It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:20 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Air Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:15 pm 

Hey guys, I decided to pull my oil pump cover off so I could remind myself if the pump has the plug for full flow (and it does)... while taking off the crank pulley I noticed that it really doesn't go very far into the crank (like its short). My question is simple... should they have given me a longer one since its sand sealed or something? Don't get me wrong... it will make like 8 or so full turns till its ready to be torqued... just seems like it should go in farther to me... its not even a quarter of the way into the crank (by my best guess).

I guess let me know your thoughts... hitting up google now...

Also question... the Oil Cover seal looked like the one below... I replaced it with a normal stock one (just round in the center, no zig zag cut out)... Is that OK or should I order this one...

Plug in the pump:

thanks guys...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:12 pm 
WB Contributor

yes they sell an extra long one for the sand seal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:24 pm 

Is the Broached Pulley Bolt any good? Just looking on CB Perf. website... I like that they make it... so I know its not china metal.... they say its 24mm where the extra long one is 26mm

thoughts?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:11 pm 

I could be wrong but I thought that many of the parts from CB where made in China. None of the parts that I have received from them were labeled as Made in USA, I had heard that Brazil used to make many of their parts but now they use a lower cost manufacturer. Most of the parts from CB have been good quality but a few of them where less than I expected. No matter where you get your parts you should take the time to measure and inspect them before using them.
Good Luck
Kenric

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:42 pm 

Thnx buddy... Thoughts on that broached bolt? Looks like it uses a ratchet to tighten... I didn't know that about cb performance I thought the made there logo products... Bummed if that's not the case...

I guess I will just order it and see... I measured and looks like the crank bolt hole is 1.5 deep to the surface of the pulley.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:14 pm 

Thats pretty normal for the bolt in sand seal pulleys. You have to use a spacer behind the pulley most of the time and you end up needing the longer bolt. The broached bolt is nice,I'm not sure if its much longer than a stock one. Also your oil pump should have an o-ring in that groove instead of a gasket.With that being said,It will be fine with the stock replacement gasket.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:23 pm 

Thanks Aaron... I do also have the O ring... The broached bolt I was looking at is the smooth one that only accepts a 3/8 drove ( no hex ). Says 24mm on the site... I am not sure... May just go for the extra long bolt... Looking for that measurement now.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:26 pm 

If you have the o-ring don't use the gasket.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:39 am 

Ya I think the bolt should be longer. I run the cb pulley and seal and drysump . I needed a longer bolt. And as far as stuff made in china I think about all of it is anymore . Like scat most of that's china . It prob all comes from the same place . They just put there name on it like empi. its all junk if u ask me. Hell when u buy a bolt on part that should just bolt right on you have to spend half the day workin on it or machining it more to make it fit .

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:49 am 

Yeah... Too bad man... These days you don't even get what you pay for... You just pay more so you don't get less...

Aaron... So your saying to just put the faceplate back on the oil pump with only the o-ring... No proper gasket at all? If so I will give it a try... It did have one in it when I took it off... But I can't account for the previous work.

Thanks for helping... I ordered the crank bolt that said it was for sand sealed applications if I am right it's just a 1 inch bolt...

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:20 pm 

anyone willing to help me figure out who made this pump? Notice how there is no return galley where the O-ring goes... Ever pump I look at has the line from the ring to the center... I am just curious is all...

I put the cover back on with O-Ring only (no paper filter - even though it had one before)...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:30 pm 

It looks to be a Bugpack super pump or a copy of it. You done right by not using the gasket. It would just add extra clearance and lower oil pressure.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:40 pm 

Thanks Aaron... I checked out a few of the BugPack pumps and they all have that little passage way from the center to the ring.. Much like you can see on the Berg pump:

I did find this though... notice how they do not have the passage way on there super pump (near bottom)...
http://www.lowbugget.com/main_page.html

I am just curious is all... not that it matters.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Air Cooled Engines