It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:20 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Parts Fabrication

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Torsion bars
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:15 pm 

hey Dave, who'd ever thought just trying to share an idea would turn into such a hostile smackdown...geez if you dont like it dont do it!! Well, my ears are open to ya Dave ,cause everything you've ever told me or done to my buggy through the buggy riding years has worked perfect. I'll be the first one to say I dont know everything about buggys, and my mind is open to new ideas, and have used ideas off this forum. :roll:
However if it didn't work for me I did not attack the author...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:55 am 

Reading all of this reminds me of when i told this stupid kid in my town that thought he had a fast car (aka honda with exhaust and air intake) to drill holes in his trunk for weght reduction...and in the floor everywhere but the driver...even the firewall...well about a half hour after i talked to him i heard over my scanner that some kid in his garage started a gas fire

needless to say the punk drilled through his trunk to the gas tank... EPIC FAIL

well worth my 5 mins in a stupid convo for that laugh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:34 am 

WOW....are you guys reading the archives? There are a lot of smackdowns for some crazy ideas.

Im sure there is a right way to implement this idea but I have seen a lot of posts that start with "Im new to buggies" & a newb taking an angle grinder to a torsion bar is a recipe for failure. That fun father/son project is cursed & quickly sold becuse a few suggestions were poorly executed & led to frustration rather than enjoyment. I try to encourage others to try this sport & I direct them here for advice. A lot of us are old farts with years in the woods & were all still learning. If I put something out there that wont work for 99% of riders feel free to beat ME up for it.

I was just having fun with this (spurred on by quite a few PM's from people who were rolling on the floor reading my stuff). I apologized twice for going too far & I think I annoyed a few people who's opinions & experience I respect. I will keep the comedy to myself & stick to the topic at hand from now on. I have a very thick skin & Im nearly impossible to offend but others are not so lucky.

My apologies to all for going too far.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:34 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

dunebuggynut wrote:
WOW....are you guys reading the archives? There are a lot of smackdowns for some crazy ideas.

Im sure there is a right way to implement this idea but I have seen a lot of posts that start with "Im new to buggies" & a newb taking an angle grinder to a torsion bar is a recipe for failure. That fun father/son project is cursed & quickly sold becuse a few suggestions were poorly executed & led to frustration rather than enjoyment. I try to encourage others to try this sport & I direct them here for advice. A lot of us are old farts with years in the woods & were all still learning. If I put something out there that wont work for 99% of riders feel free to beat ME up for it.

I was just having fun with this (spurred on by quite a few PM's from people who were rolling on the floor reading my stuff). I apologized twice for going too far & I think I annoyed a few people who's opinions & experience I respect. I will keep the comedy to myself & stick to the topic at hand from now on. I have a very thick skin & Im nearly impossible to offend but others are not so lucky.

My apologies to all for going too far.

Your first paragraph is exactly the same as I felt. His 'mod' might work for some, but is not a good idea to try if you are new to this stuff unless you dont get frustrated easy by a broke bar in the middle of the woods.

And as for your second paragraph.... Dont you dare to keep the comedy to yerself. I'll read a Bentley manual if I wanna read strictly tech stuff. I get on here to have fun!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:55 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

i was going to suggest drilling the centers out that will make them flex real good,and take off a bunch of weight.but i just figured all the old timers already knew this.chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:32 am 

Wow I just wish I could get to D&K or Wellsville. Spend the day ripp'n it up, then sitting around the campfire with some JD or shine and splitting a gut over some of these threads. Some times a question asked that's just a little wrong can be a lot of fun, just sorry to the expense of who's ask'n. (I've been both sides) Dave W.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Parts Fabrication