It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:37 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Parts Fabrication

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:07 pm 

which would be better? take the rear torsion bars out and use coil-over shocks or stick with the torsion bars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:18 pm 
BOTM Winner

Providing you buy Good shocks like Fox or King then Coilovers hands down.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:41 pm 
BOTM Winner

Depends on what kind of riding you do. Yea, coilovers are okay if you just wana fly down trails all day... What do you plan on doing? Just trail ride, hill climb alot, or mostly trail riding and occasionally climb a little hill?

-Dakotah/koko

-Dakotah/koko
keep on keepin' on!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:49 pm 
BOTM Winner

kyjr.buggy1 wrote:
Depends on what kind of riding you do. Yea, coilovers are okay if you just wana fly down trails all day... What do you plan on doing? Just trail ride, hill climb alot, or mostly trail riding and occasionally climb a little hill?

-Dakotah/koko

So are you saying that Torsions are better than Coilovers for Hill Climbing? If so Why? Curious minds want to know.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:16 pm 
Odyknuck wrote:
kyjr.buggy1 wrote:

-Dakotah/koko

So are you saying that Torsions are better than Coilovers for Hill Climbing? If so Why? Curious minds want to know.

For what I do Torsions are 100% better, but you do need a good shock like a rancho 5000.

But to each his own. If you want to spend a lot of money to look fancy then go buy coil overs. But it all depends what you are going to use your buggy for.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:37 pm 

This is for a 4 seat frame doing trail and street

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:13 pm 

i vote air bags!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:32 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

MIKEW wrote:
This is for a 4 seat frame doing trail and street

I am extremely cheap and I also do a bunch of street driving. I currently run long torsion bars with two very inexpensive shocks on each side.

I really like the way mine rides on the street and off-road.. The only benefit I would like to have is the adjustability of the Coil Overs. Then I could easily raise and lower the buggy..

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:38 pm 

bruce 1 wrote:
If you want to spend a lot of money to look fancy then go buy coil overs. But it all depends what you are going to use your buggy for.

I have coils on my 4 seater, and I didn't buy them to spend money or look fancy. If I was going to ride around in a boat, I want it to ride as smooth as possible. It hands down rides better than anyone I ride with (with torsions). Now hill climbing, thats another story, its a boat :lol: . As said, depends what you use you buggy for, I don't think there is any need for coils on the street, woods trail riding they are nice. If its not rutted or rocky tortions ride pretty good. My last buggy hade 28mm sway away with 2x3 arms and rode pretty good. If your looking to spend some money on you buggy in the coilover price range, I appreciate my power steering more than the suspension!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:57 pm 
A. Cole wrote:
bruce 1 wrote:
If you want to spend a lot of money to look fancy then go buy coil overs. But it all depends what you are going to use your buggy for.

I have coils on my 4 seater, and I didn't buy them to spend money or look fancy. If I was going to ride around in a boat, I want it to ride as smooth as possible. It hands down rides better than anyone I ride with (with torsions). Now hill climbing, thats another story, its a boat :lol: . As said, depends what you use you buggy for, I don't think there is any need for coils on the street, woods trail riding they are nice. If its not rutted or rocky tortions ride pretty good. My last buggy hade 28mm sway away with 2x3 arms and rode pretty good. If your looking to spend some money on you buggy in the coilover price range, I appreciate my power steering more than the suspension!

I have never rode in anyones buggy that has coil overs on it that rides any better than mine. Mine is like sitting in a recliner, kicked back watching TV.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:06 pm 

I think ether or is only as good as the person setting them up.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:11 pm 

bruce 1 wrote:

I have never rode in anyones buggy that has coil overs on it that rides any better than mine. Mine is like sitting in a recliner, kicked back watching TV.

I like watching tv.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:47 pm 

OK, I like to save a little money when I can. Me and my brother both run water cooled engines that are a little heavy compared to a air cooled engine. We run 3 x 3 arms with the torsion bars cranked up a little and added coil over shocks to help out. The torsions by themselves are not strong enough for the extra weight and the added leverage of the 3 x 3 arms. We run a Monroe shock for a 2000 chevrolet c1500 suburban 2wd truck part number 58639. You can look up the specs on the Monroe website.

Huey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:53 pm 
Global moderator

instigator wrote:
i vote air bags!

, me too,,,easily adjusted from the driver seat,,cheaper that coilovers too. Plus a lot easier to disassemble the trailing arms. The air compressor comes in real handy also. Plus I have heard of more torsions braking than bags popping,,,,,can't believe I said that,,,,jinxed myself. :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:46 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Firebug wrote:
instigator wrote:
i vote air bags!

, me too,,,easily adjusted from the driver seat,,cheaper that coilovers too. Plus a lot easier to disassemble the trailing arms. The air compressor comes in real handy also. Plus I have heard of more torsions braking than bags popping,,,,,can't believe I said that,,,,jinxed myself. :oops:

better bring a spare to Wheeler's after saying that! :wink: 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:43 am 

Huey wrote:
OK, I like to save a little money when I can. Me and my brother both run water cooled engines that are a little heavy compared to a air cooled engine. We run 3 x 3 arms with the torsion bars cranked up a little and added coil over shocks to help out. The torsions by themselves are not strong enough for the extra weight and the added leverage of the 3 x 3 arms. We run a Monroe shock for a 2000 chevrolet c1500 suburban 2wd truck part number 58639. You can look up the specs on the Monroe website.

Huey

Same shocks and setup Im using at the moment

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:25 am 
BOTM Winner

I have not had good luck with Torsions. I have sacked out 2 sets of sway-aways and broke the end off of one of them. I do have a heavy car at 2800# with driver and passenger. So i felt Coil overs was the way to go for me. I find they work much better for my driving style and the terrain I ride in. Not to mention the adjustability of them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:22 pm 

i say air bags. i got 16 inches of travel in the rear and rides like a magic carpet.let all the air out and the motor can touch the ground. thanks to madmike!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:26 pm 
BOTM Winner

JRK wrote:
i say air bags. i got 16 inches of travel in the rear and rides like a magic carpet.let all the air out and the motor can touch the ground. thanks to madmike!!!!!!!!!

How did you get 16" of travel without breaking the CVs?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:05 pm 

Odyknuck wrote:

How did you get 16" of travel without breaking the CVs?

I get that no prob, but thats with "5x7 arms, trans moved back and 930 cv.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:13 pm 
BOTM Winner

I believe Jim has 3 x3s and stock trans position and T-2 CVs

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:50 pm 

i love my fox shocks they work great for me. but i also believe what bruce says about his ridding like a cadillac. he and charlie look to dam comfy to me :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:28 pm 

Odyknuck wrote:
I have not had good luck with Torsions. I have sacked out 2 sets of sway-aways and broke the end off of one of them. I do have a heavy car at 2800# with driver and passenger. So i felt Coil overs was the way to go for me. I find they work much better for my driving style and the terrain I ride in. Not to mention the adjustability of them.

You might as well be riding in a caddy with your buggy weighing that much lol.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:44 pm 

did you every think of running air shocks. I am running airshocks on front and rear with no torsions. the air shocks do not cost as much as coil overs. I think Fox shocks are 240.00 and sway a ways are 270.00 a piece. I have a water cooled motor in my buggy. My buggy weights right around 1900 to 2000lbs.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:04 pm 

air shocks fade fast over tough terrain.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Parts Fabrication