It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:33 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Air Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:47 pm 

Well I'm lookin to buy a new carb within next week or so and wanting some opinions/suggestions on choosing one. I'm currently running a buddies Weber progressive w/ electric choke and it does pretty good considering we took it off his mofoco headed 1776 and I didn't re-jet or adjust anything when putting it on my 1641. Mainly because it ran perfect on his and I didn't want to go rejetting and adjusting to where he'd have to redo it whenever he runs it again. I'm torn between buyin a new progressive 32/36 or going with a weber 40IDF single centermount... :? both do great from what I've read, when jetted correctly. Also I want to buy a carb now that I can use later prob next year with a 1915 I'm puttin together. I'm really leaning toward the 40IDF, but have to admit that elect. choke is nice in cool weather... Suggestions?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:53 pm 
WB Contributor

40 idf , no doubt. When you build the 1915 convert to duals you wont be disappointed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:03 pm 
BOTM winner/Master fabricator

40 idf with jet doctors and a good air cleaner that has a cover on it

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:27 pm 
WB Contributor

Years ago I fabbed a Ford to dellorto intake about 4" tall. It ran excellent on a 2021 motor but it was a little too much for a 1835.It came off a 84 and down Ford truck with a 302 v8. The size written on the side is 3.08.They make others aswell like a 3.14 and a 3.21. I run a 3.21 off an old LTD 351 v8 on my buick V6 and it does perfect at ALL angles.'85 and up had some electrical stuff on it and they will not work.Pull a Part rules!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:05 am 

I actually already have a motorcraft/weber/holley (whatever you wanna call it, it has all 3 names on it...) progressive carb & intake that I used to run a year or so ago. I'm thinking it was a factory pinto carb. Guess I'm gonna sell that carb since I don't use it, doesn't have choke on it. Would a 40IDF be too much for my current setup or could I jet it down enough to have good manners on a 1641?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:04 pm 

The IDF is the way to go! jetted properly with no vac leaks it will run like fuel injection no choke needed and will work fine on the 1641

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:10 pm 

did some searching on jetting and didn't come up with an exact configuration of what jets I'll need. Of coarse jetting is a subject that different people have different opinions about. I'm just needing someone that is running a similiar setup as me or has in the past to chime in with what jetting will get me close

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:46 pm 

went ahead and ordered new 40idf carb & intake. Anyone know what jets they ship in these? What jets will I need to get this carb to work on a 1641?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:44 am 
WB Contributor

snail rail wrote:
I actually already have a motorcraft/weber/holley (whatever you wanna call it, it has all 3 names on it...) progressive carb & intake that I used to run a year or so ago. I'm thinking it was a factory pinto carb. Guess I'm gonna sell that carb since I don't use it, doesn't have choke on it. Would a 40IDF be too much for my current setup or could I jet it down enough to have good manners on a 1641?

NO NO NO and no I'm talking about a Ford 2 barrel off a big ford not a puke progressive pinto.soooorrry...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:15 am 

hopefully my new carb will be in around thursday this week. I just haven't been able to find a good suggestion for jetting a single 40IDF with 1641. searched on samba and found all kinds of jetting reccomendations for a progressive weber but not a lot on a single 40idf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:34 am 

I also would be interested in a jet config for the 40 IDF in a 1641.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:25 pm 
BOTM Winner

Jetting a single 40 to run on a 1641 is tricky but it can be done easily with the right tools. What jets you will end up with will depend on the size of the venturi's inside the carburetor. What size venturis you need will depend on the heads and compression ratio and camshaft combo. Setting a carb up correctly could easily cost a couple hundred bucks. Having a set of jet reamers is the way to go. This way you can start small and work your way up to you get it perfect. I think a 40 comes with 32mm venturis in it from the box. For a 1641 engine with stock heads you may want to consider installing smaller ones. This will make the engine more responsive. It will also make it run more rich which will require smaller jets. Nobody can say exactly what you will need. You have to install what the motor wants. Finding someone who has this carburetor on their 1641 and has it perfect? This might be hard to do also. Buy the right tools to do it your self. Buy a selection of jets and have at it. Be prepared to spend a little money if you want to get it perfect.

Buy the best and cry once.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:49 pm 

it's got 28mm venturi installed. Still waiting on my main jets at the moment to come in... :x May need to go down on my idle jets too but not touching anything else till the rest of jets I ordered come in

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:09 pm 
BOTM Winner

28's should be about right for a 1641 with stock heads.

Buy the best and cry once.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:55 pm 

finally had a chance to work on it today for a lil bit, gettin harder and harder to set aside time for it with the wife due in less than 2 weeks....I've got a small dead spot but it's a llllllot better than it was when I started this morn(plus I'm runnin an 009 dist). As it sits it has 200 air correctors, 55 idles, 28mm venturi, and 130 mains. Tried some 115 mains, that was the size pretty much everywhere I had read suggested for a 1641 but every motor is different. And I'm kinda running blind on the jetting since I don't know exactly what size my motor is. took it off from another buggy I bought last year and am pretty much guessing it's a 1600 1641. Considering Case/heads would have to be cut to go any bigger and that would have costed extra and it was an older guy that had it. But fixing to tear top end down and at least re-ring it unless I discover a prob when I tear it down.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Air Cooled Engines