It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:42 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Parts Fabrication

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:47 pm 

Quite comfy on ours, do it most of the time it's out :lol:

But then part of that is probably the valving in the dampers, given the last time we went for them gassing up the bloke took one look at them and just went "What the fudge is going on there!" :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:04 pm 

ImmortalSoul219 wrote:
Huey wrote:
OK, I like to save a little money when I can. Me and my brother both run water cooled engines that are a little heavy compared to a air cooled engine. We run 3 x 3 arms with the torsion bars cranked up a little and added coil over shocks to help out. The torsions by themselves are not strong enough for the extra weight and the added leverage of the 3 x 3 arms. We run a Monroe shock for a 2000 chevrolet c1500 suburban 2wd truck part number 58639. You can look up the specs on the Monroe website.

Huey

Same shocks and setup Im using at the moment

Question for both of you: Why did you go w/ the 58639 instead of the 58640? it's for a dodge, but has the same mounts and about 2 1/2 inches more travel... same price.

Is the 60# spring load enough to leave your torsions neutral (ish) and still have no squat, I've got a swing arm (gotta start somewhere) and was thinking about getting these and building an adjustable upper mount to fine tune my ride height, are the springs stiff enough to say, go from street to trail w/ maybe a three inch or so adjuster?

What about over-the counter air shocks? They're great on the minivan, but I question the ride on a buggy.

No heavy offroading here, just playin' on the trails and getting into some mud (and street driving).

Thoughts?

(I'da started a new thread, but this was easier).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:54 pm 

The 58639 has enough travel for what we are doing running the Bus CV's and ride smooth on the trails. Maybe with 930's a little more travel would be better. I never really thought about the 58640 shock made for the Dodge. The 60# spring works great without a passenger. It could stand to be a little larger when adding passengers or maybe just mount it closer to the wheel end of the trailing arm. Keep in mind me and my passenger combined usually add up to over 425 pounds. I blame it on Budweiser :lol:

Huey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:09 am 

I just changed my buggy to running torsion bars with no preload on them and Fox 2.0 air shocks. The shocks are 12" travel. I have 2x3 arms, and prepped type 4 CV's. So far I am very happy with this set up. It provides a very nice progressive rate. I now want to put air shocks up front and do away with the torsion leafs. However, if it's Coil-overs vs torsion bars, go coil overs if you can afford it!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:15 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

i have ran everything but airbags and eventually i will also try these.it really dosent matter what you use it still has to be set up for driving style and buggys ability.with the coils it took alot of time and money and most of all patience to change springs and adjust it until it felt reasonably good at the way "i" like to ride.now as far as on the trail with my close to 2300lb buggy it rode good but when id get on some serious hills it seemed like it wanted to wheels spin like it was to stiff and really never felt good backing off cause it was like it felt stiff if nthat makes sense.so when id soften it up to climb it rode like a boat on the trails kinda of bouncey sorta like floating along it was smooth but kinda weak feeling.with this same buggy i put 31mm bars in it,took the coilover off and ran bds shocks just stock wieght but for a lifted surburban.never put a preload on the bars just enough to get them to set down on the stops and it was the best riding buggy ive ever owned,until the splines broke out of the housing.now i'm running a set of fox 2.5 w/remote resv.230lb in them and a set of air shocks for a late 70's f-350 with around 35lb air no torsion bars and it does reaaly good.i can let air out of the shock or add to adjust for conditions.so as you can see it really dont matter what you use,you just have to adjust it to work with your buggy and your riding style.i plan on going back to torsion and put an adjustable torsion housing in to replace the splines and keep my air shocks.i think this will work best for me.chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:36 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

gasman wrote:
i have ran everything but airbags and eventually i will also try these.it really dosent matter what you use it still has to be set up for driving style and buggys ability.with the coils it took alot of time and money and most of all patience to change springs and adjust it until it felt reasonably good at the way "i" like to ride.now as far as on the trail with my close to 2300lb buggy it rode good but when id get on some serious hills it seemed like it wanted to wheels spin like it was to stiff and really never felt good backing off cause it was like it felt stiff if nthat makes sense.so when id soften it up to climb it rode like a boat on the trails kinda of bouncey sorta like floating along it was smooth but kinda weak feeling.with this same buggy i put 31mm bars in it,took the coilover off and ran bds shocks just stock wieght but for a lifted surburban.never put a preload on the bars just enough to get them to set down on the stops and it was the best riding buggy ive ever owned,until the splines broke out of the housing.now i'm running a set of fox 2.5 w/remote resv.230lb in them and a set of air shocks for a late 70's f-350 with around 35lb air no torsion bars and it does reaaly good.i can let air out of the shock or add to adjust for conditions.so as you can see it really dont matter what you use,you just have to adjust it to work with your buggy and your riding style.i plan on going back to torsion and put an adjustable torsion housing in to replace the splines and keep my air shocks.i think this will work best for me.chad :mrgreen:

glad to see you back on here gasman, its been a while :D

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:10 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

glad to see you back on here gasman, its been a while :D[/quote]

thanks :D it's good to be back. :D :D :D :D :D .i think :shock: :D .chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:14 pm 

Huey wrote:
The 58639 has enough travel for what we are doing running the Bus CV's and ride smooth on the trails. Maybe with 930's a little more travel would be better. I never really thought about the 58640 shock made for the Dodge. The 60# spring works great without a passenger. It could stand to be a little larger when adding passengers or maybe just mount it closer to the wheel end of the trailing arm.

Just curious, thinking more of the cooling part, random questions to guys that know.
Huey wrote:
Keep in mind me and my passenger combined usually add up to over 425 pounds. I blame it on Budweiser :lol:

Huey

That's why I drink colaradawada (Coors light)...
Guess if I got more bang for the buck I could put a pair of Fox's back there, not that I need them on this rig (yet),...and my kids do need to eat.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Parts Fabrication