It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:33 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Parts Fabrication

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Steerin box ideas?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:01 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Ok, changing my mind again. Going to try the s-10 manual for the first round. Its the cheapest one, and if I want I will have the mount and pitman arm done for the power steering box if I decide to upgrade. Plus I then have a non powered box I can take along as a spare if I ever have problems with any part of the powered setup. Might not be right but it makes sence to me dang it, lol. Plus then I dont have to get new tie rods made wooohooo, my wallet feels heavier already. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:54 pm 

Here is another link for you to check out ------->http://woodsbuggy.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4685&st=0&sk=t&sd=a Maybe it will steer you back to R&P. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:08 pm 
BOTM winner/Master fabricator

I'm using a power steering box out of a jeep cherokee, and when i mounted it, i put it, so the pitman arm is right in the middle, so that both tierods are the same length, i get very little bump steer, you dont even notice it. but you also have to make sure when you mount the box, the suspension is at midtravel, and the tierods are level. it works great for me. I'm also using a geo storm power steering pump, and then i went to speedway motor and bought a resvoir can. at first i tried running the belt from the crank shaft, up around the alternator and then up to the power steering pump, but that wasnt good enough, everytime i hit a puddle it would squeal and sometimes lock up, so i bought a double crank shaft pulley from compentition engenering. the only problem i have had so far is, the mounting plate i used to mount the box, i used 1/4 inch cold roll steel, and i bent it, so i cut the plate out and put a 3/8 plate in and i havent had a problem.
dave

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:22 am 

Kyle wrote:
Steve uses saturn s style racks like i had in my old buggy. they work awesome even without the pumps just loop it off.

93 Saturn S Type

You said you just loop the lines.I have two questions Is alot harder to steer, and have you had any problems with it wearing out prematurely? I was under the impression without the fluid flowing through the rack from the pump it would wear out quickly. Hopefully I'm wrong. If I am wrong I'm making a trip to pull a part and getting me a saturn rack.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:13 am 

wreckincars wrote:
Kyle wrote:
Steve uses saturn s style racks like i had in my old buggy. they work awesome even without the pumps just loop it off.

93 Saturn S Type

You said you just loop the lines.I have two questions Is alot harder to steer, and have you had any problems with it wearing out prematurely? I was under the impression without the fluid flowing through the rack from the pump it would wear out quickly. Hopefully I'm wrong. If I am wrong I'm making a trip to pull a part and getting me a saturn rack.

The fluid never gets down to the actual rack and pinion gear. You'll break one before you ever wear it out.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:03 pm 

SWEET!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:27 pm 
WB Contributor

Yep 2 seasons coming up on the same saturn rack. I don't have it anymore but its still in my old cobra buggyroy has (big jump pic haha). Yea I took one side of the line turning the wheel back and forth and filled the rack with fluid then looped off. Also turns like butter.

"Lets go get stupid"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:06 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

OK, got the box (s10) and pitman arm parts. Now I need the Rag-joint conecter to the box and maybe some sort of u-joints maybe. Any ideas on what I need and where to get it?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:24 pm 
BOTM winner/Master fabricator

any buggy shop would have those little universal joints. or you can look at MooreParts.com or you can just walk through the junk yard, some small imports have small universal joints on them. the ones i use are from MooreParts. if you can, try and put that gear box in the middle of the buggy to keep the tierods the same lengths, and make the mount heavy duty. i bent a 1/4" plate on mine and had to redo it with 3/8" plate. if you need, i coiuld send you a few pictures of my setup.
dave

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:32 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I have a half inch plate mount made. If I go central I need to get new Tie rods(no clue where to get the heavy aluminums that it has) and redo all the steering linkage, best way I agree. But won't be done in time to chase ODY and P-Bill this summer, lol. Ok so what do I need?

Board index » Tech and Fab » Parts Fabrication