It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:38 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Parts Fabrication

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: winch mounts
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:24 pm 

How are poeple mounting there winches. I am getting a beeline frame has anyone modifyed the front to fit a winch. Also is a 4000lb winch enough. (picks)

Post subject: Re: winch mounts
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:28 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I had a 2500lb warn and burnt up the motor and broke the cable the first weekend I had to use it. If I had a snatch block that probably wouldn’t have happened. I returned the 2500lb winch and bought a 4000lb warn winch and snatch block. I tried to pull a 4x4 blazer out of a mud hole and there were no trees to tie off to so we tied off to a 2 wheel drive explorer. I could not believe it; the 4000lb winch dragged the Explore and my rail into the Blazer.

This picture is how I burnt up the 2500lb winch.

I put the fairlead on the front beam to keep the cable from hitting my tie rods.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:19 pm 

I see alot of head scratching going on in the first pic. 2 questions: how did you get int o that situation and how did you get out?

Sorry, back on topic. Thanks for the pic of your winch mount. I have been trying to figure out somewhere to mount one on my buggy.

If you can't buy it....Make it

You know, water and electricity dont mix (from a nurse at a hospital)

Two turtles don't make a rabbit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:35 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

eggman wrote:
I see alot of head scratching going on in the first pic. 2 questions: how did you get int o that situation and how did you get out?

Sorry, back on topic. Thanks for the pic of your winch mount. I have been trying to figure out somewhere to mount one on my buggy.

I climbed the Pipeline hill at Wellsville 2 times with no problem, but the 3rd time I was going a little 2 fast, hit a rock which tossed me over into the trench. I thought it was going to roll 40’ down the hill but the rear engine cage and back tires got wedged in the trench. All I can say it thank god for winches. It took my 2.5 Warn with 50’ of cable, 4 20’ straps, and a guy named Red, driving a Bronco with an 8000lb Warn with 100’ to get me out. I was almost all the way out when the cable on the 2.5 snapped. We just took the broken cable and tied it around the bumper to get it out all the way.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:27 pm 
BOTM Winner

Mine is set up to use in the front or the back of the buggy. I used 2" reese recievers. The front is set up to store the Winch in the vertical position inside the front of the buggy. When you need it you slip it in the front of the skid plate as shown in the pics and pin it.. I ran cables to the front and back with 50 amp towmotorbattery plugs.
http://www.woodsbuggy.com/pics/ody/4.jpg
http://www.woodsbuggy.com/pics/ody/33.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:48 pm 

Odyknuck wrote:
Mine is set up to use in the front or the back of the buggy. I used 2" reese recievers. The front is set up to store the Winch in the vertical position inside the front of the buggy. When you need it you slip it in the front of the skid plate as shown in the pics and pin it.. I ran cables to the front and back with 50 amp towmotorbattery plugs.
http://www.woodsbuggy.com/pics/ody/4.jpg
http://www.woodsbuggy.com/pics/ody/33.jpg

Ody has a super nice setup, you would be well served to copy what he has done. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:57 pm 
Master fabricator

Yes Ody has a steller set up, but Brad is the king of winches.

G
A

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:38 am 

Yes, Mike and Khaney01, Ody has a great setup. I have the same type of setup on my Scout. Although, I have only had to use the rear mount a couple of times, it has came in handy. I will have to take a closer look at my buggy and see what is going to work.

If you can't buy it....Make it

You know, water and electricity dont mix (from a nurse at a hospital)

Two turtles don't make a rabbit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:04 am 
BOTM Winner

I will have to say that there is one downside to my setup. When you need it right now like on a steep hill you do have to get it into place to use it. Plumberbill can attest to that :lol: Overall I do like that its protected and out of the mud untill you need it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:27 am 
BOTM Winner

Odyknuck wrote:
I will have to say that there is one downside to my setup. When you need it right now like on a steep hill you do have to get it into place to use it. Plumberbill can attest to that :lol: Overall I do like that its protected and out of the mud untill you need it.

it is a p.i.t.a. :roll:

**********"The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."
- Antonio Meloni

Board index » Tech and Fab » Parts Fabrication