It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:36 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Parts Fabrication

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lotos brand equipment
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:17 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Does anybody use or know anything about this brand??
Looks too good (inexpensive) to be true, but I havent found much bad about it on the internet, only one bad ebay feedback. Seen it priced outright from $599- $649, about 25% of what most 50A output plasma cutters cost.
Doubt it would stand up to everyday use, but thinkin about it for home use , not work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0417111144

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:45 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Nope, but let us know. I think that is my next big purchase.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:20 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

What's the duty cycle compared to a name brand?

Turbo VW Sand Racer
Polaris Ranger

"If you don't run into the Devil every once in awhile, you must be going in the same direction!"

Davis Motorsports FaceBook Page

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:04 pm 
Master fabricator

Usually you get what you pay for, if you get it let us know how it works.

G
A

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:18 pm 

yea ive been looking at plasma cutters too. Everyone Ive talked to said said the same thing as mad mike. You get what you pay for and they said with plasma cutters pay the little extra for a good quality rig and you will be happy in the long run.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:33 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I agree Madmike, thats why I wanted to see if anybody had any firsthand knowledge of them.

The spec sheet on it said 100% duty cycle at 30amps and 65% at 50 amps. Very high compared to others.
SOMETHING has to be up with it though. Too good to be true. I use a hypertherm now, 110v. Its reliable and no problems, but not quite strong enough

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:25 pm 
BOTM Winner

here is a pic of the one i bought about a year a go off of ebay, everlast plasma cutter only. 60amp 60% duty cycle. 40amp 100% duty cycle. the only problem i had was the mother board wasn't screwed down inside the unit. i had to pull the case apart and secure it. other than that it has worked fine. keep in mind it doesn't get used everyday. paid 600.00 with shipping. odyknuck bought the combo machine he might want to chime in, he had some problems with his.

**********"The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."
- Antonio Meloni

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:56 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Thanks PB.
Yours looks so much like the one I was talking about, I bet they are all made at same factory, just different labels.
What did it do to let you know the motherboard was loose?
Ever tried cuttin thick stuff?
Does it run right thru 3/16?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:54 am 

Larry are the consumables(nozzles,tips,etc) readily available ? I have a 65a Miller and there 4times that price :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:56 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

mudd mutt wrote:
Larry are the consumables(nozzles,tips,etc) readily available ? I have a 65a Miller and there 4times that price :shock:
That is the only common complaint I have found about these things so far, you have to order them in a $100+ multi piece pack. Cant go to your local ScottGross store and get a couple new tips. :(

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:19 pm 
BOTM Winner

kybuggy1 wrote:
Thanks PB.
Yours looks so much like the one I was talking about, I bet they are all made at same factory, just different labels.
What did it do to let you know the motherboard was loose?
Ever tried cuttin thick stuff?
Does it run right thru 3/16?

the unit shorted out one day so i unplugged it and pulled it apart, much to my surprise there was the board just lying there. there was 4 small threaded studs sticking up that go through the the corners of the board, it was not positioned on them and was actually shorting up against them. easy fix haven't had a problem sense.
cutting 3/16 would be no problem. 1/2 plate is the thickest i have cut just had to do a little at a time otherwise the breaker in my main box would pop. get the extra consumables you will need them.

**********"The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."
- Antonio Meloni

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:35 am 
BOTM Winner

I bought one of the Junk China Plasma Cutters and it did not work out of the box. Internally the power switch was not hooked up. I reconnected it and it worked for 6 or seven small cuts and took a shit. They then sent me another and it did not work out of the box either. On both occasions the Vendor claimed It was UPSs fault, that they threw it around and damaged them. They double packed the 3rd unit and shipped it out. They also said they personally tested it before it shipped, however based on Inspection there it was never connected to anything. The last one does work however for how long who knows. You do get what you pay for! :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:19 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Thanks guys. Ody, your complaint reads just like the one on Ebay. Was that you? :D
Anyways, yall are right, "get what you pay for". Staying away from the junk, gonna wait until I can get a bigger Hypertherm.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:49 pm 
BOTM Winner

I dont recall if I even left feedback on it. I justified my purchase with it is as not something I am gonna use much, What a crock of shit mind set that was. :roll: When I bought my MIG Welder before the Plasma cutter I had a similar mindset. I am sure glad I went with a Lincoln SP175. I have run 2 - 12# and 4 - 2# spools of wire thru it. I suspect one of those cheap ass junk China repops would not have lasted thru one spool.

kybuggy1 wrote:
Thanks guys. Ody, your complaint reads just like the one on Ebay. Was that you? :D
Anyways, yall are right, "get what you pay for". Staying away from the junk, gonna wait until I can get a bigger Hypertherm.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:32 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Ended up with a Hypertherm 45. 15' leads, and a drag tip so you can lay the nozzle right on the workpiece.
Early Merry Christmas To Me. :mrgreen:

HOLY SH!T this thing is bad to the bone!! Rated to sever 7/8" plate, and I believe it would have no problem doing so. It cuts 1/2" like butter, with very little to no slag, piece falls off clean. Unit self-checks for correct air pressure and condition of the consumables. The thing that blew me away was how small this cutter is. Its maybe 1/3 the weight and size of a 5-6 yr old hypertherm 30, it comes with a shoulder strap its so portable.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:38 am 
BOTM Winner

looks like you made the right decision. i like that tip drag feature, i cant tell ya how many tips i smoked getting to close to the plate. heres a promo video
http://www.hypertherm.com/en/Informatio ... xAdvantage

- Antonio Meloni

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:15 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

kybuggy1 wrote:
Ended up with a Hypertherm 45. 15' leads, and a drag tip so you can lay the nozzle right on the workpiece.
Early Merry Christmas To Me. :mrgreen:

HOLY SH!T this thing is bad to the bone!! Rated to sever 7/8" plate, and I believe it would have no problem doing so. It cuts 1/2" like butter, with very little to no slag, piece falls off clean. Unit self-checks for correct air pressure and condition of the consumables. The thing that blew me away was how small this cutter is. Its maybe 1/3 the weight and size of a 5-6 yr old hypertherm 30, it comes with a shoulder strap its so portable.

if you dont mind me asking how much does one of those cost

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:06 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

$1525-$1699 most places I looked.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Parts Fabrication