It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:23 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Parts Fabrication

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:16 am 

I have been to Haspin twice and wheelers once and rode around my house in the woods and my shocks have not faded yet. Are you sure that you had the right travel shock and set up right.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:49 am 

Yeah Im sure they'll be fine trail riding but Ive heard several people complain they fade real fast when the heat up with alittle aggressive driving.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:20 am 

what kind of aggressive driving are you talking about.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:28 am 

Well, put it this way, there's a competive buggy over here that runs air shocks and he has to run twin 2.0's up front and twin 2.5's at the rear and he still suffers with a bit of fade on the longer/rougher courses..

It also comes into service riding about an inch higher than it went out :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:48 am 

if i was going to race my buggy on a course then i would run coil overs. but for trail riding, hill climbing and street riding i don't see where the air shocks would fail. i have had mine out trail riding, hill climbing and on the street and they still hold the buggy and give a very smooth ride. I have not charged my shocks since i got them set up. I had them set up before i went riding any where.
my other buggys all had torsion bars in them and they did not ride smoother than the one that has air shocks on it.
I would have to say that you need to run what every you think works best for you.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:01 am 
BOTM Winner

trailrider wrote:

Following me on the Trails! :mrgreen: :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:10 am 

I run 10" 2.0 fox air shocks on the front without any problems. Like trailrider stated, I think racing is where you would find problems with air shocks fadding. I chose to run coils on the back beacuse I was afraid of the air shock not holding my buggy up, but sounds like thats not particularly a problem. I think in a couple years there will be a ton of info on air shocks and there will be alot of them in the woods. I kinda plugged and played with mine, with just adding Nitrogen. I could certainly do some more tuning with oil/nitrogen but I'm happy with just getting my buggy out of the garage after 2 years of building. It rides better than my old torsion buggy with stock front arms the way it is right now (10" air with +4 arms). Its not caomparing apples to apples but I am pleased. I will be dooing alot of tunning/adjusting/adding/replacing I'm sure this winter, But its warm and sunny now!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:09 pm 

my arms ar 2x3's and mike set it all up. he put the lower air bag mount on a pivot. i'm running 933 race prepped cv's . pretty sure i use all of it. i have fox shoxs on the back with 16 inches of travel and use all but the last bit. running 35# of air in the bags now.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:21 pm 

i have the 2.0's on the front and they are great so far no problems. they are also very light. both together are 15 pounds!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:07 pm 

there are different ways to adjust the air shocks. you can add or subtract shims to the compression and rebound sides. you can plug bleeder valves on the sway a way shocks, add oil or nitrogen. there are alot of things you can do to them so that they perform the way you want them to.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:46 pm 

Odyknuck wrote:
trailrider wrote:

LMAO thats the driving Im talking about. Not bashing air shocks here just trying to give all the angles.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:11 am 
BOTM Winner

JRK wrote:
my arms ar 2x3's and mike set it all up. he put the lower air bag mount on a pivot. i'm running 933 race prepped cv's . pretty sure i use all of it. i have fox shoxs on the back with 16 inches of travel and use all but the last bit. running 35# of air in the bags now.

I still dont see how you are getting 16" with 2 x 3 arms without CV bind. What is your actual Wheel travel not the shock. Did Mike move the trans back?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:05 am 

dont think he moved the trans. i will have to check the actual travel and let ya know. how much should be available?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:08 am 
BOTM Winner

I am pushing mine between 11" & 12" before CV bind. Forgot to mention I am using 3 x 3 arms.

Last edited by Odyknuck on Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:23 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

JRK wrote:

16" of wheel travel is a ton for 2x3s. Could you be referring to ground clearance maybe?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:53 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Bruce, I am sure yours does ride as well as you say. But their is a big weight difference between yours and a loaded up 4 seater. I love how mine rides with torsions and coilovers, but its around 1800ish pounds. Anyone got a heavy buggy on just torsions that loves it???? Just looking to compare apples to apples.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:19 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Odyknuck wrote:
trailrider wrote:

I dont recomend anything VW for this kind of abuse, I managed with stock arms, but deffinatly needed longer arms with some travel.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:14 pm 
nitro_mudder wrote:
Bruce, I am sure yours does ride as well as you say. But their is a big weight difference between yours and a loaded up 4 seater. I love how mine rides with torsions and coilovers, but its around 1800ish pounds. Anyone got a heavy buggy on just torsions that loves it???? Just looking to compare apples to apples.

Wifes heavy 2 seater around 1800lb also. Would not put coil overs on it if you gave them to me.

But I am not knocking them, as I said I love the way they look. They look BAD, on a buggy. And I am sure for very heavy buggys (tanks) it takes more than stock stuff (like coil overs) to make it work. I would say build a lighter buggy then the stock stuff works great! (and cheaper)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:15 pm 
BOTM Winner

Bruce couldn't have said it any better. And like he said, it's WAY cheaper.

-Dakotah/koko

-Dakotah/koko
keep on keepin' on!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:17 pm 
BOTM Winner

id love to try some 2.0 air shocks on my buggy. but the stock stuff works and works well once you get it right!and the other thing is braking. the stock stuff is cheep and with most ppl running the stock stuff some one is packing an xtra!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:03 pm 

Air bags all the way Cheap Strong and easy to use and install. Keep in mind that the torsions you are running are Likely from the 70's or older and are pretty tired. and for the cost of new ones you could bag it twice.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:11 pm 
BOTM Winner

:roll: :roll:

-Dakotah/koko
keep on keepin' on!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:32 pm 

This is kinda like the bogger firestone debate. Just be happy and like your ride. :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:29 am 

Two words SUSPENSION SEATS oh ya!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:43 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Wanna see how well it rides .....Drive it off a 6 ft strait ledge :shock: When it hits bottom then you will know the diffrence :lol: :lol:

Board index » Tech and Fab » Parts Fabrication