It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:43 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Tires and Wheels

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:13 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

started cutting today, i am using an ideal 125 with a #8 head (half inch). I have it set at 1/8" for i do not want to go all the way down on the first cut really, and it cuts great, but i am having trouble removing the overlap lugs.... Trrying to do it with the hot knife sucks, and i was using a utility knife, which works, but is rough on the ol paws. Anybody got any tips on this to make the other 1.5 tires easier to do? Also, do you change out for a smaller head to get up close the the lug to sharpen it? Thanks, your info is appreciated!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:31 pm 
BOTM Winner

Try this....Image
After a few of them, that oughta get you going! :lol: :lol: I dunno Jeff, I've never cut that type of tire before, I have always cut boggers and swampers in the past when I was in the 4x4 world. Someone will chime in to help you out for real, PM Koko (kybuggyjr) he should help you out. Good Luck, Chad 8)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:22 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Location: rittman,ohio ----------- wellsville, water cooled chapter
i use a 1/4 round blade for cutting up against the v treds . if you run by home depot , lowes or that nice new menards you have look for a carpet knife and blades they are about 4 times sharper then a regular razor knife to cut access rubber off ! be careful those blades though will get you real good if even look at it wrong ! good luck jason ps glad to see your cutting them you wont be disapointed , be ready for wheelies and cv carnage now :!: :twisted: :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:56 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

i got one tire done today, looks badass. I tried brads method of a razor blade welded to a screwdriver, but it kept breaking the part that is crimped to theblade off therefore breaking the blade off. it worked great besides that, so i went back to the utility knife. the carpet blades looked like they took a special knife handle deal, so i didnt buy them. Thinkingg about trying a different scraper holder for the wallpapare scraper blades.... Anyways, one is done. did i mention my hands hurt like a son of a bitch!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:12 am 
BOTM Winner

For removing lugs a sawsall with a wood blade works great and is very fast

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:33 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

since you cant really get a sawzaw in to cut on a firestone i tried one of these

with a couple different recipricating saw blades, with little luck. I tried putting a sharp edge on an old blade and using that, but it still didn't really work. Finally, i figured out i could keep doing it like i was with a razer blade, but i ground the razer blade to fit in the slot of this nifty tool, this giving me more leverage and a much more user friendly grip. I cut the lugs off twice as fast.... almost done grooving on my 2nd. they look TUFF :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:06 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Need to see some cords Jeff. Don't be scared, cut them some moreā€¦. I have a tire grinder to help out on the side walls..

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:53 am 

man them sure are purty :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:56 am 

did you weigh them before and after? I was just wondering what kind of weight you lost with that conservative cutting. I am not really wanting to cut my new tires all the way to the cords the first time either

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:18 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

i am cutting a set right now so if jeff didnt wiegh his i will have an answer for you by the middle of the week.doing a few weight measure at diffrent stages also.chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:29 am 

are you cutting your 45s gasman or 23s? ive cut 45s like your to the cord and almost all the side walls for about 15lbs a tire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:36 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

i am cutting a new set of 23's 8 plys.i cut my 45's but didnt wiegh just the tires before but will the next time and you should cut all 8 plys to the cords i 32nds of rubber dont make them tthat much stronger imo.chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:59 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

yeah, i didn't weigh them, should have. I did notice they flex a considerable amount more. I took a little over an 1/8th inch of rubber off and probably over a quarter inch off where the top rolls into the sidewalls. BTW the picture brad posted is one of mine for those who didn't figure it out. Lol.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Tires and Wheels