It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:01 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Air Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Engine rebuild
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:21 am 

Well, to make a long story short, about May of 2012, went to Turkey Bay. About 9 a.m. decided it was time for RacefreakJ77 to wake up, so fired up the buggy and backed it up to the window of the rv, threw her in neutral and smacked the gas a few times. Probably turnt maybe 4000 rpm and heard a loud noise and turned around to see something flying off the motor. Shut it off to find a hole the size of a quarter in the top of the block, and it was parts of the piston/jug skirt that went flying. Not sure why it happened, but loaded it up on the trailer and brought it home, stuck it in the basement and ignored it till now for being bad. Well, pulled the motor out tonight and took a good look at it. Seems like the wristpin pulled out of the piston, as I can look through the hole and see the rod and wristpin still in it. What are the odds that no damage was done to the heads? Seems like in theory the rod had to be coming down to bust out of the piston, so hoping I got lucky, will know soon. What brand of pistons should I go back with? And I don't remember what brand pistons they are. And is it possible to weld up the block? Its about an inch away from where the halves mate and inch away from where the transmission mounts. Its an AS41 block. Or would I be better off to replace the block also? Trying to keep cost down, but want to do it right also, as this is gonna be rebuild #3 in less than 2 years.

Post subject: Re: Engine rebuild
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:30 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

probably best to get a a different block and i would guess those were AA brand pistons as they a have somewhat of a reputation for that particular failure

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:47 am 
WB Contributor

made in china perhaps?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:52 am 

I got a block as-41 clearance for 88 mm crank 94 mm jug's full flowed already welded behind #3 thrust is good 325.00

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:19 pm 

ridenrace6 wrote:
probably best to get a a different block and i would guess those were AA brand pistons as they a have somewhat of a reputation for that particular failure

Thats what I thought too, was it was probably AA branded piston. Well, tore it apart today, and they are Mahle. Surprised me.

Doesnt appear to have hurt the rods....

And the biggest sigh of relief.... Head isn't hurt.

darrell wrote:
I got a block as-41 clearance for 88 mm crank 94 mm jug's full flowed already welded behind #3 thrust is good 325.00

Might be interested, but will be a few weeks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:20 pm 

For some reason it cut off half my pictures....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:33 pm 

Wherever you are posting pics from should allow you to re-size them. In photobucket you can re-size them proportionately and if you start with 600 x ### it will automatically make the second number whatever it needs to be. 600 will get you the full pic.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:27 pm 

Is the rod still free on the crank? What size engine,how long are the rods,whats the compression,how much timing do you run? Also can you post a pic of the piston tops and both heads?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:55 pm 

Aaron Creech wrote:
Is the rod still free on the crank? What size engine,how long are the rods,whats the compression,how much timing do you run? Also can you post a pic of the piston tops and both heads?

Yes, rods are free on the crank. Hell, motor still ran. 2332, Rods are 5.6 H-beam, 10.5-1 compression, not sure of the timing. Will see about getting pics of the piston tops and the other head. Tearing the motor down at a friends house.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:41 pm 
WB Competitor

next time you will think twice before you try to wake me up.lol you realy got lucky with the lack of damage. now hurry up and get the damn thing fixed.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:47 pm 

racefreakj77 wrote:
next time you will think twice before you try to wake me up.lol you realy got lucky with the lack of damage. now hurry up and get the damn thing fixed.

Bite me.

And what brand pistons would ya'll recommend? Definitely want forged I think, would like it in a kit. Not so sure about Mahles now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:19 am 

The mahle pistons are fine if you can find new ones.If not you are stuck with buying wiseco or JE forged pistons. That piston failed for a reason,possibly detonation,could have been touching the head due to tight deck. Were you using teflon buttons?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:24 pm 

Aaron Creech wrote:
The mahle pistons are fine if you can find new ones.If not you are stuck with buying wiseco or JE forged pistons. That piston failed for a reason,possibly detonation,could have been touching the head due to tight deck. Were you using teflon buttons?

Unsure if it might have been touching the head, but the carbon suggests it wasn't. Was teflon buttons. I'm personally thinking it was a defective piston, but don't know for sure.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Air Cooled Engines