It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:01 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Tires and Wheels

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TSL SX How will they do?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:14 pm 

My 4 seat rail is used on and off road. I just finished building it this winter. After first ride I discovered that my 31x15.50 DOT Goodyear wrangler XTs are egg shaped. I really like the look of 15.50 tire but they are not going to work. Rim and tire only weigh in @ 67lbs. In a rush I purchased some TSL SX tires. 30x11.50 and some 10" baja rims. First thing I noticed on the TSLs is the center tread pattern seems tight. Not a lot of gap between lugs. Of course side lugs are massive and well placed. I wanted an agressive tire that was 30x11.50 yet still light for my 1641 with 3rib and stay this was all I found. So how will they do for general trail riding? Should I cut them for better grip? Anyone out there have tire cutting services?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:45 pm 

I think you pretty much answered your own question. If you are going to do general trail riding, then there is no need to cut the tires. After they have some wear on them, then you might want to cut them. They should do fine for what you are wanting to do. Also update your profile and tell us where your from. This will help determine who is close to you that may can help you out.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:50 pm 

Lol sorry from columbus oh area. I don't plan on doing anything crazy. Very light mud, and soft ground is generally what I ride on.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:59 pm 

No problem. A TSL should work fine. When you wear them out and need some cutting done, there is plenty of guys near you that can help you out with cutting them a little to help with traction. You can also get you a grooving tool and groove them yourself. The choice is yours! If there is any other question, just post them up. Most of the guys on here are great, and give helpful advice.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:33 pm 
WB Contributor

the tight tread in the center is to keep the noise down on the pavement. I would not sugest cutting your own tires if your going to use it on the street. you could create a serious imbalance and it will shake you to death at 50 mph. where do you ride? im from columbus myself and places to ride are getting slim to none.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:17 pm 

They are ok in dirt and mud. in wet leaves or grass,etc you will spin alot and have to work alot to get any where. i have a set and i use them mostly for flat tracking on my buddys track. I have better tires for playing in the woods.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:27 pm 

I travel to ride. Eastern Ohio, Haspin, Michigan. That’s why my buggy is street legal. I want to be able to enjoy it around here lol.

I had some very old crappy TSL on a beat up off road truck and you are right. It didn’t go very well in grassy leaf covered stuff, but then again if it’s somewhat hard packed not much does. Its very good point that cutting might disturb the balance too much. Think when I have them mounted I’ll have discount tire sipe them. That should help some and its $10 a tire.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:04 pm 

I ran mine on the street and woods for 2 years. Last year I got a set of street tires not only did it feel like I picked up 100HP the ride was so much better. Also cut the tsl really works great.

This is how I cut mine but I would really try to pick up a set of street tires I got rims and tires for under 100

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:13 pm 

bluebuggy wrote:
I ran mine on the street and woods for 2 years. Last year I got a set of street tires not only did it feel like I picked up 100HP the ride was so much better. Also cut the tsl really works great.

This is how I cut mine but I would really try to pick up a set of street tires I got rims and tires for under 100

Those look great! Did you have them balanced when you ran on street after cut? I have never balanced any tires on my buggys as most shops can't balance old vw rims. I have never noticed and issues but cutting lugs off tires is a whole different thing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:24 pm 

No I never had them balances one did hop around 65 before cut. I have only had them on the street one time cut only had about 2psi in them but rode about 5 miles doing 40-55 most the time but really didn't feel any diff from before. They are 31x13.5

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:10 pm 

I have them on mine too they are a ok tire off road. Like what they said before the center tread is to tight I plan to cut mine this summer. I bought a adapter to go from the wide vw 5 to vw 4 so I could mount and balance my tires for $35 thats all I use it for. Drews is having a swapmeet this weekend they should have them over there thats where I got mine.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:06 am 

Can most shops, like discount tire, balance the 4 lug?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:22 am 

Big o did my 5 lug street tires no problem at all

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:25 am 

I found this: http://aircooledtech.com/tools-on-the-c ... ing_beads/

Think I'm going to do this and add about 6-8oz or airsoft BBs. That way if I do cut the tires there will be no need to re-balance.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Tires and Wheels