It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:26 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Air Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:00 pm 

I built an 1835 I just have stock 041 big valve heads. Its got a Engle 120 can and a single weber 44, it ran great most of the year but about October it started missing and just running bad at mid to high rpm I changed plugs, adjusted carb and timing and still I does the same thing what could be wrong

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:02 pm 

I am also located in Bedford Indiana and looking for people to ride with we have a small group that usually ride

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:15 pm 

Clean the carb ,all the jets ,make sure you ant sucking air some where..... check the timing ... adjust the valves

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:19 pm 

I messed around with the jets and float levels and changed the ignition and it does the same thing I did get a little faster throttle response when I changed the jets but I still have a miss

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:32 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Check for an air leak. That is one of the most common issues.

Here is the easiest way to check for an air leak;
- start the buggy and let it idle
- Take a can of starting fluid and spray all the rubber joints on the intake
- Pray the entire carb body (Not the air filter)

If the car stalls or accelerates while when you spray the rubber boots the carb, you have an air leak.

If you find an air leak, you might need to readjust your carb after you fix the leak.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:11 pm 
WB Contributor

This is from my days. Under a load from mid to top is low compression because of rings.If it don't smoke then, fuel starvation is a good one. Filter , trash in carb.Ice in low lying hoses. Coils play all kind of games when going out, so have a good one on the shelf to ops check.Where the spark plug wires screw into the spark plug ends. Clip off a 1/2" and re screw.Intake leaks run good on the top end because the vacuum suction pressure falls to nearly zero when the butter fly valves 1st open.That's why they need the squirt.So on the top end, the motor does not even care if there is a pin hole leak.But, the motor will miss if there is a lack of fuel.I've got a beer in each hand. Did that make any sense?Here is another. If you have a smaaall leaky fuel line and it travels above or nearly above the fill of your tank. Say a 1/2 tank and has to suck fuel instead of gravity fed ,(remember a static leak is way different then a high vacuum or pressure leak) your pump, under a load, had rather suck a little air than fuel.Especially with a good gas cap doing it's regular venting job.This starving problem would be on a longer hill climb.

Last edited by 2800passat on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:30 pm 

It doesn't smoke yet but I did put a bigger jets in it. I'm leaning more toward the spark side of it although I have a couple blue Bosch coils and two elec ign I have changed. I wonder if it isn't in the distributor it has chewed two caps up and rotors could it be bent?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:38 pm 
WB Contributor

about 15 years ago the aftermarket pukes put out some dist. shafts with some bad lobes. the only way they would run was to forget the lobes and run electronic ignition.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:31 pm 
WB Contributor

Oh! I love helping people , That's why I chime in all the time. Sometimes I may not have the rite answer, but, read up on vacuum gauges, They are 10K x's smarter than me! Make yourself a vacuum port on the intake.The gauge is $18 at Autozone.I think the port on a dellorto is above the butterfly valve so it may read wrong. Maybe I am wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:59 pm 

I changed my distributor and its running great thanks guys for the help

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:49 pm 
WB Contributor

if you changed the distributer and it runs better sounds like the dwell on your points was not enough to saturate the coil completely. this could be due to worn lobes or points not set correctly.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:15 pm 

I don't know what could have been wrong I'm running a compufire ignition

Board index » Tech and Fab » Air Cooled Engines