It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:15 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Tires and Wheels

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:13 am 

Looking to buy a new set of V treads for my old Berrien, current V treads have been cut down as far as they can go and doesn't quite have amount of tread I'm wanting. Anyone ran any of these tires in the link below? I'm just kinda questionable about running that stiff of tire... Says its a 12 ply... Hell my current tires are 8 ply and they are some stiff fu*kers and a pain in ass to mount/break down. I'm afraid they'd be too stiff and ride like shit, not to mention possibly heavier than other V treads... Price is rather reasonable I thought considering price is for a pair with free shipping. Someone help point me in right direction!!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220761859881&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:35 am 
BOTM winner/Master fabricator

12 ply WOW :shock: they must be run flat tires :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:04 am 

thats a heavy tire

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:30 am 
BOTM Winner

My experience with 45 degree "V" threads have not been good. They don't have the traction I would have expected. Those sure look like tall lugs and would probably work great in deep mud however you will need to cut a lot of meat off the sidewalls to get the flex you need for offroad application. Try them and let us know how they work. BTW hope you have lots and mean lots of torque in your motor!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:25 am 

lots and lots of torque is a pretty accurate definition of the OPPOSITE of my buggy... Hence my username Snail Rail...:lol: I'm just sporting a STOCK dual port 1600 with a lil solex carb... It had a 1641 with DP heads and a lil cam but that motor was flat wore out, bottom end was at least. Had a ton of endplay. Anyway back to the subject, thats one of the other things I was afraid of. Too stiff sidewall and it would never squat or ever try to transfer any weight, plus would prob ride like a tank. I'm running set of 8 ply now, realistically an 8 ply is too stiff for general woods riding and hill climbing am I right? Isn't most people's preference the 4 ply Firestone? And thanks odyknuck for pointing out the fact that they are 45 degree, I didn't even notice.. :? correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the 23 degree dig better? Like I said this is only the 2nd rail I've owned and I'm still trying to learn all the tricks of the trade. BTW just to give you an idea what I'm running now, heres pic of the v treads I'm wearin at the moment

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:57 pm 
BOTM Winner

Yes the 23 degree tires are way better. Almost as good as cut Boggers. I know I just started a debate with that remark . Anyways with a 1600 motor I would stay with a lighter tire and consider a 29" set.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:16 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Odyknuck wrote:
Yes the 23 degree tires are way better. Almost as good as cut Boggers. I know I just started a debate with that remark . Anyways with a 1600 motor I would stay with a lighter tire and consider a 29" set.

V Treads and Boggers will always argue who is better.. Fortunately, I run BuckShots and they are better than both V-Treads and Boggers. :twisted: :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:24 am 

I've never ran cut boggers, but I'm always open for something different. Do they do as well as V treads? Not trying to start shit storm, I just never would have thought that boggers would dig like a V tread

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:47 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Quote:
V Treads and Boggers will always argue who is better.. Fortunately, I run BuckShots and they are better than both V-Treads and Boggers. :twisted: :twisted:

AGREE :D :D

I DO NOT FREE BASE COCAINE

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:55 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

but a bogger will do better than any vtire other than those firestones they both good some say bogers are better some say the kidney stones i personally like boggers out of the 2 my fav is buckshots but
try a pair of boggers and see what you think cause any of them v tires are no good unless you buy the firestone 23degree

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:00 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

and stay with 31s with your setup you will love them once you cut them

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:49 am 

how bout the TSL super swamper? Only reason I'm asking is cause a buddy of mine has a new set on his toyota truck and I could easily break em down and try em out. The luxury of having a nice tire changer!! :mrgreen: I'm gonna have to do something pretty soon cause the V treads I'm running are cut down to the cords pretty much and I'm running out of tread!! What size would you suggest in a bogger? Say a 31x12.50? What are they, 6ply tread and 4ply sidewall?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:40 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

i have ran them and a guy we ride with runs them i like them if you get skinny ones but wide i dont care for and you must cut them kinda like a buckshot and as bogger size i would say that would work well

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:54 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I have seen some very cool TLS tires that worked great. However, Boggers or TLS both need to be cut to get any real traction. Running them uncut will be very disappointing..

Here is my 2 cents.. The biggest benefit of Boggers is the variety of sizes. If you are going to stay with a 30 inch tire, the V treads will always work better because of their width.

A different idea to consider is the 45 degree V-Treads. They seem to work pretty well if you cut every other lug off..

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:32 am 

I think what I'm gonna do is keep the V treads on the 15x12 steel wheels and I'm just gonna buy a set of the wide 5 (dirt track racing wheels) and put a set of boggers or swampers on em. Another question, I haven't had much luck finding anything here local in a 31", would a 33 or 32" fit on back? Reason I ask is the best i remember the 31" v treads were pretty damn close to the torsion tubes that stick out on the rear. Anything easy I can do to solve this? I've found a ton of 33x12.5 used and cheap here local but I already know that going with 2" taller tire is gonna kill what little power I have. It's a compromise any way you look at it!! Do you happen to have a pic of some 45 degree V treads with every other lug cut to give me an idea of how much work I'll have to do? I've got a groover and just so happens I bought a shit load of extra blades a few weeks back

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:38 am 
BOTM Winner

If your going to try a "V" trhead and cut every other lug off then I would use a Sawsall with a wood cutting blade to hack them off. Then finish the last 1/8" with your grover.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:45 am 

theres a set of uncut good year 4 ply V-treads in the classifieds for I think $250 but I've yet to hear from him whether or not he's still got em or what... How are the good year V treads compared to the firestones? They are a 23 degree tire correct?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:40 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

the recent buggy of the month has every other lug cut

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:04 pm 

snail rail wrote:
They are a 23 degree tire correct?

The Good Year are 45 degree, Firestone are the only 23 degree.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:36 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

snail rail wrote:
I think what I'm gonna do is keep the V treads on the 15x12 steel wheels and I'm just gonna buy a set of the wide 5 (dirt track racing wheels) and put a set of boggers or swampers on em. Another question, I haven't had much luck finding anything here local in a 31", would a 33 or 32" fit on back? Reason I ask is the best i remember the 31" v treads were pretty damn close to the torsion tubes that stick out on the rear. Anything easy I can do to solve this? I've found a ton of 33x12.5 used and cheap here local but I already know that going with 2" taller tire is gonna kill what little power I have. It's a compromise any way you look at it!! Do you happen to have a pic of some 45 degree V treads with every other lug cut to give me an idea of how much work I'll have to do? I've got a groover and just so happens I bought a shit load of extra blades a few weeks back

You can either change your torsion bars, spring plates and caps or buy longer rear trailing arms and axles.. but I do not think a 32 or 33 will fit if you have long torsion bars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:08 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

stock arms you cant go bigger than a 31 best way to go if you want to run bigger tires is get some 2x3 arms

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:46 pm 

YEa I'm planning on upgrading to a set of 2x3 or maybe 3x3,but either way if I change arms my buggy would no longer fit on my little T trailer...its pretty close as it is now. BUT I'm not gonna let that stop me!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:08 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

you can go 2x3 arms and a skinny tire and then it will still fit on the trailer also the offset of your wheel can help have less offset

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:58 am 

decisions decisions!!!!!

Board index » Tech and Fab » Tires and Wheels