It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:40 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Air Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:27 pm 

ordered a degree pulley to replace my stock pulley and pulley stock one off and the recessed part that goes into the case is smooth and theres a seal in the case. From what I've read (I'm at work and don't have any of my vw books with me) theres only a seal if a sand seal has been added? I thought me having a stock pulley that I would just order an aluminum stock replacement but it has grooves which is I'm assuming oil slinger for factory setup? The seal got damaged and needs replacing unfortunatly so which seal would I order? Are bolt in & machine in sand seals different? Thanks guys I'm lost on this one

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:59 pm 

well did some more reading, from what I've gathered mine must be a machine in sand seal if the snout on crank pulley is smooth, correct? So I'll have to replace the original pulley I was changing to start with with an aftermarket machine in sand seal pulley? Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:47 pm 

A sand seal pully is smooth. And the seal should tap in with a small hammer put a little jb weld around the seal first .The pully you took should not of had a seal behind it

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:21 pm 

thats what I was thinking but it sure as shit did have a seal. Guess I'll have to order another sand seal since this one got a little boogered up. The pulley I originally removed was smooth where the "oil slinger" is. but pulley looked factory??? Could it have been turned down to accommodate addition of machine in sand seal??? Baffled by this one but it's slinging oil now that I put it all back together, guess seal is nicked. Guess I could try to see where exactly it's leaking, might be able to salvage what I've got but hate to jb weld a used seal... Will definitely have to order one cause no place would have anything like that in this side of the country.... :evil:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:04 pm 

When I replaced my sand seal and pulley I used blue glue on mine
that's what was on the old one it works pretty good. So good luck

Board index » Tech and Fab » Air Cooled Engines