It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:34 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Parts Fabrication

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steerin box ideas?
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:31 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Was thinking of Pontiac rack and pinion power steering. Or S-10 Steering box. OR aftermarket R&P setup. Gimme some feedback and pros vs cons guys.
Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Steerin box ideas?
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:25 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

nitro_mudder wrote:
Was thinking of Pontiac rack and pinion power steering. Or S-10 Steering box. OR aftermarket R&P setup. Gimme some feedback and pros vs cons guys.
Thanks.

Here are some shots of a customer's S-10 box modification.

S-10 steering box mod

Turbo VW Sand Racer
Polaris Ranger

"If you don't run into the Devil every once in awhile, you must be going in the same direction!"

Davis Motorsports FaceBook Page

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 3:44 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

My buggy came with a manual s10 box. It was 4-1/2 turns lock to lock and the bump steer was 3" and it sucked badly. I could hardly keep it on the trail if the suspension moved and when I steered it I had to work like hell turning it 4-1/2 turns. Subysteve gave me a power steering s10 box and that made it 2-1/2 turns lock to lock but I would have had to cut my shock towers and cross bar out to get rid of the bump steer. So I just pulled it out and put a knock off rack in. The knock off rack isn't bad but I have a big turning radius and 1 turn lock to lock so it beats your hands up a little. After driving Subysteves car 10' with a power steering rack someday I want to go the same rout he did. It was so easy to move. I know his was out of a Chevy car or something and still holding up. What ever you decide make sure you have the least amount of bump steer before fully welding it in. I got mine down to ¼” and happy so far.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 4:00 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

here ya go

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SWEET-MF ... tsupported

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 4:07 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I'm leaning towards an s-10 Power steering. How do I adjust Bump Steer???? I apoligize for my ignorance, but if I knew everything I never woulda joined the site, lol.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 4:08 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Oh, and subie steve, what rack did ya use and do you still like it?

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 4:12 pm 
WB Contributor

Steve uses saturn s style racks like i had in my old buggy. they work awesome even without the pumps just loop it off.

93 Saturn S Type

"Lets go get stupid"

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 4:32 pm 
WB Contributor

I used the saturn 95 cavalier rack. I love it, it gives a little feed back at the wheel but the power steering takes all of the work out of driving. If you go to the salvage yard they cant be expensive. I payed 30 a peice for them. I might have one left.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 4:37 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I'll run the pump, can't be to hard to figure out how to put one on my motor. Sure looks like the grand am ones I was looking at.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 4:38 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

nitro_mudder wrote:
I'm leaning towards an s-10 Power steering. How do I adjust Bump Steer???? I apoligize for my ignorance, but if I knew everything I never woulda joined the site, lol.

If you don’t know what bump steer is. When your suspension travels up and down if your bump steer is off your wheels will tow in or out causing erratic steering. Mine would tow out 3" and pull me left or right when it traveled up. You need to pull the spring packs out of the front end so you can easily cycle the suspension. Tack the box in cycle the suspension and see how off the bump steer is. If its off then you need to move it around (up/down/front/back) until you get the least amount of bump steer. Check http://www.thesamba there are a few guys that did it there, and one guy made an adjustable mount until he got it where he wanted and then welded it in.

Last edited by hillaholic on Fri May 29, 2009 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 4:39 pm 
WB Contributor

You should be able to use the original pump from your engine. I'm useing the suby pump with mine.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 4:52 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Sorry steve, still trying to figure out the sarcasm font on here. Lol, that was just me poking fun at the AC guys. I've seen how hard it is to mount a reliable pump on those. Well, at least I've seen failed attempts. :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 4:57 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Oh and HH I know what bump steer is, just no clue how to solve it.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 12:27 am 
BOTM Winner

i got a freind runnin a jeep box with power its great but the rack steve run would probly be better.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 12:38 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Also forgot to mention the power s10 box is heavy probably weighs about 30lbs.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 3:12 am 

hillaholic wrote:

NOTE : Sweet racks mount in front of the spindles so it would steer the opposite direction on a beam car! So keep that in mind also if you go to junk yard to find a rack off a car,get one that mounts rear of the spindles

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:56 am 
BOTM Winner

all this work just to go faster in the woods :lol:

**********"The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."
- Antonio Meloni

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:57 am 
BOTM Winner

Ya know Bill, I really think he wants to keep up with us in the Woods! :mrgreen: :shock:

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 11:23 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Sorry guys, just not a fan of breaking somithing, then putting it back the way it was. As long as there is a better product that I can afford. And your damn right, lol, I wannakeep up with you too. I loved flying thru the trails like that, and tired of hearing ya say you were going slow. So I'm working on it. :D :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:57 am 

The racks out of a grand am work well, the GT versions have a different (quicker) ratio. They work well when you brace them up properly because the the slide that your inner tie rod ends bolt thru is in the middle. This lets you use really long tie rods which makes taking care of bump steer a lot easier. They also use a "torsion bar" inside the rack that can be machined down to make steering as light as you want it.

End load racks are hard to get right because the short tie rods make bump steer an issue quicker as the suspension goes thru its travel. Not impossible but more of a challenge.

Moving the rack forward so that the tie rods sweep back some tends to be the solution for bump steer once you get it at the right height in the frame.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 10:00 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Ok leaning back to the Grand am again. Looks like around $200 total to go all new parts with warrenties.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:58 pm 

[quote="hillaholic"]My buggy came with a manual s10 box. It was 4-1/2 turns lock to lock and the bump steer was 3" and it sucked badly. I could hardly keep it on the trail if the suspension moved and when I steered it I had to work like hell turning it 4-1/2 turns. [quote]

Hello,
Those picks where of my brothers I installed. It works great. I put the pitman arm in the exact same spot as the original was. When I was done I didnt even have to adjust the tie rods. You have to modify the pit man arm so I made it a little longer than the stock one. I will count the turns and let you know, but He says it is " power steering" compared to the original VW box.

Troy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:59 pm 
BOTM Winner

nitro_mudder wrote:
Sorry guys, just not a fan of breaking somithing, then putting it back the way it was. As long as there is a better product that I can afford. And your damn right, lol, I wannakeep up with you too. I loved flying thru the trails like that, and tired of hearing ya say you were going slow. So I'm working on it. :D :D :D :D :D

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:47 pm 
WB Videographer

everybody we ride with here uses a superbeetle box and puts it in the middle,weld a plate at an angle and bolt it on,u cant wear them boxes out,jus like power steering

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:06 pm 

I'll add my $0.02 in as well. My R&P is out of a 96 beretta. I was going to buy one at the salvage yard for $40 but then found out that Autozone had the same one with a warranty for $78 plus core, which I think was $17. By the time I was done it came to right about $100 and some change. It is 2 1/2 turns from lock to lock. The power steering ports are looped back together as suggested earlier. Be aware, I havent had a chance to try it out in the woods.

If you can't buy it....Make it

You know, water and electricity dont mix (from a nurse at a hospital)

Two turtles don't make a rabbit

Board index » Tech and Fab » Parts Fabrication