It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:00 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Air Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sump tank location
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:07 pm 
Site Admin

I'm gettin ready to mount the sump tank on my buggy and was wondering if it makes a difference how high or how far away it is mounted. I have a CB sump pump and the thought of gravity from mounting it too high, feeding oil back into the motor when not in use, keeps crossing my mind. Any suggestions,input or comments are appreciated. Thanks, Dave aka (Habitual Hiller)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:02 pm 
Hill Climber

I have only been around a couple fancy motors like your building. The one I have seen have been ahead and slightly above the number 3 cylinder.

Post subject: Tank
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:38 am 

Ask Roy were his is as far as the hight and if he has a valve. I've seen them with shut off valves and I've seen guys that dont run a shut off they "clam if you run the hose up to the hight of your oil level in tank it will not drain in to motor" I think that would make the oil pump starve of oil at times,just my thought. When I do mine Im putting a valve in it with a switch for a warning lite. mudd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:04 am 
BOTM Winner

Hey Dave, No matter how low you mount the tank, gravity will still want to let the oil drain back to the engine. It takes a while but it will drain back. I installed a valve inline at the tank outlet. If you are afraid you will not remember to turn this valve on, install a safety switch on it to prevent the engine from starting until it is switched on. I'm sure there are ways to run the plumbing to avoid installing a valve but I wanted to keep it simple. Keep your tank low in the frame to help keep your center of gravity low as possible. This is true with your fuel tank as well.Roy

Buy the best and cry once.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:29 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks, I looked at many pics of yours and got a lot of ideas. I'm sure you will notice them when you see it. How was the new year ride? Any pics?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:26 am 
BOTM Winner

Hey Dave, One thing I wanted to mention about the CB Pump you have, when I started my motor for the first time I had to prime the pump to get oil pressure. I don't know why it wouldn't prime itself. I just disconnected the line on the inlet side and squirted some motor oil into the pump and quickly reconnected the line. This did the trick. If you have a hard time getting oil pressure to build when you first fire it off, you might have to do this. The buggy is looking good man. Lets see some more pictures? You sure are going to have some horsepower! If you want me to build you a stout transmission, let me know. Roy

Buy the best and cry once.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Air Cooled Engines