It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:38 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Tires and Wheels

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: aluminum front rims
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:25 pm 
BOTM winner/Master fabricator

what kind of front rims are you guys running? I want to get new aluminum rims, perferably with bead locks. i like to get as narrow as i can, maybe about 4 inch wide, and i am running four lugs. right now i have steel wheels with bead locks and the only thing those do, is the bead locks hold the rubber on the rim after i get a flat tire. and the steel wheels weight a ton, i need some of your guys superior knowledge on this.
dave

Post subject: Re: aluminum front rims
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:47 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

hey dave, i think you can get a 4" wide wheel from keizer but then you would have to run adapters,i know you can get 5".they are a three piece wheel also so if you want to change them out you can but a 12" half and then run 15" wide or what ever size you want really.if you look in this picture the bolt ring is steel and i was thinking about taking one of mine apart and sending the center section to insigator and have him make a set of centers with these flames for 4 lug and and fit the bolt pattern on my rims.i would say that would be better and take the wieght off of the steel center section and get rid of five big bolts to.if you want i got a contact to get these at a better cost than what the main web site advertises for.chad :mrgreen: Imageheres a link to both sites.http://www.keizerwheels.com/this is the main site.http://www.outlawraceparts.com/Home_Page.html.this is the site i got mine from.he has no idea what buggys are and is looking to expand on selling to us so he give me a good deal.his name is doug johnson and hes a good guy from what i have gathered,so if you call him tell him chad gillispie from wv the buggy guy told you about them and maybe he will give you a good deal or let me know and i will try and help you out.either way i'm all about helping somebody save some dough,it's to hard to come by to waste.chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:05 pm 
BOTM Winner

I think stock volkswagen rims are best. They have the perfect offset, so you have minimal bump steer, and are very cheap if you mess one up. And you dont have to baby them like alumuinum wheels, you can just take a hammer to it when you bend one.
that's just my opinion. The alumuinums sure do look good though. But if it's looks you want, you can always go with the chromed stock-size VW rims.

-Dakotah/koko

-Dakotah/koko
keep on keepin' on!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:26 pm 
Master fabricator

Dave you won't like aluminum front wheels riding at Wellsville, they won't last long there. The little extra un-sprung weight in steel wheels is worth the abuse they will take. Not to say your hard on things or nothin :roll: Ever think about adding inner beadlocks to your wheels and go with a larger tire like 6.70x15.

G
A

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:45 am 
WB Contributor

I run centerline aluminum wheels and beat the SHAT out of them for 2 years now. I never have a problem and I don't really know of anyone harder on equipment than me.

I run tubes and carry a valve stem. When the tube blows air the tire up lol.

"Lets go get stupid"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:25 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

how could you ever tear anything up the way you baby that thing kyle. :shock: :shock: .chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:32 pm 

Kyle wrote:
I run centerline aluminum wheels and beat the SHAT out of them for 2 years now. I never have a problem and I don't really know of anyone harder on equipment than me.

are those center line wheels the two piece bolt together ones? and do they have bead locks on them? what size tire are you running on those rims, some of the guys were telling me to run taller tires.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:07 am 

Kyle wrote:

HaHaHaHa Thats some funny chit there! Kyle only wishes he was hard on things! I cant wait till I take the secret throttle stop off it, 20' of air off the left of Scuby will be childs play,hell he'll need a parachute to survive! :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:06 pm 
BOTM Winner

I am running Centerline wheels also and never had problems with them since I put them on the new rail, I am running tubes in the tires also and they work like inner beadlocks when the psi is set properly, the wheels that I am running....http://centerlinewheels.com/view_wheel_ ... p?id=12574 I am running the 15"x4" ones and the tires....http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/imag ... ni_mag.jpg and the size is E-78 15" ones. This in my opinion is a very good combo when set up properly and having the correct tire pressure with the tubes in them, you don't want too much or your front end will bounce like a basketball. You should'nt need beadlocks in the front at all, just tubes, you will only need beadlocks in the rear tires so it will not spin off of the rim when taking off on low tire pressure.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:22 pm 

where did you get your center line rims, and mickeythompson tires at? i seen jegs has the mickythompson tires for 125 a piece, what about your rims?, i looked online and i couldnt find the specific 4 inch wide rims. when you say the right amount of air pressure in the front, how much do you run?
dave+

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:31 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

hey dave check out jc whittneys.http://www.jcwhitney.com/ALUMINUM-WHEEL ... _10110.jcw. see if you like any of these.chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:03 pm 
BOTM Winner

MadMike wrote:
Dave you won't like aluminum front wheels riding at Wellsville, they won't last long there. The little extra un-sprung weight in steel wheels is worth the abuse they will take. Not to say your hard on things or nothin :roll: Ever think about adding inner beadlocks to your wheels and go with a larger tire like 6.70x15.

i gotta agree with mike on this one. i watched dave hit left side of scooby at least a dozen times with a flat front tire on a steel beadlock rim, if that was aluminum it would have been garbage in no time at all. for those of you that have never seen dave "hit it" were not talking 1st gear starting at the bottom. were talking rolling into it in second gear foot pinned to the floor, balls to the wall! getting some good air at the top. the words "afterburnt" and "aluminum rim" do not belong in the same paragraph! imho!

