It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:27 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Tires and Wheels

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What to buy? Tires
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:47 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I finally upgraded to a 2276 and I have installed a 6 rid tranny. Now I need to upgrade my 31 inch super swampers.

I was thinking about going with 33x14 boggers or should I just go to 35 inch boggers. Any thoughts?

I also have no idea what kind of rims to buy - Steel? Aluminum? I need a 4 lug 15x10.

I would really like to hear your thoughts..

Thanks
Dan

Post subject: Re: What to buy? Tires
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:15 pm 

Hi MickyMouse
This is MoblMec in Helen Ga. I am getting closer to geting my buggy built. I have my frame back now it is painted and the floor,roof ,skid and other pans are on it. I am going to Knoxvill this week to the vw show to pick up more parts from Tony from Beeline.
I was wondering about your 31 super swampers what size are they and what are you going to do with them.
I am tardeing into a set of 33x15.50x15 super swamper tsl for the rear of my buggy and would like a set of 30-31x10.50 for the front. Let me know what you have.
Thanks
MoblMec

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:41 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Wow... 31x10.5 Swampers would be some big front tires. Once I find something to replace my 31's, I would be glad to work a deal with you. I just need to find something 1st..

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:11 pm 

Mickymouse
Check these out.
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/pts/1457833914.html
MoblMec

Last edited by MoblMec on Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:20 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

MickeyMouse wrote:
I finally upgraded to a 2276 and I have installed a 6 rid tranny. Now I need to upgrade my 31 inch super swampers.

I was thinking about going with 33x14 boggers or should I just go to 35 inch boggers. Any thoughts?

I also have no idea what kind of rims to buy - Steel? Aluminum? I need a 4 lug 15x10.

Thanks
Dan

I saw your buggy at Tim's. Nice ride!

Why do you want taller tires? Taller they are, the quicker that 6 rib will break and the less lugging ability you'll have. Taller is heavier, more rotating mass and unsprung weight, less effective your cutters become. More weight for your motor to overcome. Buggy will feel less responsive.

Also, will 35's clear your tree bars and/or your torsion end?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:39 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Just an FYI
I run 35x14.50x15 boggers on a 14" wide wheel and they only measure 32-1/2" tall. I think the 16x35x15 boggers are 2" taller.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:48 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

kybuggy1 wrote:
MickeyMouse wrote:

Thanks
Dan

I saw your buggy at Tim's. Nice ride!

Why do you want taller tires? Taller they are, the quicker that 6 rib will break and the less lugging ability you'll have. Taller is heavier, more rotating mass and unsprung weight, less effective your cutters become. More weight for your motor to overcome. Buggy will feel less responsive.

Also, will 35's clear your tree bars and/or your torsion end?

I agree.. I think 35's would put a lot more stress on the six rib but my current tires are just too small and I do not get enough traction. I need something wider, that is why I like the 33 x 14 boggers. I would consider V treads but they seem to be very hard to find.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:57 pm 
Global moderator

I like my boggers but I also love the Vtreads,,I think it depends on what is friendly to your buggy, If you can get by with vtreads,,good,,,I needed ground clearance with my heavy buggy and suby oil pan (even chopped). I will be glad to loan you my vtreads so you can try them out,,,let me know.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:15 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Thanks Firebug.. I appreciate that.

If I wanted too, where can you buy V-Treads. It seems that people have lots of opinions on what V-Treads are better.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:41 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I think Tim at southern buggy's in KY has them in stock already cut

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:59 pm 

I have been runing 33-14 cut bogger for 7 years & likem . but not for every won or every place . they make 33-12

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:04 pm 
MickeyMouse wrote:
Thanks Firebug.. I appreciate that.

If I wanted too, where can you buy V-Treads. It seems that people have lots of opinions on what V-Treads are better.

