your thoughts about the "Cheap Ecotec" that's for sale on here right now? I gotta hunch that it won't be around long for the price of $4500.

Wish I had the cash I'd snatch it up.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:19 pm 

Try for an early Christmas present :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:38 pm 
WB Contributor

hpfreak what ever way you go dont give up on it ....It will get better

Board index » Tech and Fab » Air Cooled Engines