It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:25 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Tires and Wheels

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 90 street 10 trail
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:26 pm 

I want an agressive mud tire for where i ride but somethign that gets good wear on the street...i was thinking KM2's

the other question is what is the largest size tire that will work with a stock 3 rib?....i want to work on getting a 6 rib but that 3rib is all i have right now...im am about 3 months or a lil more from buying tires so i want to know what to start looking for....i was hoping to run 35/12.50/15...that what all my friends jeeps have so i was hoping to stand beside with the same size....let me know guys!

Post subject: Re: 90 street 10 trail
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:11 pm 
WB Videographer

a 33in bogger that has not been cut on some light aluminum wheels would work great on the street and if there not cut they dont wear out that bad on the street

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:17 pm 

I am running a set of 33" Yokohama Geolander MT's for a most likely 60-70& street use buggy with a turbo for 2.3 and 6 rib. I am real happy with them. They have an odd tread in the middle that is supposed to work like siping. I am also running a set of 7-15 Yokohama fronts that are equal to 30x7-15 fronts that are radials.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:09 pm 

I used to run super swamper tsl for both street and dirt and they were good for me. Like you my car spends most of its time on pavement. If you can afford an extra set buy some street radials. I put 6in wheels on the front with 235/75/15s and 8in wheels on the back with 31/10.50/15 both a very street friendly tread and have loved them. They don,t look mean but man does it drive nice and much queiter. I dont mind swapping them when i ride.Image

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:00 pm 

a set of 31x10.5-15 will go good on a 3rib they are what i run they are remington wide brutes and i run mine on the road most of the time i would say at least 80% of the time and i can honestley say ive never got stuck do pretty good on some hills if you get enough speed before you hit the hill

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:14 am 

yeah i was trying to make sure that i dont screw up the tranny or have a tire that is not going to work with the gearing...

that is really the major question is if the 35's are going to hurt me on the street...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:07 am 
WB Videographer

DUBclub wrote:
yeah i was trying to make sure that i dont screw up the tranny or have a tire that is not going to work with the gearing...

that is really the major question is if the 35's are going to hurt me on the street...

the 35s will have good tall gearing on the street,but the first time u wanna spin the tires on pavement u will tear ur tranny or cv

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:33 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I run 33's on the street with a 6 rib 4.57 gear and it seems good to me. The 3 rib is low geared so a taller tire will help. But Chris is right it will put a lot of stress on your tranny if you beat on it. My tires wont spin, just churp and up comes the front end. With the way these buggies are designed weight wise, they hook up very well in dirt. And alot better on the street. I blew a pinion nut doing a 2nd gear wheelie on the street. But it was fun!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:53 pm 

Yeah thanks for the help guys since as i said "i am new here, and new to building these too" i have done alot of reading but it is hard to find the right info....i want a car that can hit the thousnads of speed humps and bumps and not bottom out...so now im build my rail...

The 35's is what i want but i was worried i would not have the right gearing to run them...i know that people run 31's on them alot but i have not heard of many people runnign 35's, that is why i figured i would ask...

the next area that im going to work in is my steering and brakes...i just got all of my brakes in from Gear One :) i have 4 piston rears on 3x3 arms with 930 cvs, with 2 piston front on 3" raised combo spindles with 4 x 2 arms...

what type of pedle assembly would yall recommed and two handle cutting brakes as well?,,,also pop-off steering wheel? :?:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:49 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

For what it is worth, I have been running 31 TLS swampers with my 3 rib and have not had any issues. I think the 31's are a good fit if you are trying to preserve your tranny. You can go bigger but you increase your risk of breaking something.

I just upgraded my tranny to a 6 rib so I am looking to run 33 or maybe 35's. Still not sure.

As for Street and Off Road, I have learned that you really cannot have both. The Swampers were good but really needed to be cut to work better. I now have two sets of rear tires. Street and Off Road... Although, my street tires are actually Revo's so I can still go exploring with my street tires.

Good Luck.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:51 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

they really dont make an agressive tire that gets good highway milage,the question is are you going to be on or offroad more and go with the best tire for where ou are going to ride the most.i work offroad alot and run agressive tires on my company truck and the bfg's have giving me the best milage at about 15 to 17000 at the most,but once you get about 8000 on them your really ready to get new ones agian,but that is in a 1 ton truck running around loaded to the gills,i weighed it at a truck scales and i was 8,460 lbs and that was with out my 4 wheeler in the back.but i would not go bigger than a 33 tire with a 3 rib and that maybe pushing it if you are rough on it you may want to go with a 31.chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:05 am 

thanks gasman and chad...i guess i will be starting with a set of 33/ 10.50 / 15 .... alright now what do yall think of the mud rovers or the new km2's? i am looking more for a mud terain :?:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:07 am 

DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE 31X1350X15 INTERCO'S.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:42 pm 

well i think i might have my heart on some 33 x 9.5 x 15 BFG AT in the front, and in the rear i could use a mud terrain because they seem to hold up well on my friends' jeeps and we dog the crap out of them!...

the rear tire size that im looking at are 33 x 12.5 x 15 that way i am not putting "too" much stress on the 3 rib...

Board index » Tech and Fab » Tires and Wheels