It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:45 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Tires and Wheels

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:29 pm 
WB Videographer

i cut my side lugs off tryin to lose some weight

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:07 pm 
BOTM Winner

Why didn't you cut between the lugs instead. That would make them lighter and more flexable at the same time.

chris38375 wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:41 pm 
WB Videographer

Odyknuck wrote:
Why didn't you cut between the lugs instead. That would make them lighter and more flexable at the same time.

chris38375 wrote:

i cut the small lugs out,but my grooving iron has a wide head on it and it wont get in between the lugs,gonna have to borrow somebody elses to do it

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:44 pm 
BOTM Winner

How well do they work without them being cut between the lugs? I noticed on my 33 X 12.5s there is not a lot of meat on them like a "V" tread. The Boggers state they are 6 ply rated however they only have 4 plys on the tread and sidewall. Tere really stiff for a 4 ply tire.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:27 pm 
BOTM Winner

Well I got to try out my new 33 X 12.5 x 15 Boggers over the weekend. They put my "V" threads to shame. I was climbing wet and muddy hills that my "V" threads could barley make up when it was dry. I was also climbing hills that my "V" threads could never make it up. The beauty of it all was I did not have to hit the rev limiter every time I climbed a steep hill. Most of the time It was 2000 to 3000 RPM climbs. I was able to use 2nd geart for a lot of them. Top Soil Here I come :shock: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:30 pm 

i really hate to ask......but are these "v" treads you refer to cut firestones, or one of the other brands which are totally useless....sorry just really curious. :mrgreen:

John 3:16

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:50 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Crambo wrote:
i really hate to ask......but are these "v" treads you refer to cut firestones, or one of the other brands which are totally useless....sorry just really curious. :mrgreen:

I was wondering the same.
All V treads were not created equally, fer sure.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:58 pm 
BOTM Winner

Hmm! I just tpyed acomplete responce to your question and when KY posted it did not. Well anyways they are not Firestones, they are an 8 ply 45 degree "V" tread. I would not say they are useless. I would think they would work fine on a lighter machine with less power than mine. Also something with a 457 R & P. My R & P is a 483 and the wheel speed was not good. In a sense my 1st gear would out to quickly and you g\hads to be in it for second gear to perform well. Thye are 31" tires and when mounted on my 12" wide rims they were only 29" tall. The 33" Boggers are 32.5" tall and brought the gears right were they need to be.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:51 pm 

yeah, i was just kidding about the other v treads being totally ussless, i've seen people use them for flower pots with great sucsess. :lol: I was going to mention the gearing, 33s make a difference. All jokes aside, i've never ran a set of boggers but i would love to try them, i think they would be some great tires. i have a set of 45 degree ditch diggers they make a great trail riding tire, but i have ridden on the tree bars of a firestone buggy idling in first gear up a hill i couldn't make it up with these v treads on. i think that 23 tread really makes a difference. i know their have been enless firestone bogger debates on here, wasn't trying to spark one of those, i really was just curious. the mickey thompson baja claw has a 23 degree tread as well, we run some of those, but the bogger seems to be designed with cutting out the lugs in mind and the MT's leave kind of a funny pattern.

John 3:16

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:17 pm 
BOTM Winner

No problem, I was giving my thoughts on the differences I experienced between the two sets of tires.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:48 am 

looking for a set of 33X12.5X15 BOGGER or tractor tires AND A STERRING BOX FOR V W

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:38 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Location: rittman,ohio ----------- wellsville, water cooled chapter
pink614 wrote:
looking for a set of 33X12.5X15 BOGGER or tractor tires AND A STERRING BOX FOR V W

were ya from

Board index » Tech and Fab » Tires and Wheels