It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:33 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Air Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:01 pm 

ridenrace6 wrote:
holeman wrote:
congrats and you just thought that carb was giving ya problems.

x2 8)

x3.. my little guy just turned 6 months and whoa :shock: gotta put him in an arm bar just to change his diaper now :lol: :lol:

im not a carb guru but i have seen several sets of webers that could not be adjusted out rite no matter how many ways you did it.. turned out to be throttle shafts bearings on both sets letting it pull air

Save a tree... eat a Beaver

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:31 pm 

thanks yall, yeah I can't wait till he's big enough to take riding but that'll be a bit. Until then I'm just enjoying every minute of him bein so tiny!! Time flies unfortunately and he'll grow up fast :wink: Back to the buggy, I'm seriously considering going ecotec.... Found several motors complete with wiring harness but it just sucks that you end up spending just bout as much on a damn adapter as you do on the motor.... :evil: But that would eliminate all the carb problems!lol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:59 pm 

well gotta deal worked out on a 5 rib and going to pick it up sunday!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:25 pm 
WB Contributor

snail rail wrote:
thanks yall, yeah I can't wait till he's big enough to take riding but that'll be a bit. Until then I'm just enjoying every minute of him bein so tiny!! Time flies unfortunately and he'll grow up fast :wink: Back to the buggy, I'm seriously considering going ecotec.... Found several motors complete with wiring harness but it just sucks that you end up spending just bout as much on a damn adapter as you do on the motor.... :evil: But that would eliminate all the carb problems!lol

I was going to suggest something fuel injected. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:18 pm 

still torn between taking on that big of a project when it's getting this warm I guess...lol I love the simplicity/overall reliability of air cooled no doubt but what possible downfall is there to a new model 150+hp efi 4 cylinder??? I'm going to def run what I've got at least thru this year (if it makes it) and will brainstorm this more when it's too cold to do anything else!!! Oh and I contacted Weber about the problems I've been having because I'm thinking there may be a problem with this NEW carb... I'm goin to give the tech line a call when I get the 5 rib & motor put back on. If I had just a little more displacement I'd opt for going dual 40 IDF's but I think it would drown my lil motor as it sits now

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:24 pm 

well managed to pick up a 5 rib reasonably priced yesterday and got it put back together last night. While it was down though for past 2 weeks, did what some recommended and installed jet Dr. kit and did away with all the linkage that connects to intake and went over the shroud directly to throttle arm. Not sure what the jet dr. kit did but geez what a difference! that's the only thing i did to the motor while it was down so having hard time figuring it out??? :? Regardless it revs 10x faster than before and throttle response is well...LIKE IT SHOULD BE!! It still has a little quirk at mid throttle but clears right out. With the carb so close to being right finally along with this 5 rib, NO COMPARISON, DAYLIGHT & DARK compared to 2 weeks ago. I've got new different idle jets I still might try but believe alot of prob is going to be this 009.... What dist do yall recommend running a single IDF?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:00 pm 

009 is a good distributor..combine that with a bosch blue coil and electronic ignition is tried and true 8)

Save a tree... eat a Beaver

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:23 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

reno2165 wrote:
009 is a good distributor..combine that with a bosch blue coil and electronic ignition is tried and true 8)

as long as its a german 009, don't get a empi/Chinese 009, been there done that :roll:

also ive heard the petronix billet 009 is a pretty good dist also

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:53 am 

Hey Snail let us know what your final tunning is on that engine. I will be running the same set up as you are next year. Would be great to have a solid starting point for tunning mine. Thanks. Love your buggy BTW it looks bad a** :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:55 am 
WB Contributor

snail rail wrote:
well managed to pick up a 5 rib reasonably priced yesterday and got it put back together last night. While it was down though for past 2 weeks, did what some recommended and installed jet Dr. kit and did away with all the linkage that connects to intake and went over the shroud directly to throttle arm. Not sure what the jet dr. kit did but geez what a difference! that's the only thing i did to the motor while it was down so having hard time figuring it out??? :? Regardless it revs 10x faster than before and throttle response is well...LIKE IT SHOULD BE!! It still has a little quirk at mid throttle but clears right out. With the carb so close to being right finally along with this 5 rib, NO COMPARISON, DAYLIGHT & DARK compared to 2 weeks ago. I've got new different idle jets I still might try but believe alot of prob is going to be this 009.... What dist do yall recommend running a single IDF?

sweet brother! glad its working out for ya! how ya like that linkage setup? pretty sweet compared to that shit they sell with the carb huh! mine also has a little quirk sometimes as well, but nothing the right foot dont fix when your hammerin on it :wink: remember-1:VALVES 2:TIMING 3:CARB! if your that close now id recheck in that order and you should be in the money! congrats on the little one as well

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:31 pm 

I'm still waiting on some parts to come in from Appletree, new plug wires, oil filler, foam pre-filter & aluminum degree pulley. The marks on the factory crank pulley is confusing at times and figure going with the aluminum degree pulley I won't make the mistake of setting timing incorrectly...(hopefully)... I had one of the boots pull of a spark plug wire here awhile back so figured I'd replace so that'll be one less thing to worry with. Also, after putting this 5 rib in my Scat shifter wouldn't shift into 1st, so been using a junk T handle shifter I had laying around so I could at least drive it. Got my adjuster welded in on shifter rod so I can put the Scat back in. I don't understand why shifter wouldn't work with the new tranny?? Had a 3 rib in it and shifted perfect. Almost acts like the tranny isn't up far enough against nose cone mount, but studs on front mount are tight. oh well I needed a shift adjuster on it anyway :wink:

Board index » Tech and Fab » Air Cooled Engines