It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:50 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Parts Fabrication

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steering damper
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:06 pm 

I know a lot of guys on here seem to be running steering racks of all shapes and sizes. I am not ready to make that switch on my new buggy just yet, but go to looking at just how crappy a setup a stock damper really offers. Was wondering if anyone has came up with anything a little beefier or better that would fit in the stock spot. I have been looking at putting a damper that came off my Jeep on but its gonna be a bit more fab work then the benefits would probably even be worth.

Post subject: Re: Steering damper
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:44 pm 

Your steering wheel size makes an effect on how it steers. I like a bigger wheel, that cured mine

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:10 pm 

I have a 10" right now but I also have a 12" on the shelf. I have looked but never found anyone that made a good aftermarket damper.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:39 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I run one out of a vw bus. I think it’s been on for 2 seasons and beat to hell, but still holding up. I think they cost $60-$80 but I got a new one free that’s why I used it. If I had to buy one and spend that much I think I would use a Fox steering stabilizer. I think I priced a jeep stabilizer and they were in the $65 range and were to large in diameter for my set up.

I also agree about the steering wheel size. The rim offset also has a lot to do with it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:17 am 
BOTM Winner

On my last Buggy I used an emulsion shock and it worked quite well. Due to the compression/rebound damping difference it had more resistance turning left than right. I really could not tell the difference while driving.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:59 am 

Where can a man get one of those Fox dampers that will fit? Only reason I was thinking about the one off a Jeep is when I put the lift on my Cherokee I had the stock on laying on a shelf just begging to be put to use. As far as steering wheels go a smaller wheel takes less rotation from the driver to move the wheels. So does that make it feel worse or better as far as bump steer? I am not really seeing where the offset comes in to play but am listening if someone wants to explain that part.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:27 pm 
BOTM Winner

With any aftermarket damper mounts will probably need to be welded on. A larger Steering wheel gives you less terrain feedback. Its all about laws of leverage. Picture replacing the steering wheel with a piece of pipe 10" long and then one 15" long. The farther out from center you go the more leverage you have to combat the feedback. Basically its easyer to hold in place when the rocks etc try to yank the wheel out of your hands and also easyer to turn. Bump steer has nothing to do with feedback. It is the amount of toe in/out thru the supension travel. The rim offset effects Scrub radius. Scrub Radius is the distancs the center of the tire is offset from the spindle pivot point. Zero scrub raidus when they both lign up. The farther out you go the more leverage it takes to turn the Tire.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:44 pm 

Well that makes sense on the diameter part, and feedback is the term I was looking for instead of bumpsteer. I have also been looking at a Willy setup that comes with all the mounts needed to use, weld on on the front torsion and either use the clamps or weld the other to the tierod.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Parts Fabrication