It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:42 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Air Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:14 pm 

I wish I knew someone that could weld this stuff... I would do it... It seems like it could be welded up just as it sits. But I don't know where to go... It's a tiny thing... I didn't see it open but it looks like a crack...

I filed it down so it was clean, I can still see the line... If I look in the threaded area I see what looks like same line... So must be...

Should I use thread sealant and jb weld or thread locker? And Also how do I know when the fitting is tight enough... This really sucks... Pretty much everything is new but the block...

Thoughts

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:36 am 
WB Contributor

use thread lock on the threads and just screw it in as tight as you can with hands, if its not in a good position then maybe i would turn just enough with a wrench to get it where you want. then mask tape it off and apply the jb weld but i would try NOT to get it on the threads , that shit gets hard as a rock :shock: and also you cant weld that with the welder you've been using. pretty sure it would have to be tig welded

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:58 am 

I am going to call local welding supply and ask who can weld magnesium... Also there is a welder right down the street who does race cars and something with oil pans... I will call him as we'll... If I can find a welder I will do that... If not I will use the jb weld and thread sealant an hope it gets me by till I have some cash for a new case... Which at this rate will be next year......

BUM DEAL MAN...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:25 am 

OK, just off the phone with the local welder, he has the rod to do Mag. he says, and he says he welds up Mag. transmissions... but gave the disclaimer that its will not be pretty and only stated he will give it his best shot but will promise nothing... 25.00 plus re tap if needed... not bad... I will pull the motor and take off what I can and take it to him Monday morning...

fingers crossed... I would have spent more than that buying the JB weld and thread sealant...

I will take the time to clean the area really well too... I have already filed the top and will try to clean the threaded area as well...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:04 am 

I found this pic online... You think I should show it to the welder? Or just let him do his thing?

I don't want to tell him how to do what he does... But this looks like it solved the problem...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:33 pm 

Let me ask you folks... I just took a few moments to clean the surface, and I want to be sure f what I have... check out these pic's, I have the fitting in pretty tight (hand tight and a quarter turn with a wrench) I think I see a crack but am not 100% sure, this metal is so pourus its hard to say...

I am sure you cant tell with out having it right in front... but here are a few pic's

This one you can almost se the tiny line running right to left, like 1/2 inch or so long...

it almost looks like a scratch, what can I do to be sure? Or are you guys sure its a crack from what you see? I will try to clean it up a bit more... would be nice if it wasn't so scratched up so I could tell what was what.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:41 pm 

I personaly would JB weld it an be done with it. It aint worth pullin the motor for that. Mine was JB welded for years an still is far as i no.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:19 pm 

OK I pent a little time cleaning it up, this is what I found... I can now see the tiny crack, and also I was reminded of something, there is a bolt screwed into the bottom... PO said he pit it there to stop a leak (If I remember right) and was going to put the temp sender there (forgot all about this)...

you guys tell me what you think, should I try to get it welded or try some JB weld to get me threw the summer (if it will) and then replace the case when I can afford to? I want to be smart... Need more experienced eyes on it... if you guys think I should get it welded up, then I will... I have it almost all torn down, just need to unbolt it and carry it off...

This is where I think I see a crack on inside

Bottom of the pump:

This is where I think I see a crack on top

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:06 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

i would have it welded and not have to worry with it, the jb weld, epoxy, thread sealant may work temporary but with the contraction an expansion of the heat and cool cycle i figure it will leak again

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:23 pm 

OK welder bound... I will let you know how it works out...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:30 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

just make whoever does it is a good welder, aluminum and or magnesium (depending on the block) are not the easiest metals to weld, the main thing though is that they use the right filler rod

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:33 pm 

He is a good welder, I have used him in the past... not a side job guy... he manufactures some sort of racecar parts, and welds up AC units for some company... He says he has welded up more than one Mag. tranny... and has the rods. If this doesn't work, I will just dip the whole thing in JB weld and run it till I can afford a new case...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:25 pm 

Dropped and ready to go on Monday... I cleaned it up pretty well, used the torch to heat it up a few times to try to burn off any oil... I till may remove the alt. stand... not sure its in anyone's way...

guess we will see...

if you folks can think of anything else let me know... otherwise I hope this works out... I hate not being able to do it right now!!!

Also I removed the bolt on the bottom, its threaded into the sump only, and its pretty tight... I am thinking I should use some red Loctite on it and forget it was there... unless you think its a good idea to try and fit the temp sensor there?

More pic's after the welding..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:57 pm 

I ran the hoses tonight... How the heck am I supposed to get the hose on the fittings? I tried, got them all about half way on then I gave up.

Ran all my fuel lines as well... I only need to get new push rods and thr rear flexible brake lines and its done...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:52 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

myrddin wrote:
I ran the hoses tonight... How the heck am I supposed to get the hose on the fittings? I tried, got them all about half way on then I gave up.

spray the inside of the hose with some lube like wd-40 and push like hell :wink:

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:27 pm 

oh OK I didn't think that would be OK I was trying dish soap and water, and that helped... I know dish soap will evaporate... Heck, I am not even sure if I can get it back off agn to try... hard core... I will give it a try tomorrow.. no buggy work today ;)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:23 pm 
WB Contributor

You can soften a hose by gently hammering on the end on a hard surface.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:47 pm 

OK I added some dish soap, then boiled some water and stuck each in in for 10 seconds... each time I pulled the end out of the water, I shoved the fitting in to the hose... went in every time... probably just needed boiling water... after they dry I will just need to hook up the thermostat and fan... anyone have a diagram... looking now...

Board index » Tech and Fab » Air Cooled Engines