It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:44 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Air Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:32 pm 

Been looking at fabbing up a RE-movable muffler for riding at night or when I wanted it just a little quieter. Picked up a slipon muffler for $25 from a buddy that runs an ATV shop to try and see if it would work. Heres what I came up with. Had to do some modifying but I'm pleased with the end result. Pipe is a Leo Vince slip on, ended up cutting the muffler down about 7 inches or so and re-riveted the end cap back on. Had to cut it down to keep from it sticking down so far and gettin ripped off on a rock or stump. Despite cutting down the muffler as much as I did, and even though its a straight thru design, it's pretty quiet especiall compared to just the unbaffled U-bend header! Took this pic actually before redoing it and cutting down the intermediate pipe that goes into the muffler. It doesn't have the curved shape anymore and it runs straight inline with the Ubend

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:46 am 
BOTM Winner

Hmmm! I am thinking your muffler is going to get knocked off quick. Also each time you go from muffler to no muffler there is a good possibilty you will need to rejet the carb(S) due to the difference in back pressure. If you tune it with muffler on then take it off it will go lean on ya.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:39 pm 
WB Contributor

This is a photo using a bug pack straight thru glass pack. Used a bug pack u bend and muffler band clamps. Just another idea. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:17 pm 

Looks good as far as the muffler. Not sure were it is ending up in relation to the ground but I caught hell for blowing up dust when my exhaust went straight to the ground. Maybe a small turnout on the end?JMHO

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:23 pm 

I need to take a pic of how I got it mounted now. Like i said I shortened the intermediate pipe goin into the muffler and got rid of that bend. And as far as having to re-jet, I can notice a difference in how it runs and acts when I have the muffler on it. It seems to not have that small hiccup near as bad I've yet to get out of it whenever the muffler is on. Only reason for the muffler is for night riding during the week after work occasionally. We have tendency to ride back on my parents farm late at night a few times a week here lately trying to get rest of the bugs out of it. Just wanted to quieten it down just a tad, so mission accomplished I guess and it doesn't look terrible either

Board index » Tech and Fab » Air Cooled Engines