**********"The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."
- Antonio Meloni

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:08 pm 
BOTM Winner

afterburnt wrote:
where did you get your center line rims, and mickeythompson tires at? i seen jegs has the mickythompson tires for 125 a piece, what about your rims?, i looked online and i couldnt find the specific 4 inch wide rims. when you say the right amount of air pressure in the front, how much do you run?
dave+

I got the tires and the rim at Drew's Offroad in Cincinnati and you can get the rims 3.5" wide too, Centerline makes them. I am running around 8 psi in my front tires, it performs alot different than 8 psi in the tires only, 8 psi will make your tire look almost flat while the tubes will make it look like you have 25 psi in them, but you don't.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:42 pm 

im gonna get the taller mickeythompson tires for sure, i went and weighted my steel rims with the tire, and it weighed 49 pounds each. i was thinking now, of cutting my steel rims up and making them as narrow i can get them with bead locks on both sides. but they will still be pretty heavy. i used to have a set of the cms aluminum bolt together wheels, and those seemed pretty tough. but when the buggy was in that fire it softened the rims, and they are like aluminum foil now. you guys are making it tough for me to decide.
dave

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:55 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

me personally i like the steel wheel on the front,helps keep the front end down and you can abuse the crap out of them,if you would have had an aluminum wheel at wellsville with that flat you would have destryed it.and if you put that kinda money in something you would have either had to took it real easy and limped in to fix it or have changed it then you wouldnt have had all that cool video footage lol.chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:56 pm 

well you guys have talked me in to it, i went up to summit yesterday and i bought 2 more bead locks. i welded the beadlocks onto the back of my rims and then i cut my rims up to see how narrow i can get them. this is what i got so far, it looks like it will work. i will post some pictures when im done.
dave

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:10 am 
WB Contributor

Yep I run the 4 inch wide centerline aluminum non-beadlock. I run a 550 tire on the front pretty sure. I run 20psi in my fronts. The 3 ribs are nice fronts I wouldn't run anything else IMO. The way they hold on the sides of hills is unreal.

"Lets go get stupid"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:13 pm 
BOTM Winner

Kyle wrote:
Yep I run the 4 inch wide centerline aluminum non-beadlock. I run a 550 tire on the front pretty sure. I run 20psi in my fronts. The 3 ribs are nice fronts I wouldn't run anything else IMO. The way they hold on the sides of hills is unreal.

Yea kyle, they may hold you well on YOUR style of hills. Here where we ride, they'd slide right around! hahahaha. Jk. I had to say it! :lol: :twisted:

-Dakotah/koko

-Dakotah/koko
keep on keepin' on!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:14 pm 

kyjr.buggy1 wrote:

Yea kyle, they may hold you well on YOUR style of hills. Here where we ride, they'd slide right around! hahahaha. Jk. I had to say it! :lol: :twisted:

-Dakotah/koko

what kind of tires do you run? i was thinking about getting some mickeythompsons mini mag tires, right now, I'm running those hay raker tires, i think thats what you call them, they are the ones with the home plate design. i want to switch because i want a little bigger tire up front.
dave

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:52 am 
WB Contributor

kyjr.buggy1 wrote:
Kyle wrote:

-Dakotah/koko

I can't wait to come to D&K :twisted:

"Lets go get stupid"

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:03 pm 
BOTM Winner

I run Douglas Billet wheels on my front end. Aluminum is very soft and bends very easy. Mine are beat to crap and of cource I am not even hard on Equipment (well maybe a little) :mrgreen: . I run tubes in the front tires because the beads get beat up to the point they would never seal and this has worked fine for me. I run the Yokahama tires and they seem to work well. .

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:29 pm 

sorry it took so long to post these pictures, what i did, was took my old rims and i cut about 2 1/2" out of them. i welded them back together, so the width of the rim is 3 1/2 inches without the beadlock rings. now i have beadlocks onthe outside and inside. i put my old tires back on, and they look alot better. i weighed the rims with the tires on them, and its still 49 pounds. i figure worse comes to worse, if i have a flat tire, it wont come off the rim at all.
thanks for all of your help
Dave

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:52 am 

I want a set!!!!!! :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:11 pm 

Very nice work.

If you can't buy it....Make it

You know, water and electricity dont mix (from a nurse at a hospital)

Two turtles don't make a rabbit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:00 am 
BOTM Winner

True centerline wheels are rivited togather, the ones that are bolted are cms wheels. The centerlines are better, but both need beadlocks to hold up. I don't run beadlocks just to hold the tire on, I run them to re-enforce the wheel, and to keep from bending the edges. Once you beadlock a cms, it is just as strong as a centerline. Also, a 5 lug is WAAYY stronger than a 4 lug. :mrgreen:

Board index » Tech and Fab » Tires and Wheels