It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:14 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Tires and Wheels

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rookie tire question
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:04 am 

I'm new to the hobby and just picked up my first buggy about 2 weeks ago now. My question is what size rear tires are the best to run? I'm running a 1641 and a car swing axle. My buggy currently has 33 buchshots on the rear. They are about half wore out but from what I'm reading on here 31's are the best to go with. I want the best bang for my buck and don't want to tear up trannys every time I go riding. Also whats the best front tire? I currently have 3 rib tractor tires on the front. Thanks in advance for the info.
Jody

Post subject: Re: Rookie tire question
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:11 am 

I run 235 75 15's on mine but I'm gonna be runnin 31"s that's the biggest ill ever go with my car trans. I'm also runnin 3 ribs on the front. What kind of riding are u planning on doin?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:41 am 

Mainly trail riding. Might play on a few hills but nothing crazy.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:42 am 

Well, there are a lot of factors that go into that decision. Tread, driver, riding terrain, etc. Personally, I would not use any tractor tread over 29" with a car trans. A tractor tread 31" (any size really) is a totally different tire, traction wise, than a 33" "mudder" tire. A tractor will grip where a mudder will slip. Grip = Broken trans/cv's. Additionally, a car trans is geared to high for a 31" that doesn't slip. Really, I would wait to use any tractor tire until I swapped to a 3 rib and bus CV joints. I started with a car IRS trans and 29" tractor tread. Shortly after, I went to a 3 rib and bus cvs and rode 10 years on that set up without breaking a trans (forward or rev gears) or a single CV joint....and trust me, I beat it pretty hard. Before the bus trans/cvs I was breaking car CVs fairly regularly. I only started breaking reverse and 1st gears when I went to 31" tractor tires and a bigger motor. Yes, 29" offers less ground clearance but you'll spend less money and time fixing broken trans/cvs.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:39 am 

Thanks for the advice. A buddy of mine has some 29" v treads I've been thinking about. Might try to pick them up.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:16 pm 

29's are the way to go. When and if you get ready to upgrade. you can buy weld on pivots and convert your swing axle to irs. and go to bus trans and cv's. have fun with what you have. I've had plenty of fun with stock stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:25 pm 

bugman505 wrote:
29's are the way to go. When and if you get ready to upgrade. you can buy weld on pivots and convert your swing axle to irs. and go to bus trans and cv's. have fun with what you have. I've had plenty of fun with stock stuff.

Thanks for the advice. That's where I'm at I wanna have some fun with it pretty much as it sits. Of course there's some small things that I'm gonna change/fix but don't want to tear it down just yet.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Tires and Wheels