It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:32 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Parts Fabrication

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: wheel adapter questions
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:46 pm 

I have read several threads on here about adapters and Im having the guys I work with make a set for me and i have a couple of questions.
first off, they'll be .500 6061 t-6 aluminum, 12" od, 3"id, vw 4 pattern to wide 5 (late model) pattern.
what size/type of studs do you recommend for the wide 5 pattern. from what i've gathered press in studs are the way to go.
any other info would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:25 pm 

i had a set of aluminum adapters made for mine they are an inch thick though what i did was take the od of the bolt for the wide 5 and went to advanced auto or auto zone and got that size od in a wheel stud and drawed it through with the impact gun and little oil it took a nasty beating off a tree runnin through the woods and is all still good if your worried about them breaking off they shouldnt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:26 pm 

i used 5/8 coarse thread race car studs
i got from speedway motors a set of 20
was 29.00 with the lug nuts

beeker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:29 pm 

volksdude2007 wrote:
i had a set of aluminum adapters made for mine they are an inch thick though what i did was take the od of the bolt for the wide 5 and went to advanced auto or auto zone and got that size od in a wheel stud and drawed it through with the impact gun and little oil it took a nasty beating off a tree runnin through the woods and is all still good if your worried about them breaking off they shouldnt

Hey thats a good idea on getting the studs through if you dont have a press,thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:32 am 

beeker - i checked them out on speedway motors and it says the knurled section is .685" - do you happen to remember what size you drilled these holes?
thanks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:38 am 

muff wrote:
beeker - i checked them out on speedway motors and it says the knurled section is .685" - do you happen to remember what size you drilled these holes?
thanks

hole should be 43/64...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:00 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

i bought 5/8 grade 8 bolts and threaded them through with red locktite, they shouldn't be coming loose. Using late model lug nuts... I got mine from my local bolt and nut supplier (ziegler bolt and nut house in canton, ohio since ur in ohio) and i paid around 24 bucks for 50 bolts and 50 9/16" washers. The smaller size washer fit much better than the 5/8 washers on the 5/8 bolts...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:28 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Web-Only- ... 23417.html

Just got mine today with a free socket

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:47 pm 

A simple way to install studs is to put a washer over the stud followed by a backward lug nut. Put a socket on it & keep crankin till its seated. You dont need a press or impact. Wow, you guys are spoiled :D :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:12 pm 

dunebuggynut wrote:
A simple way to install studs is to put a washer over the stud followed by a backward lug nut. Put a socket on it & keep crankin till its seated. You dont need a press or impact. Wow, you guys are spoiled :D :D

this is an easy way same as he said so you dont grind away at the aluminum adapters this is how we do it in a basic tool garage :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:27 pm 

hillaholic - i just ordered a set today too - couldn't resist that free socket!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:54 pm 

Buckmaster wrote:
volksdude2007 wrote:

Hey thats a good idea on getting the studs through if you dont have a press,thanks for the info.

i have a kit with 5 threaded nuts that fit most all cars that you just thread it on and it has a washer to let it spin and it pull the studs through without messing up your lug nuts and we've had it at the shop for about 3 years.. good investment if you do enough wheel studs

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:58 pm 

Using a nut to pull a stud into a hub is not the best idea it put a lot of stress on the stud, or that's what i was told by a stud manfacture.

hayshaker247 wrote:
Buckmaster wrote:
volksdude2007 wrote:

i have a kit with 5 threaded nuts that fit most all cars that you just thread it on and it has a washer to let it spin and it pull the studs through without messing up your lug nuts and we've had it at the shop for about 3 years.. good investment if you do enough wheel studs

(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)

Board index » Tech and Fab » Parts Fabrication