It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:39 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Tires and Wheels

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 4:54 pm 

the buggy I'm rebuilding came with 12 or 15", 5 lug wide rear wheels - I haven't measured them, but 31x10.5x15 are really stretched out on them w/ sidewalls hanging in the breeze. I'm converting it to IRS and using type 3 rear drum brakes which are 4 lug, so I'm need to go to 4 lug or use adapters. I'm looking to run a 31x10.5x15 or something like that, give or take an inch here or there. from what I gather it;s an ok size for a stock 1600dp. I've posted a want to sell / want to trade add on CL for the wheels but have only come up with buyers for my old wheels, so it looks like I'll have to buy new 4 lug rear wheels... it'll save me $50 if I go with the 8" vs. the 10" - and on my budget it's worth considering. Any suggestions, comments, insight?

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:57 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

if your just running 10.50's then go with the 8's but if your ever going to go bigger then spend the money once and get the 10's. jmo :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:28 pm 

I ordered 8" wheels from pete paulsen online a few weeks ago. Earlier this week, a new apprentice at work offers that he has a new pair of Carlisle Tru Power 29x12.5x15 tires that he'd sell for $100. Much discussion took place about the difference in rim width and tire width - I had decided to pass initially, so my counterpart bought them as spares (it's same as what he has on his buggy) - The wheels show up via UPS this afternoon, and just for giggles, I mount one of the tires to see how it looks. Now they're mine... :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:09 pm 

if you want some firestone 23 deg. 4 plys on steel wheels. He told me he wanted a set of 29's and 300 bucks for them. they are uncut

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:54 pm 
BOTM Winner

Those appear to be 45 degree tires. When you cut them (you really do need to) I would also cut a 1" wide notch in the middle of each lug. I found this to help on mine. I have also heard guys cutting every other lug out.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:30 pm 

I've seen / read about "all terrain" tires that were cut or grooved but have not seen it on a V tread... What else would I do to them other than cutting out the notch in the middle of each ridge? Open up the area in the middle where the lugs come together? Got any pics of yours? I'll also note that I'm not sure that I "need" more traction w/ a 1600dp and bug tranny.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:28 am 

These 29's do suprisingly well uncut. But yes, you should follow ody's suggestion on cutting them. You'll love the bite. & from personal expiernce, trying the 29's, a 1600 will still break them loose, therefore cutting the tires would be a good investment. i know a guy who does it 45 a tire

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:00 am 
BOTM Winner

The goal is to make them lighter and flexable. Cut between the lugs almost down to the corrds. leave about a 1/2" in front of the lug uncut. Also cut down the side walls. There are a lot of pics on the forum showing how tires are cut. I dont have any recent shopwing the notchs.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Tires and Wheels