It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:26 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Parts Fabrication

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: torsion
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:33 pm 

im gettin ready to put a torsion in my buggy any tips i seem to be having a problem with not getting my desired height with my motor in im at about 13 inches or so ive adjusted the torsion multiple times but when it settles it goes right back to its 13 inches i have a subaru 2.2 in it you guys have height from some of the buggys ive seen but when i get it there i feel as if i have too much angle on my axles and joints so any tips or tricks before i weld this thing back in thanks

Post subject: Re: torsion
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:52 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

roy you might want to pick up some aftermarket torsion bars, I couldn't tell you what size, but go with sway a way... or airbags!... also, if you have the torsion cut out, you should slick bottom it, weld the torsion on top of the bottom tubes instead of butting it up against... my two pennies..

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:51 pm 

sounds like an idea but thats gonna be another inch and a half lost guess its better than catchin my torsion on stupid stuff i also thought about getting thicker torsion bars but once again money is a little ruff what did you have into your airbag setup jeff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:19 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

i bought bags off of ky bc, but i do know that they cost $75 a piece for the slam specialties re-6, which is a non expanding bag, i believe firebug runs the same or an re-8 bag... so, about $150 dollars for the bags then you just need to make mounts, you may want to consider running a gas and an oil shock with air bags though, don't forget your limiting straps either.. you can get away with just running the spring plates and bushings without the torsion bars until you can make up some spring plate eliminators, i've had no problems that way yet.. also, slick bottoming should add clearance, not take away since you are welding the torsion ON TOP of the lower bars...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:27 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

my bad roy is ee what you mean, you would lose a little bit at the belly, but having the torsion out of the way may be worth that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:40 pm 

i looked closer at my torsion and the guy who welded it in, very sh*t like, already did this slick bottom form the way i understand it wether it was intentional or not who knows

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:57 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Running stock trailing arms? If so Extended arms do give a little extra height.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:27 pm 
WB Contributor

SQUARE BACK torsion bars are just an eeek fatter , don't have to be twisted up hard as a blue diamond (1 notch instead of 2) and ride great. My son has them in his and it rides very soft.But remember I'm the one who don't know what he is talking about and writes amazingly stuipid sh8t on here.So yall buy from California and have them tell ya they have to be specially lathed and baked and cooled.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:04 pm 

passat2800 wrote:
But remember I'm the one who don't know what he is talking about and writes amazingly stuipid sh8t on here.So yall buy from California and have them tell ya they have to be specially lathed and baked and cooled.

Yes, yes....It was one crazy idea I went off on & I PM'd you to say dont take it personal. I figured you could take it considering what Ive read on here. Sorry....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:21 pm 

i will be upgrading to 2 by 3 here real soon just tryin to find out this guys number that does them in butler pa it will be easy for me to get them being he is pretty close to where im at

Board index » Tech and Fab » Parts Fabrication