It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:21 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Tires and Wheels

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rim and Tire Questions
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:02 am 

Well this is my first buggy and defiantly learning a lot. Currently running the old Jackman steel rim 15x12’s and a Good Year 31x15.50x15. WTB wide 5 aluminum bead locks but don’t know what offset to run. Currently the offset is 3.5in. Found a lot of the 5in. offset rims but don’t know if they will work and don’t want to find out the hard way. Running stock boxed trailing arms with wilwood calipers and one piece disks. Will the 5in. offset work? Also did my first grove job on my tires that had about 60% left. Will the tires spin on the steel rims? Any help will greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:25 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I went from 15x12 - 3"OS to 15x14 - 5" offset and the tires sit about the same spot. Make sure the shocks will allow you to come in 2". Might be less with adapters, but shouldn't be more.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:28 am 

Hi Ripit
I am looking for some wide five jackmans for the rear of my buggy. 15x10 or 15x12.
Do you want to sell yours when you get the rims you want???
Thanks
MoblMec
Tim

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:34 am 

Sorry probably not. I need a spare set.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:10 pm 

Any body else have any pointers or sugestions?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:53 pm 
Global moderator

Trial and error..try to show up at D&K april 17 and we will find some for you to try.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:03 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

if you are running a 3.5 inch offset now then you will only be losing about an inch of space once you put the adapters on so you should be able to measure how much room you have between your frame and shock mounts to the tires you have now and know.the calipers should be fine.i have seen 15x14x5 on stock arms.chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:47 am 

Thanks that is what I was curious about with 15x14x5 on the stock arms. The trail and error method can get real expensive. As far as running the grooved Good Years on the steel rim I should be ok right? Just run a little higher air pressure? I have also seen screws through the steel rim in the outer bead as an L cheep-o bead lock. But not looking to put a bunch of holes in my rim. :shock: Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:09 am 
Global moderator

Trial and error is not expensive if you try someone Else's tires and rims. Where is cortland?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:56 am 

In Ohio close to Youngstown. 1 hour north of Wellsville I go there quite offten. No where near Hazel Green, Alabama. I'm a loner when it comes to the buggy. I can't get any of my friends to join me.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:25 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

the 31x15.50x15 tire will work fine on the 15x12 steel rim you can run pretty low tire pressure also but remember the lower you go the more likely to lose the bead on it and have a flat mostly while on sidelings.i ran this for years and ran around 6 to 8 psi,i also found some stock car tubes with locking valve stems that was made for a tire of this size and ran them with no problems for years and would drop down to 4 or 5 pounds when needed to get out of bad stuff.but after i rode with willie at d&k the wife said you will have beadlocks and i love them an investment that should be made on any buggy imo.if you ride wellsville bite the bullet and get b/l's they will be worth it cause you can take all the air out and get out of bad places or cut a tire down and still get off the trail,piece of mind and not being down is worth alot to me.but mount them up until you get the beadlocks and run them you will be fine.chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:15 am 

gasman wrote:
the 31x15.50x15 tire will work fine on the 15x12 steel rim you can run pretty low tire pressure also but remember the lower you go the more likely to lose the bead on it and have a flat mostly while on sidelings.i ran this for years and ran around 6 to 8 psi,i also found some stock car tubes with locking valve stems that was made for a tire of this size and ran them with no problems for years and would drop down to 4 or 5 pounds when needed to get out of bad stuff.but after i rode with willie at d&k the wife said you will have beadlocks and i love them an investment that should be made on any buggy imo.if you ride wellsville bite the bullet and get b/l's they will be worth it cause you can take all the air out and get out of bad places or cut a tire down and still get off the trail,piece of mind and not being down is worth alot to me.but mount them up until you get the beadlocks and run them you will be fine.chad :mrgreen:

Thanks. I just needed some reinsurance that I would be ok. Only had the buggy for about 3 years, the first 2 were spent rebuilding the entire drive train. :cry: After finding out I bought a POS. :evil: That’s why I’m asking questions so I can have somewhat of piece of mind on a low budget. And yes can’t wait to get a set of b/l’s just for that reason of getting a flat in the woods. Thanks Gasman! Hope to ride w/u in the feuture.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:23 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

i will be at wellsville memorrial day weekend so maybe see you there and good luck.chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:01 pm 

I have a set of late model wheels with beadlocks on the outside, problem is i cant keep the inside of the tire on the wheel. Even if i run 10-15 lbs of air. The wheels are smooth on the inside surface so there isnt anything for the bead to snugg against. Open to suggestions! I have heard of a few things that might fix them but i want to make sure it will. Ive heard to have someone weld a bead around where the tire bead can catch it. Also someone told me to put like 16 self tapping screw threw the wheel and into the tire bead. Wondering what else can be done or if anyone has actually used the methods and if they work? Thanks for the input.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Tires and Wheels