It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:51 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Tires and Wheels

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: need some info on bolts
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:15 am 

So Im gonna bolt the tires on my buggy to have more fun. Its a 1641 dual port, 3 rib bus trans, work in progress. The tires are cut 32x10.50 buckshots and they are pretty beat. I wanna make sure I get the right hardware the first time. Im gonna run 40 bolts per tire (does that seem right for a 32" tire?) So im gonna buy 80 3/8 x 2 1/2" carriage bolts, 200 3/8 hex nuts (2 nuts per bolt with spares) and 100 3/8 x 1 1/4" fender washers. Im gonna bolt them, double nut each one, weld the tops and fill with slime instead of tubes. Anything I'm missing? This is a budget project, but even all the hardware I mentioned is almost $200 from Home depot. Anywhere cheaper to buy in bulk? Thanks guys

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:17 am 

from what Ive been told on a conventional buggy it will destroy your tranny..ive got weddle gears and was told not to do it :?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:18 am 

I have never done this but sounds right to me.

Look at this for bolts
http://www.boltdepot.com/
I have been ordering from them best $$ i have found

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:45 pm 

Tractor Supply sell theirs by the pound. Best deal I've found. :idea:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:03 pm 
BOTM Winner

I'm with rick, sounds like a tranny breaker!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:12 pm 
Master fabricator

Hillaholic ran bolted tires for a while, he would be the one to chime in here.
As far as bolts go the best would be like an elevator bolt. Big flat head, the only problem is they are not a hardened bolt so the would wear out pretty quick and all I can find is a 3/8-16 thread.
I can't remember if he had a bunch of trans problems or not.

G
A

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:42 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

If anybody else has an opinion chime in but I figure curt is as bout as well informed on bolted tires as anyone.I just revisited this topic other day myself and this is the answer I got to the tubeless idea.Chad :mrgreen: http://www.rail-buggy.com/showthread.ph ... lted-tires

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:53 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

conventional buggies come alive with them but dont go to big with them and your 3 rib wont last a day i would not run them without a built trans when my buckshots go bald ima bolt them and try it they hook GOOD

I DO NOT FREE BASE COCAINE

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:09 pm 
WB Videographer

Marine1 wrote:
So Im gonna bolt the tires on my buggy to have more fun. Its a 1641 dual port, 3 rib bus trans, work in progress. The tires are cut 32x10.50 buckshots and they are pretty beat. I wanna make sure I get the right hardware the first time. Im gonna run 40 bolts per tire (does that seem right for a 32" tire?) So im gonna buy 80 3/8 x 2 1/2" carriage bolts, 200 3/8 hex nuts (2 nuts per bolt with spares) and 100 3/8 x 1 1/4" fender washers. Im gonna bolt them, double nut each one, weld the tops and fill with slime instead of tubes. Anything I'm missing? This is a budget project, but even all the hardware I mentioned is almost $200 from Home depot. Anywhere cheaper to buy in bulk? Thanks guys

1. Don't use washers on the inside,they pinch tubes, you want 1/2" diameter & longer bolts [3/8 will break off],experiment with just a few different lengths 1st.
2. You will have to run a tube,get thickest you can find and cut another tube to use as a liner.
3. Use grade 8 nuts.
4.Drill small hole in tire, sharpen end of bolt while nut is on,so when you remove nut it will clean up threads.
5.If you can, rig up some kind of lever to enable you to push the bolts thru, use liquid soap for lube.
6. Slime will make you very unhappy once it gets between the bead and rim.
7. During welding use lots of water and weld just a little at a time, jump from one bolt to another, you don't want to get the bolt too hot and loosen up the hole.
8. Touch up welds from time to time, before they wear down to the nuts.
9. 2 spider diff will be 1st to go,then R&P or 1st gear, if you get too aggressive in driving.
10. Bolts make most hills easy compared to no bolts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5wGMaUMXUQ

Last edited by Maddog on Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:16 pm 

The techs at Rancho told me the only reason a vw trans survives having 31" or larger tires in the first place is WHEEL SLIP. They pretty much told me the worst possible thing I could do with that size tire is get it to hook up. I would say they were right. They told me that after I blew the ring gear to bits launching hard with 33's.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:07 pm 
Master fabricator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... BUVzgCHHuA
Maddog wrote:
Marine1 wrote:

1. Don't use washers on the inside,they pinch tubes, you want 1/2" diameter & longer bolts [3/8 will break off],experiment with just a few different lengths 1st.
2. You will have to run a tube,get thickest you can find and cut another tube to use as a liner.
3. Use grade 8 nuts.
4.Drill small hole in tire, sharpen end of bolt while nut is on,so when you remove nut it will clean up threads.
5.If you can, rig up some kind of lever to enable you to push the bolts thru, use liquid soap for lube.
6. Slime will make you very unhappy once it gets between the bead and rim.
7. During welding use lots of water and weld just a little at a time, jump from one bolt to another, you don't want to get the bolt too hot and loosen up the hole.
8. Touch up welds from time to time, before they wear down to the nuts.
9. 2 spider diff will be 1st to go,then R&P or 1st gear, if you get too aggressive in driving.
10. Bolts make most hills easy compared to no bolts.

I will add one thing, do any welding with the tire off the wheel.
If you haven't seen this before, take the time and watch this, it might save your life.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... BUVzgCHHuA

G
A

Board index » Tech and Fab » Tires and Wheels