It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:13 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Parts Fabrication

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:02 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Anyone had any luck with any of these? If so which ones? Hate to spend $300 to get my rims done if I can by the equipment for that. And what do you use to bake on the powder, your oven? Lol, wife will love that.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:26 am 

A friend of mine has a Harbor Freight kit, and it does a good job. Yea, you will need an oven. He uses a old electric oven he keeps in his shop. You need to make sure your wheels will fit in the oven. They have to be able to hang in there with out touching anything.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:20 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

300 for just the wheels? Around here its like 25-30 a wheel including sandblasting.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:52 pm 
WB Contributor

my brother has the Hot coat brand from Eastwood Co and loves it he has done several things for me but $300 is way to high to have wheels powder coated . He also uses an old oven in his shop .

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:59 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

well thats 6 wheels also. Might have to look into the do it your self kits. Whats the powder cost?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:07 pm 
WB Contributor

ck www.powderbuythepound.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:08 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

nitro_mudder wrote:
Anyone had any luck with any of these? If so which ones? Hate to spend $300 to get my rims done if I can by the equipment for that. And what do you use to bake on the powder, your oven? Lol, wife will love that.

electric oven and cheap gun is fine for smaller stuff, (and some actone to clean the parts helps. )
It also helps to prebake your parts and shoot them while warm with those entry level guns.

Nitro, dont you remember seeing my oven? :roll: :lol:
Standard house electric oven works great for small stuff. I wired mine where all elements are heatin all the time so there is even heat from both sides during bake process. Also a good idea to put an all metal fan in there to help prevent hot spots, like out of a range top or something. Of course just run the shaft thru the side of the oven and blade inside the oven, the motor has to stay on the outside :oops: 8) .
Save the stove top elements , too. They will work inside the oven if your regular elements burnout.

Two electric ovens laid on their back with the adjoining sides cut out and welded them together as one makes a big enough oven for rear arms , or two wheels at a time, even a BMX bike frame 8) .Then make a lid out of sheetmetal and metal house studs stuffed with insulation . Wire the ovens together so one knob controls all the elements.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:38 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Great, now I just need a bigger garage :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:06 pm 

kybuggy1 wrote:
nitro_mudder wrote:

electric oven and cheap gun is fine for smaller stuff, (and some actone to clean the parts helps. )
It also helps to prebake your parts and shoot them while warm with those entry level guns.

Standard house electric oven works great for small stuff. I wired mine where all elements are heatin all the time so there is even heat from both sides during bake process. Also a good idea to put an all metal fan in there to help prevent hot spots, like out of a range top or something. Of course just run the shaft thru the side of the oven and blade inside the oven, the motor has to stay on the outside :oops: 8) .
Save the stove top elements , too. They will work inside the oven if your regular elements burnout.

Two electric ovens laid on their back with the adjoining sides cut out and welded them together as one makes a big enough oven for rear arms , or two wheels at a time, even a BMX bike frame 8) .Then make a lid out of sheetmetal and metal house studs stuffed with insulation . Wire the ovens together so one knob controls all the elements.

we got our own freaking macgyver :roll: your very innovated 8)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:55 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I have seen his shop. He is more like McGroover :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:39 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

nitro_mudder wrote:
I have seen his shop. He is more like McGroover :roll:

That was Koko's end of the shop. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:28 pm 

I have the Hot Coat kit from Eastwood. I was quoted the same locally... $50 per wheel. I bought the complete kit for under $200 and found a free oven. It works great! Perfect finish, cheaper and faster than spray paint! I would also buy the cleaner from them. I bought the gallon jug and use it in a spray bottle. I have done all my wheels, as well as about 50 other pieces. It is great, because any overspray just sweeps up off the ground, and all you have to do is blow the gun out with shop air to clean it. Be sure to only run about 8 psi with the gun. I say buy it!

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 5:30 pm 

kybuggy1 wrote:
nitro_mudder wrote:

I want to see some pictures of this setup lol

Board index » Tech and Fab » Parts Fabrication