It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:23 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Tires and Wheels

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re-Drilling the drums?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:39 pm 

Currently I have the rear drums from a bus with the pattern of 5 on 112mm. Not much fits this pattern. What I am looking at doing is making a drill guide with the 5 on 112mm pattern and a 5 on 5.5" pattern and redrilling my 2 rear drums. The availability of 5 on 5.5" rims are alot easier than 5 on 112mm. Comments? Thought? Other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

If you can't buy it....Make it

You know, water and electricity dont mix (from a nurse at a hospital)

Two turtles don't make a rabbit

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:33 pm 
Master fabricator

On the rear, one thought, disk brakes. Lots of guys have made various disk brake adapations Nisson, Subaru and many others. If I were to go through the time and expence to alter the rear brakes to fit a wheel bolt pattern I would go the extra distance to upgrade to disk.

G
A

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:32 pm 

I want to ressurect this old post to let anyone new to the hobby know that drums on a woods buggy are dangerous. I tried many configurations 20 years ago. They all suck!!! You can get a disc kit off ebay for about 200 bucks including shipping. Spend the money for gods sake. This is the first thing you should install if you are doing even moderate trail riding & for hill climbing they are a must. My buddy nearly took a 30 foot drop at West Point 20 years ago because his drums barely did the job since they were wet & muddy. I CAN'T STRESS THIS ENOUGH...DISC BRAKES MAY SAVE YOUR LIFE!!! DRUMS WILL GET YOU KILLED.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:17 pm 

dunebuggynut wrote:
I want to ressurect this old post to let anyone new to the hobby know that drums on a woods buggy are dangerous. I tried many configurations 20 years ago. They all suck!!! You can get a disc kit off ebay for about 200 bucks including shipping. Spend the money for gods sake. This is the first thing you should install if you are doing even moderate trail riding & for hill climbing they are a must. My buddy nearly took a 30 foot drop at West Point 20 years ago because his drums barely did the job since they were wet & muddy. I CAN'T STRESS THIS ENOUGH...DISC BRAKES MAY SAVE YOUR LIFE!!! DRUMS WILL GET YOU KILLED.

Totally agreed, you can make a cheap setup out of about anything..

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:57 pm 

I am all ears...where is this $200 ebay disc brake set up for a bus rear torsion assembly?

Been looking for one, havent found it yet.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:19 pm 

Start a new topic on something that is more direct to making your own rear disk set up. People see the title of this topic and skip right over it. I know people make there own rear disk brake setups all the time on here but when they read your title of your thread thier skipping right over it.. Even try a search through the archives you can probably find something..

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:49 pm 
Global moderator

Seems like some folks adapt the bus front brakes to the rear.. not sure how they do it :?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:01 pm 

Maybe, but I have drums front and rear on my buggy for right now.

Only reason I was wanting to do a cheap and easy re-drill of the drums was to get it rolling by the first weekend of Feb for a field ride. However, that didnt happen so now its time to pursue the disc brake direction.

So I will be heading to the brake seciton of the board.

Picking up some ground hawgs in the 35 x 15.5 x 15 size on Friday. I am thinking they are 14 wide not 15.5. According to their website, they didnt come in a 15.5" wide 15" tire.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Safe buggying is the only way to go.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:31 am 

My post was aimed more to the new guys to the hobby that are looking to make free parts work on their project. Most newbies are going to have car torsions & I was trying to head off a future injury trying to cut a corner & trying to make car drums work. Your bus torsion presents a problem that very few will ever face. I got a frame with a bus torsion & cut it out & swapped in a car torsion to make parts easier to find. This may or may not be an option for you but it solved several problems for me. Sorry for the confusion....Keith

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:59 am 

bottom line. its your buggy and yes you can redrill the drums.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:55 pm 
BOTM Winner

I had rear drum brakes on my red buggy when I got it. They worked ok however I had to take them apart and clean them after every ride just to keep them working OK and mean only "OK". General slow mostly level smooth terrain they are fine. Any thing like Wellsville Put rear Disk brakes on it. I also recommend front brakes to for places like Wellsville. I put drum brakes on the front of the Red buugy and they worked OK also however same senario of cleaning is required. I did put disks on the rear after the first season and never looked back. I really dont know if the Bus was ever OEM equipped with rear disks however it might be an avenue to persue. Or possiably adapt a set of modern car rotors (the style that slip on the lugs) to your drums.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:19 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

HOW TO PUT DISK ON BUS
You take the front rotor off a bus take the rear drum off leaving the hub [part with the splines] turn the outside of the hub down til the front rotor will go over it use front caliper off bus make your caliper mt out of wrist pins cut in half need to know more pm me

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:21 pm 
BOTM Winner

Sounds like Rock has the best and cheapest answer.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:22 pm 
Global moderator

Firebug wrote:
Seems like some folks adapt the bus front brakes to the rear.. not sure how they do it :?

Should have known it was Rock :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:23 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

That was the cheapest way in the old days worked great then you can make small 5 to wide 5 adapters

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:39 am 

Sounds easy enough. However, all I have are the wide 5 rims. I don't believe that the discs came in a wide 5 pattern, only the close/narrow type. So, I am looking at the S10 rotor/caliper setup for the buggy. Parts are inexpensive and plentiful.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Tires and Wheels