It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:28 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Air Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Starter/Alt Light
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:09 pm 

I have an auto stick starter on my 2175 motor (9.6.1 compression). When its cold it starts up fine (turns the motor over fast) when I let it run for a min and then shut it off, the starter has a hard time turning it over (so it will not start). Any ideas? I know its not the bushing, cause this starter does not use them...

Also I have a new bosh alternator and the ALT light stays on sometimes (most times) when it does its not charging, but sometimes its off and is charging fine)

Any ideas?

All new wire, new light new everything (I know new does not mean it should work)...

I also ran 2 gauge grounds from trans to frame, and from starter bolt to frame...

thanks for any ideas

Post subject: Re: Starter/Alt Light
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:10 pm 

Had a similar problem auto stick starter on my buggy brand new reman from advanced the battery was a few years old so bought a red top agm battery with a1000 cranking amps and hooked it up and same thing took starter back and bench tested it at advanced it was drawing 40 amps with no load got another starter and it works perfect.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:05 pm 
BOTM winner/Master fabricator

Jeremy1 wrote:
Had a similar problem auto stick starter on my buggy brand new reman from advanced the battery was a few years old so bought a red top agm battery with a1000 cranking amps and hooked it up and same thing took starter back and bench tested it at advanced it was drawing 40 amps with no load got another starter and it works perfect.

Thats a sign dont buy starters from advance or auto zone there re manufacture JUNK :twisted: thats why they warranty it so you can take it back every time you use it

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:46 pm 

Well I took the starter out, cleaned the connections and put it in... then I messed with the timing and it has worked since??? I also pulled the regulator out and messed with the connections and its charging fine now...

:evil:

However I managed to whack the stupid thermostat and broke it off more junk... so I removed it and just wired the fan to the ignition for now... 40 bucks for that POS... I hate not knowing where the quality is, I wish I had a shop near me like you guys do... I wish I could look at this stuff before I buy... or would be nice if I knew anyone with a rail so I could have a comparison... lol OK I am done with my rant...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:21 am 

I use an automatic starter on mine. The shaft on the starter that slides in a bushing siezes up when the starter gets hot or warmed up or something makes it drag and hard to start or not start some times. Works fine and its a reman from Advance. Just my two cents.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:04 am 

Hey myridin all kinds of us buggy guys close to you. Hit us up. Don't know exactly were you are but one of us is nearby. Don't hesitate. Turbo blue has a shop in s. Ind. Holla out son !!!

Board index » Tech and Fab » Air Cooled Engines