It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:42 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Air Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:30 pm 

ok I had posted about getting my rail running and you guys helped. now it idles real choppy but raps out great. its a 1915 delorto carb. ran great but sat for a few years. any idle circuts or anything else throwing a red flag up. spark is great from what I see. like I said you nail the throttle and it does awesome, just drops to an idle and seems to lose a cylinder maybe. then dies. thanks in advance guys

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:45 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

clean idle jets and while your att it see what size they are

I DO NOT FREE BASE COCAINE

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:49 pm 
WB Contributor

clean the whole carb very thoroghly every nook n cranny

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:02 pm 

thanks, I will try tomorrow and report back.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:47 pm 

i got the main and idle jets out, also pulled the air screws out and sprayed carb cleaner in idle jet bore. it comes out bottom of carb below throttle blade like it should but it doesn't spray out. I don't believe this is made to flow a ton since it is an idle circuit but seems to have a pretty bad amount of resistance.
Can a little compressed air be pushed through that?
Like is said jet is out and so is air screw so I'm "assuming" there is nothing left in circuit other than metal passage.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:13 pm 

okay, idle circuits clean, and disassembled the rest.
took accelerator pump off annnnd that's where a problem is.
pump half full of crap and spring rusted in to pieces. so a carb kit I will order. hopefully buggyworks has them

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:23 pm 
WB Contributor

you can get the carb parts from CB also

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:52 pm 

thanks for the info. I will call tomorrow and see how quick I can have a kit.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:47 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I have seen a simple air leak in the intake manifold mess with the idle. If you have an air leak, you engine will not idle correctly because it is getting to much air.... but will rev up fine.

It is a real simple thing to check. Get the buggy running and spray the crap out of your intake manifold with some starter fluid (especially around the rubber boots). If it stalls or revs up, you have an intake leak. If nothing happens, keep working on the carb.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:34 pm 
WB Contributor

MickeyMouse wrote:
I have seen a simple air leak in the intake manifold mess with the idle. If you have an air leak, you engine will not idle correctly because it is getting to much air.... but will rev up fine.

It is a real simple thing to check. Get the buggy running and spray the crap out of your intake manifold with some starter fluid (especially around the rubber boots). If it stalls or revs up, you have an intake leak. If nothing happens, keep working on the carb.

and stay away from the red silicone style boots...they suck!

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:59 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I have always used a piece of a radiator hose. It is cheap and works well.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:42 am 

Call Gary @ Davis MotorSports, its in Morristown Indiana,if thats too far for you to drive, Gary will ship same day, heres the Number..1-765-763-7709. Ive been to Buggywerks twice, once when they were still down south and once about 2 months ago and both times they acted like they really didnt want to wait on me. the last time i was there,at their new location in clermont Indiana, i stopped in to buy some tubing, the guy working behind the counter, after me standing there for about 10 minutes, says to me.."do you want something"..i told him id like to buy some tubing and he replyed he didnt know if they even sold tubing and he was just a mechanic filling in for the store help who just happened to be out of the office, so he said he would go ask another mechanic about the tubing, we walked across the parking lot to the shop and i stayed just outside the shop door as i watched this guy walk around a bus and come back out to say,,,they dont sell tubing,,this guy never talked to any other mechanic nor did he look to see if they even had any..I will never stop by there again..I can tell you this much...Gary davis will not treat you like that.."give someone good service and they will tell 3 ppl...give someone bad service and they will tell 7 ppl"...just saying ! :roll:

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:08 pm 

I called buggyworks and no parts for dell carbs. So I decided to redneck a spring from another spring I had. Now I'm sure in a high horse power application this may not work, but when you wanna play this weekend and cant get a kit in time you do what you have to do. Fired it up and it runs idles and revs great. Could have been a passage I cleaned or the spring, or an intake leak I ended up fixing. I will be getting with the guy mentioned above for future parts. Thanks again for helping me. I will be ordering a carb kit and accel pump spring so that carb is right but hey she's gonna tear some trails up this weekend. All that's left is install alt kit and I'm ready to load.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:13 pm 

also the alt kit I got from a friend has an offset stand that wont work for single carb set up so I looked at map and Morristown is on my way to haspin Friday. woohoo I found a new place to stop on the way.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Air Cooled Engines