Just V treads suck!!!!! Get only Firestone 23* bar tread tires. And they are very easy to find. Look on Firestone's web site under agriculture tires. They also have a dealer search. But I think Tim has them or can get them.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:54 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Thanks for all of the responses. I will call Tim and check the website.. I am still not sure V treads or Boggers. However, I will need to get some wheels before I can buy any tires

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:55 pm 
Global moderator

You need to decide on tires before you get wheels,,, If my buggy weren't so heave,,long,,and low,,I would have stayed with the Vtreads. Most of you guys can run either tire,,, and either tire is good,,but some buggys do better with one or the other. Borrow my Vtreads and run them before you decide. I also have a set of 35x10.5 boggers you can borrow too, :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:41 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Hey Marty, I'm wondering how V treads will work, also. Can I borrow your Firestones........... for about 3 years? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:21 am 
Global moderator

kybuggy1 wrote:
Hey Marty, I'm wondering how V treads will work, also. Can I borrow your Firestones........... for about 3 years? :mrgreen:

Only if you meet me at Stony lonesome this weekend and let me take a pic of your buggy with the boggers on your buggy :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:48 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I would claim that you photoshopped the picture ! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:50 pm 

Let me barrow them treds Marty. I fixing to switch to treds I think. But im looking at them for a more paddle tire look than what yall want with them. AND Larry cant put boggers on his buggy. They will hit is SISSY bars. Cant handle the big boggers. Hes a SISSY

Mouse - I loveeeeee my boggers (33x12.50x15 on 10 wide rim.) I freakin love them. I think if I would do something different I would get some wider. Rob likes the big 35's 15.50. But I would recomend little shorter tires but still a wide foot print. Also cut the heeeelllll out of them like I did mine.

Now here is the thing. I think the boggers are better than the treds and some places and visevera. In rockyer and ruttyer places I think the boggers to better like at Bruton Branch (dont think you been there) But like Ky and Ohio where the ground is more loose, you need wheel speed and a wide foot print. Also send the treds to Koko to get the dog ass cut out of them like the boggers.

The choice Id say is def between the bogger or the treds. Maybe if you rode more southern areas go bogger. More northern area maybe go treds. Either way I think you are gonna do just fine though. That is why there is such a heated battle between boggers and treds cause they both perform great in there conditions. But if you go bogger I think the 33 is best cause your kinda getting wheel speed plus highth. Just get the 33 wide. The 35's are freakin huge and more mass to spin over. Hope this helps buddy! All opinions.... 8)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:29 pm 
BOTM Winner

i think boggrs just not to big

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:16 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I think I am sold on Boggers and I want to preserve my tranny as long as possible so 33's sound perfect. Now I just need to determine the width.

After reading about the 33 x 12.5 and the 33x14, I think I like the 33 x 12.5. From what I read, the 33 x 12.5 are taller and both tires have the same tread width. (11.5 in)

Do you think the 33 x 12.5 can run on 8 inch wheels? If so, I can save some money and use existing wheels.

Special thanks to Marty for offering to lend me his tires. I still might take you up on that..

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:06 pm 
Global moderator

I'm thinking 10" wheels for 12.50 tires. If I were going to 33" boggers I would get the widest I could find and cut the crap out of them and put them on aluminum beadlocks.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:49 pm 
BOTM Winner

if you can run 10"wide rim's im thinkin it would look better and go better and if your to still run it on the road hear and thier i wouldnt cut them to much.if you run beadlocks on your rims you can just air them down real low when you hit the woods and ithink thay will take you and the girls any where youll ever need to go! later on down the road put vtreds on your single :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:01 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

boggers

Jesus loves me, but everyone else thinks im an asshole.

Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:35 am 

Don't run anything bigger than the 10" on the 12.50. I would know. With a 12" You have to use ether to mount the tire. It's also way more prone to popping a bead. If your gonna get the 33 I think I would get the wider tire. The wide 33's with maybe a 10 inch would be perfect combo. If you run a tighter wheel is does really help to keep the tire on the bead.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:35 pm 

most boggers also have different tread sizes with the different widths.. the 35x16 has way bigger lugs than the 35x14.50 and most 10.50s have bigger lugs as well.. i had a set of 38.5s on a jeep and the lugs were half the size of 39.5s.. i also think the wider 33s also have the bigger lugs i know the 33x10.50s do but probably too narrow of a tire.. and like someone else said not all boggers measure up.. i had 38.5s on the rear and i ran a 35x10.50 on the front of a cherokee i had and they were the same height

Board index » Tech and Fab » Tires and Wheels